LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Issues (knocking/ticking/can't pull codes)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Issues (knocking/ticking/can't pull codes)

Car: 1994 Z28 Auto @ 144k miles Hooker LT Headers EGR deleted full exhaust new optispark new plug wires

At idle the car has a ticking noise. I think that is from exhaust.

Once car revs slightly you hear a hollow knocking noise. The car runs like ****.

I bought an Actron GM code scanner for this car and the SES light doesn't come on to even give me codes when the scanner is plugged in.

Could it be an intake manifold leak?

Also, when car is turned on it will start up and non of the guages work right off the bat. After 15 seconds or so the some of the dummy lights come on and all of the guages be gin to work.

I bought it for $1400 and I am trying to figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Josh

EDIT: The ticking and knocking noises are not related to eachother. The knocking sounds like it's coming from the front/top part of the engine.

Last edited by mtsumedi; 10-13-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Update: The guages work correctly now when I turn the car on. There was a blown fuse. I am still confused as to why they came on at all. Still cannot pull codes though.

I took the ECU out and looked it insides over very thoroughly and nothing appeared to be out of place.

Exhaust stinks of fuel very badly.

I checked and all fuel injectors are plugged in in the correct sequence. The driver side engine bank plug wires are correct but I haven't gotten to see the passenger yet because it is hard to get to.

I am going to dump the oil out and look it over for metal this weekend, but I don't think that's an issue.

The EGR stuff hasn't been completely removed I noticed. The valve on the back of the intake is still there. The long tube headers weren't made for EGR so the pipe at the front of the engine is blocked off and not connected to the exhaust.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

take the valve covers off and check for a loose or broken rocker arm, or a bent push rod.

Quick Reply: LT1 Issues (knocking/ticking/can't pull codes)