LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

best power mods for a LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best power mods for a LT1?

ok guys, im new here. ive been reading and searching as much as i can but there's so much info, it's hard to grasp all of it. as of now i have a 2001 Honda S2000. yes i know it's a hated import but i am about to make the move and go Camaro. i previously owned a 95' LT1 Auto Z28. the first week i had it, the tranny went out so i took it back to the dealer. i then got a S2000 but as previously stated, i am now wanting to go back to the Camaro. i know tons about imports, but little about V8's. with my S2000 having an intake, header and 70mm headerback the most i could trap was about 105mph. im looking for much more than that with a Z28. i'd like to get a 98 or newer so i could have the LS1 platform to work with but my budget is tight and i think i may have to go with another 95ish LT1 with a manual this time(my budget for a car is tight, i can get ample money for good mods). is the LS1 a much better platform or is the LT1 and LS1 almost equal to work with? another question is, if i had an LT1 or LS1 what are the best mods for each to gain big power? i want to have about 400rwhp and trap around 115mph or higher. ive triede to grasp the mods but would it be cams, exhaust, tune, headers, or something more? like i said, i tried to search so please dont hate me.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

mod for mod, the LS1 wil almost always be faster. 400hp in an LS1 is intake, exhaust, and a cam.
if your interested, im selling mine to get an LT1. the link in my sig has all the details.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Stock vs Stock LS1 is faster, more mods available, easier to work with. LT1 is NOT far behind it though. A few mods to wake it up, and its fair game.

Originally Posted by Z28_DAD
mod for mod, the LS1 wil almost always be faster. 400hp in an LS1 is intake, exhaust, and a cam.
if your interested, im selling mine to get an LT1. the link in my sig has all the details.
Interesting. May I ask why you're selling for an LT1, just curious?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Stock vs Stock LS1 is faster, more mods available, easier to work with. LT1 is NOT far behind it though. A few mods to wake it up, and its fair game.

Interesting. May I ask why you're selling for an LT1, just curious?
time to change. ive had it for 3 years(longer than ive had any other car) i have an LT1 at my machine shop with a few more cubes. plus hopefully i can get a TA. ive always loved the way LT1 TAs look.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

wow that makes me want to try and save and just get a LS1. are there any cams that work well with the LT1? is there an easy way to get 350whp out of an LT1?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kilgothephenom
wow that makes me want to try and save and just get a LS1. are there any cams that work well with the LT1? is there an easy way to get 350whp out of an LT1?
im sure there are cams out there that will get you to the 350 mark. im not sure what cams will though. im still learning about LT1s
Old 10-17-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For starters both motors only have 1 cam.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

i know that. i meant cams speaking in plural of various camS on the market. just like my s2000 only has a headeR not headerS. is there a caM available for the LT1 that is a dyno proven power adder?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

Almost every cam will gain very noticeable power on the dyno and for the driver. Its really up to you if you just want to cam it or if you want heads and cam. You don't want to over cam a car with stock heads or it won't be enjoyable to drive, it also will stop gaining power until you open the heads up so it can breathe with the cam. Search for Lloyd Elliott (LE), AFR, or Advanced Inductions. Those are 3 companies that have proven packages for Lt1's and LS1's.

Last edited by porksoda; 10-17-2007 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Search LPE, they are the best money can buy!!!
Old 10-17-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

As far as LT1 vs LS1...LS1 is the better overall motor. Hands down. I think anyone who says otherwise is stuck on their LT1. I for one..have had BOTH. Both are VERY good motors, and very capable of good numbers....but mod for mod, LS1 will be ahead every time. Its just the way technology goes. If you can afford LS1 buy LS1. But if you can only afford an LT1 car, dont worry, you are very much still in the game. I say buy the best overall deal on a good car weather its an LS or LT platform, though its harder and harder to find nice LT1s...witch depending how you look at it, is a good reason to find one as they are more impressive to see clean than an LS1 at this point.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:39 AM
Staging Lane

I have an LT1 and I agree LS1's are better and parts are easier to find. Ive had my car since new and I just love it to death, but thats my preference. As far as horsepower numbers go, there is one thing with the fbody that I am sure everyone can agree with and that is our rearends SUCK. Once you start getting between 350 and 400 it becomes a game of russian rulet (spellings not my thing) you never know when it will go. My advice would be build up your suspension a little bit and get a 12 bolt or 9" rearend. So when you start putting power into it there wont be a issue later to slow you down. Horsepower is like sex once you get it you want it more and more and more etc.

Last edited by DarkKnightTA; 10-17-2007 at 06:40 AM. Reason: typed too fast
Old 10-17-2007, 07:19 AM
Internet Mechanic

Mod for Mod LS1 is better, I have had botha dn I modded my LT1 nearly to the max. BUt then again you have a motor that was designed to carry the WHOLE GM fleet for the next decade and more.

On a LT1, you can do 400 rwhp and 115 mph trap, it all depends on what route. If it be it all motor (383 or better, big cam, good heads), or mix in a shot of nitrous. Or go the blower route, a nice D1SC Procharger is a fun day!!

