LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New LT1 Owner Need Rocker Arm Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LT1 Owner Need Rocker Arm Help!

I have a 1994 Trans Am, and I am trying to put my stock rocker arms back on, and i'm having some trouble. I followed what other threads and my repair manual said and brought the engine to TDC and tightened the specified intake and exhaust rocker arms until there was no play in the pushrod plus between 1/2 and 3/4 of a turn, then rotated the crank another 360 then tightened the others... However after that rotation I checked some of the ones that had been tightened before the 360 rotation and one of the rocker arms was extremely loose!!! I finished the ones that it said to do, and rotated it another 360 just to check and there were 2 more rocker arms that i had just tightened that seemed abnormally loose! Is this what is supposed to happen, or should they all stay mostly tight? The only problems I can think of is when I found TDC i didnt use any special tools, I just turned the crank with a socket until it seemed to be straight up and my friend who was helping me said that the rocker arms on the number one valve didnt move. Also I was told that the intake and exhaust valves were as follows... IE IE EI EI on both sides. Is that correct?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Your probaly not at TDC. It's a pain on the TL1 because there isn't a timing marker. Best way I found is to just do one cylinder at a time, rotate until you see one lifter start to some up about 1/4" ( example, intake opening ), and adjust the other valve ( exhaust ), them rotate until the exhaust start to open and adjust the Intake.

I've always found 1/2 turn to be more then enough, 3/4 will probably be too much.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the exhaust rocker arms line up with the exhaust ports on the manifold. right before cylinder 1's intake valve is opening is TDC. have your friend tell you exactly when cylinder 1's intake vale is starting to open, instead of figuring out when they should not be moving. when you say you turned the crank with a socket and it seemed to be straight up, what exavtly was straight up?

EDIT: i know there are a few links explaining exactly how to do this on the LT1, so do a search and see if you can come up with anything.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:27 PM

Thanks a lot for the help guys! I found out that I had mixed up which valves were intake and exhaust valves on a couple of the cylinders... (It should be EI IE EI IE and not IE IE EI EI). I'm gonna try that out and Ill let you know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: New LT1 Owner Need Rocker Arm Help!