LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My BFG KDW's Suck...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im just a little under 20k on my nittos dr's but they need to be replaced now. not many burnouts and 100% street no track use
Old 10-17-2007, 07:21 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter what tire you have they, wear out, they dry rot, also when the pavement gets cold no tire has a great time hooking.

If the car has low miles on the tire and stays in heated garage it will last long and if only take out on warm days, the you will neevr see them "suck"
Old 10-17-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I run BFG DR's. I have heard nittos are the best for the street. If your that worried about traction get some DR but they will suck in the rain.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

BFG KDW's (and Mich Pilot sports) are very sensitive to temp. Once the temp gets below 60 or so, they are very easy to spin. At 70 and above I find them satisfactory on the street. They are not a race tire though.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have the dr nittos the 275.40.17 i have driven on them about a good 1000 miles and went to the strip about 14 times i done some real smokey burnouts. yet they still look like the day i brought them and they grip real good in the street and some people even say that they are real good with the rain. i would get some if i were you.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look, get rid of the stupid suspension stuff you have done, and ANY tire will do far better. Also, there are limits to ANY car/suspension/tire combo... if you drive too quick around a corner, it's going to slide.

315 will NOT help, probably just make it worse.

I run Kumho ASX all seasons in 275/40/17, make far more power than you do, and have no issues. Why? My suspension is stock 1LE on Bilstein HDs, not lowered, and proper alignment. As low as your car is, I'll bet it can't even BE aligned right.

On the other car I run 275/40/17, Avon M550 up front and MT ET Street radials on the back. In the wet it's suicidal, but they really do hook in the dry... but in exchange, I give up some cornering, they wear out in 3000 miles, and the car really can't be driven in the rain without a LOT of attention to driving, AND slowing WAY down.

The solution to your problem is twofold: slow down a little, and remove the lowering garbage.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran

^ i wouldnt go as far as throwing away what suspension he has done. all he needs are control arms and a torque arm. the SFCs he has DO come in handy.

being lowered is the cause of it. especially since he has no relocation brackets.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

I run pirelli p-zero nero tires. Great when they are above 70 degrees, stick like a **** unless you get them too hot doing burnouts.

Under 70, it doesn't take much to get them to break loose.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

I got Yokohama AVS Sports all around my car and I havent had to much problem with them, they are a summer tire, but then again I dont drive it in the elements. But when I do they are great especially when they warm up. Thats my expierence with um.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hot94Z28
I run BFG DR's. I have heard nittos are the best for the street. If your that worried about traction get some DR but they will suck in the rain.

once they have no tread on them Otherwise they would be fine for rain use.

I've used both the Nitto 555r Drag Radial, and the BFG DR. IF you want a tad more traction than a good summer tire and longer tread life, then go with the Nitto. If you want something that's going to stick BFG DR hands down The MT DR is a good choice also
Old 10-17-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Driver mod? I never had a problem at all in my car, I drove it throw the snow some times, all season tires are meant for that

BFG has KDWS they were a really nice all season and come on the GTOs standerd? I also had BFG KD dry tires, and those were not good in the rain, and shitty in the snow with a AWD car that I had...
Old 10-17-2007, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Put on some weld on relo brackets and it will hook. When I got my car it had 4.10 with an auto and had been lowered. Every time I hit the gas the car would go sideways. I put in a 9" this spring with relos a tq arm that mounts to the floor and basically all the rear suspension parts. The car will almost dead hook at the track out of the hole but still spins a bit into second gear.

My car is lowered and that was the entire problem with it hooking up. Get down on the ground with the car sitting level and still on the ground and look at the lower control arms. If they are not pointed up from where the mount to the rear end going towards the front mounting point or worse are going down hill you will never get the car to hook even with full out drag slicks. ideally for traction you want them to be pointing to about the back of the front seat on the floor in my opinion.

Call Sam Strano and talk to him about it and I am sure he can explain it better or the guys at UMI either one. The tires being wore out now is part of it but if it didnt hook when they were newer its not the tire its the car. Running 13.2 in the quarter unless you are spinning real real bad there as well is not all that much faster then stock so you should not be over powering the tires you have.

Lowering springs especially sportlines are for looks more then performance unless you get a complete set up of good shocks and springs they suck. Trust my I know for experience I would never have lowered the car but it was that way when I got it.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Like said, if you had KDs and they weren't good enough, then I don't think you will find what you want in a street tire.

Might try some BFG DR, or Mickey Thompsons if those don't work out. You will go through a lot of tires though.

I agree with the above though, it might be a suspension issue and not tires specifically.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

I have KDWs and would never buy them again. The reason is the Price vs my expected performance. They aren't much better than my Kumho's were at shearing water. I hate going on the highway in the rain.

In a slick parking lot I can easily loose control of the car. On dry roads they are easy to spin.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

KD is the dry performance tire( Love them)
KDW is there all season more sporty tire

KDWS is there all season sport tire wich come standerd on GTOs

Please use the right terms so no one get confused
Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

KDW is not an all season tire. It is a summer tire only. KDWS is the all season tire :0
Old 10-17-2007, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
^ i wouldnt go as far as throwing away what suspension he has done. all he needs are control arms and a torque arm. the SFCs he has DO come in handy.

being lowered is the cause of it. especially since he has no relocation brackets.
Nothing he adds to his suspension is going to change the fact that he is riding around on the bump stops. That suspension stuff he has done has hurt handling, braking, traction, ect.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by buffman
KDW is not an all season tire. It is a summer tire only. KDWS is the all season tire :0

I was close! ahhhh sorry
Old 10-18-2007, 04:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

what are the brackets you guys are talking about? what do they do and how does it help in traction?
Old 10-18-2007, 04:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Nothing he adds to his suspension is going to change the fact that he is riding around on the bump stops. That suspension stuff he has done has hurt handling, braking, traction, ect.
well being slamed TOO much will have an effect on traction. but he can still get the RLBs for his control arms for future help. they helped me and plenty others.

Quick Reply: My BFG KDW's Suck...