The main question is, how deep are your pockets...
Old 10-17-2007, 07:50 AM

If you're on a budget, then go with the LT1, get some basic bolt-ons and then throw a shot of nitrous on it. The bolt-ons can get you to 280-300 and then a nice 150 shot will put you over the 400 rwhp mark.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

u could do something like this, full exhaust(600-700), gears (300), CAI(100) (cam and all stuff needed 1000) and 100 Wet Shot(500)
so for about 2500$ plus the car prolly 5-6g so lets say for 7500$ u can have a car pushing right around 450rwhp in an lt1, or u can go get a 1998 ls1 camaro or firebird with about 100,000 miles with 300rwhp for the same price
Old 10-17-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

but then again u might want to get some 30lb injectorss to, so add another 200 or so for that
Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kilgothephenom
ok guys, im new here. ive been reading and searching as much as i can but there's so much info, it's hard to grasp all of it. as of now i have a 2001 Honda S2000. yes i know it's a hated import but i am about to make the move and go Camaro. i previously owned a 95' LT1 Auto Z28. the first week i had it, the tranny went out so i took it back to the dealer. i then got a S2000 but as previously stated, i am now wanting to go back to the Camaro. i know tons about imports, but little about V8's. with my S2000 having an intake, header and 70mm headerback the most i could trap was about 105mph. im looking for much more than that with a Z28. i'd like to get a 98 or newer so i could have the LS1 platform to work with but my budget is tight and i think i may have to go with another 95ish LT1 with a manual this time(my budget for a car is tight, i can get ample money for good mods). is the LS1 a much better platform or is the LT1 and LS1 almost equal to work with? another question is, if i had an LT1 or LS1 what are the best mods for each to gain big power? i want to have about 400rwhp and trap around 115mph or higher. ive triede to grasp the mods but would it be cams, exhaust, tune, headers, or something more? like i said, i tried to search so please dont hate me.
How bout an LT4? Some LT1 cars have LT4 's in them if you could find them that will run with LS1's. If not buy LT1 put LT4 hotcam. I DD minefor bout year with no problems. Remember buy one with fairly low mileage and spend the extra money on a car that is taken care of it will be worth it in long run cause like the guy said before it is getting harder to find nice clean LT1 cars and lil birdie told me LT cars will $$$$$$$$ in years to come.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomLT1
How bout an LT4? Some LT1 cars have LT4 's in them if you could find them that will run with LS1's. If not buy LT1 put LT4 hotcam. I DD minefor bout year with no problems. Remember buy one with fairly low mileage and spend the extra money on a car that is taken care of it will be worth it in long run cause like the guy said before it is getting harder to find nice clean LT1 cars and lil birdie told me LT cars will $$$$$$$$ in years to come.
I would NOT suggest a hot cam. He owns an S2000 now which means he might have a decent daily driver already so theres no reason to go with a hot cam. Its simply a waste of time and money IMO to go through all the effort of putting a cam in and not getting the most for your money, unless you have emissions checks or need to daily drive it.

As for the OP, I would STRONGLY suggest saving up the extra money so that you can buy an LS1 instead. There are many many ways to make HUGE power with one. I would suggest going turbo with a nice set of heads and push over 550 to the ground. I don't care what any person on this site says about it, the cheap ebay turbo kit for the LS1 looks to be a GREAT deal. Just slap on a better turbo, a cold side, and some oil provisions and you should have a very fine turbo kit for less than what some people price gouge their kits for.

If not that, throw a medium sized (230 duration or so) cam in it with some PRC ported LS6 heads and a F.A.S.T. 90mm intake setup, and full exhaust and make well over 440rwhp.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
I would NOT suggest a hot cam. He owns an S2000 now which means he might have a decent daily driver already so theres no reason to go with a hot cam. Its simply a waste of time and money IMO to go through all the effort of putting a cam in and not getting the most for your money, unless you have emissions checks or need to daily drive it.

As for the OP, I would STRONGLY suggest saving up the extra money so that you can buy an LS1 instead. There are many many ways to make HUGE power with one. I would suggest going turbo with a nice set of heads and push over 550 to the ground. I don't care what any person on this site says about it, the cheap ebay turbo kit for the LS1 looks to be a GREAT deal. Just slap on a better turbo, a cold side, and some oil provisions and you should have a very fine turbo kit for less than what some people price gouge their kits for.

If not that, throw a medium sized (230 duration or so) cam in it with some PRC ported LS6 heads and a F.A.S.T. 90mm intake setup, and full exhaust and make well over 440rwhp.
I agree, that s2000 will sell for some good money, and I would go with the LS1, I have thought about dropping an LS2 or money permitting and LS7 in my 97TA, that is of course after my LT1 is shot and the money is in order...so essentially after winning the lottery, but the point is you can sell your s2000 and get a nice LS1 car at a pretty good price. Just got to look and be patient
Old 10-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Teching In

WOW....this has turned into LT1 vs. LS1 lol, okay well listen numbers proving...yes, LS1 is a generation up so its going to put up bigger numbers. The LT is a very worthy adversary though and as far as ppl saying you can get alot more outta the LS is alittle off. Very few of the people on this forum are actually going to mod their cars to the max, mostly bolt ons. So simply put you pay more for the LS but have some more power to build off of with more companies to choose from for mods. The LT is cheaper to start with but with less mod companies and a little less hp to start with. So it comes down to the intial money you wanna spend mixed with the money you'll have for mods. BUT IN THE END YOU ALWAYS WANT TO BUY A PONTIAC hahaha j/m take your time its a big decision....and dont let peoples personal bias throw you in any one direction.

Quick Reply: best power mods for a LT1?