LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LTx vettes

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
its a different setup than an f-body. vettes have what's called a torque tube. which from what i understand its like the driveshaft is right off the back of the engine, then it goes into this big contraption that is like the transmission and rear end all in one. it more evenly distributes the weight.
C4 aren't like that from my knowledge. They are still a drive shaft off the tranny to the rear.

Vette's have IRS and the M6s come with Dana 44s, which are the better, stronger, rears. 3.42s as well. They also use Mono-Leaf in the front and rear. You'll probably say "Ew leaf spring" until you find out that even the Race version Vette's KEEP the same suspension setup, it's that good.

Ride control has 3 settings. I don't remember the exact labeling, but basically it's like Cruise, Street and Race. The shocks then adjust via air to the appropriate stiffness, and it's not a gimmick you can tell the difference in ride right away, as well as handling.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool, thanks for the tips and info guys, these cars don't sound all too bad if I can find one for the right price. How's the interior design? Tacky or comfortable...My two friends have c5s, and the interior is kinda dull...
Old 11-01-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
cool, thanks for the tips and info guys, these cars don't sound all too bad if I can find one for the right price. How's the interior design? Tacky or comfortable...My two friends have c5s, and the interior is kinda dull...
They're not that diff from the C5s. The C5s I think are a bit more round, which is a little nicer. The passenger's feet area is imposed upon by some bulge in the transmission tunnel. You sit REALLY low compared to a F-Body, so when you step out, you climb up lol I'm sure it's the same for the C5s though, so you'll know how it is. The seats are comfy, but so are mine The "Idiot Light" cluster is just a big black area, so that's kinda tacky. The stereo is down by the bottom where the shifter is, so that's kinda lame too. Should be up a bit higher IMO.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

cool, i just want to make the right decision this time...my firebird was kind of rushed, and now that i have a little more funding, i want to get the right thing. I don't want to be disappointed by a lack of power from the C4, or lack of refinement, rattles, and handling of an LS1 f-body...which would turn more heads, a C4 or an f-body?
Old 11-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Teching In

The trans is bolted to the motor. It has a beam much like a panhard bar that runs from the tail of the trans to the rear end. We call it a C beam. The C5s are the ones that have the torque tube design with the trans bolted directly to the rear end. The dana 36 is about the same strength as a 10 bolt.
Ride control is called RPO FX3. There are alot of different options. The build sheet will tell you everything. Its located under the console lid or under the small storage compartment cover in the back behind the seat. Getting/out of the C4 is a PITA. The other end of that is once you get in, its really like a cockpit. Theres a saying that you dont sit in a C4...you wear one. Theres some truth to it. You get better road feedback from the C4 than the C5. Most vette owners that have had both a C4 and C5 will agree on that. The C4 just 'FEELS' more like a sports car. The interior design is somehwat subjective. The radios suck in about all corvettes. Just go look at em and decide.

I really like both the F cars and the Y cars but for different reasons.

Just for comparisons sake...http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1853005

and
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1842395
Old 11-01-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

that second vette had some good interior shots...now i just need to make the final decision now. I've driven a few LS1 f-bodies, but I have never driven a C4, nor do I know anyone that has one....****, i don't even have to drive one though, just at least sit in it if anyone in the Chicago area has one....
Old 11-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Teching In

A good friend of mine has a 96 LT4 C4 and i love it. I was going to buy one before my Z but i need a car and didnt have the money for a vette at the time. Sadly there one of the most underrated car i know of. Like said before its more of a sports car then a muscle car imo. C4 are the most areodynamic corvette ever made and you can feel it the fast you go when the car just sits lower and lower to the ground. The handling is amazing, my friend will leave stock c5 in the twistys. We have been change direction many times doing 80.

Weather striping is one of the things to look for in C4, its goes bad on most of them and its expensive to fix. Also corvette tax will get you on anything that need to be fixed or even modified(if you dont know what that is lookup how much weather striping really is for a c4). The dana 36 is good up to 400rwhp at the track. The targa top is kinda hard to get off (4 screws i believe). A C4 is alot smaller then C5s but it give you this fighter pilot feeling. If your tall i would get an auto, Im 6'4 and its really hard to use the cluch in a C4.

If you want more info check out corvette forums, im sure they can help you out better on pros, cons and what to look for.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

i'm just over 6' tall, but i think i want an auto anyways just because i live in a busy town...what is the auto trans? 4l60E? Are there a lot of converter options for these cars?
Old 11-01-2007, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The converter wouldn't be any different than an F car or other 4L60E equipped GM car or truck.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

ok, thats what was hopin for...i tried lookin at a vette trader website,and some of them were asking 17g for 92...**** that ****, lol...i am gonna have to keep looking around...
Old 11-01-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlackShadowZ28
The handling is amazing, my friend will leave stock c5 in the twistys. We have been change direction many times doing 80. C4 are the most areodynamic corvette ever made
Not that I know vetts too well, but I highly doubt a stock C4 will leave a stock C5 in the twisties. That just doesn't make sense...I doubt that aerodynamic statement as well
Old 11-01-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

can anyone back up the outhandling a c5 comment and aerodynamics?
Old 11-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Teching In

i own a 1996 LT4 and as far as out handling a C5 it is up to the drivers the C5 is much much more friendly to the driver where as the C4 is more easliy upset in the corners as are all vettes but more so in the C4. the aerodynamics statement is not ture the C5 is the most aerodynamic car made by GM only toped by the C6. i will say this the C4 will make you think you are alot faster than you are but the numbers will tell you that the C5 is the better car
Old 11-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Teching In

the c4s definitly have the tight cockpit feel to them. when your in them you feel like its wraped around you.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

nice setup man...
Old 11-01-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you want to go check some Vettes out you should try D&M Corvettes in Downers Grove. Their prices are rather steep, but they should have a huge selection to see if one of the C4 cars are what you want. If it were me I would go with the Vette. If you are single and no kids, you cant hardly go wrong with one. If you have kids to haul around go for the F body. I use to drive a Vette all the time and most of the time it was the only car I had and even got driven in snow, ice, etc. Now I have a wife and two kids so the Vettes just sit. I have a Fbody so I can haul the family around too. If i did not have the kids I would have a C6 for sure. Go for the Vette you wont regret it. Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails LTx vettes-old-beater-2.jpg   LTx vettes-old-beater-3.jpg  

Last edited by vetman1; 11-01-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

i am only 19 and in school...no kids for me baby, lol...so ur saying i won't regret the purchase of a C4 over an LS1 f-body? i like how even back in the day, the corvettes had all the display features like gas range, etc.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont think you would regret it. Wish my sister still had her Vette, it would have made you a good one. She just sold her loaded 96 Collectors Edition for 9500. It was loaded with every option except the LT4 with only 68,000 miles, silver with ZR1 wheels and leather sport seats. She has a little one on the way and her husband made her sell it to buy a Mazda SUV. She cant hardly look at my car without crying. I enjoy my C3 and C4 more than my Camaro but I just dont get to use as much. Just go check some out and see for yourself.

Last edited by vetman1; 11-01-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

its so tempting now, and 9500 would have been exactly in my price range if i sold my car...
Old 11-01-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

9500 is a steal, and I'd have thought something was wrong with it LOL They usually run $11-16K

Quick Reply: LTx vettes