LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Found My Massive Oil Leak!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Found My Massive Oil Leak!!!

Well, found out it wasnt a valve cover gasket leaking, installed new gaskets, cleaned all the oil off the block with brake cleaner, and took it for a test drive. Came back and the oil pan, starter, and passenger headers had oil all over them.

Got the car up on stands, pulled the y-pipe off and the starter and saw my dipstick tube was covered in oil with a trail of oil along the block next to the tube.

Once i got the bolt out and pulled the dipstick, saw where the bracket attaches to the dipstick tube, there was a hole in the tube from where the bracket had torn away from. I didnt expect all that oil to come out from the tube, but i guess so.

So...does anyone have an extra tube laying around or know where to get a factory one? AutoZone and such just have the chrome press in universal tubes, which i'm scared to use.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New ones are only $13 at the dealer.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What he said. I just ordered three of them I ruin mine just about every time I take it out.

Here is a install hint if you have headers. Cut all but an inch or so off the bottom ring where it goes into the block . This also help keep oil from blowing back out of the stick many times

Good luck!
Old 11-11-2007, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow he just described my oil leak to a friggin t. New dipstick tube here i come!
Old 11-11-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just had this same issue. Replacing mine with a Lokar unit. Install is so so but PITA to get it on a header bolt. I would get enough oil to put specs of it on the rear of the car.

-Brian

Quick Reply: Found My Massive Oil Leak!!!