LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Battery volts at 11...starter solenoid clicks...but won't start.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery volts at 11...starter solenoid clicks...but won't start.....

....even when the battery is fully charged....sometimes it takes 20 attempts for it to start....

solenoid clicks everytime....then after a few attempts it starts just fine...no slow cranking....

I have bypassed the starter enable relay thinking it might be the problem but dats not it....

If I run a wire from the positive to the starter solenoid the motor cranks immediately....right now I just tested it....the battery has enuff cranking power!!!.....but when I go thru the switch NOTHING unless I try 20 times.

Any one have some ideas?
Old 10-27-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

bad starter mate, my car did the same thing when i first got it. the motor is just burnt out. Mine used to work fine on a cold start. but once things got hot it would take forever to start.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

if it clicks then it is your silinoid normally
Old 10-27-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i had the doors open for awhile while troubleshooting.....so then the battery got too low cuz it was at 11 when it was still cranking direct.......

I jumped it with another battery after I cleaned up every contact and battery of all positive terminals. And she started right up....

I checked the voltage while the car was running....and it was showing little over 14 volts.....I shut the car off after 15 minutes.....and the alternator had that bitch already up to 12.2 volts........

I fucked about and removed the courtesy fuse....a long suspected culprit of parasitic drainage......and sure enough she kept firing and firing without hesistation ......first time in a long time I see her fire 10+ times in a row without greif.

I shut her down again...checked battery voltage...12.5volts now....
I had plugged the courtesy fuse back in just for kicks....and went around picking up tools I had all over the place....came back and checked the voltage ....sure enough.....it was 12.09......

I decided to leave the fuse out.....and measure voltage manana again.......and then the day after all while afterwards checking to see if it starts up fine......if she does and voltage is 12+

I think it would be safe to say there is courtesy circuit foulplay...
anyone know how to troubleshoot drain?

Also it blew my brand new electric pump relay...gotta buy another 1 anyone know hot rig this to work only when the engine is on and maybe the courtesy fuse as well?

Quick Reply: Battery volts at 11...starter solenoid clicks...but won't start.....