Old 11-12-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LALT1
That is f*cking HOT!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would really like to do some polishing under my hood later this winter and would like to know the process behind it as well please share the knowledge cause by the looks of it you sure know what u r doin.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

So nobody makes a mount that you can keep the pwr steering but loose the a/c?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats freagin stupid, if i had a CNC machine i'd have already started a freakin COMPANY!!!! Anyways, what valve covers are those, LALT1? Those the CANTONs?
Old 11-12-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by projekt70chevelle
So nobody makes a mount that you can keep the pwr steering but loose the a/c?
Did I say something to **** you off?
Old 11-12-2007, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

has anyone thought of re-working everything to retain A/C in the stock location (for the ease of finding hoses) and mounting the alternator where the P/S is, and putting the P/S on the driver's side?

I thought about ditching the A/C system for a cleaner look, but it still works, doesn't add THAT much weight to the car(what? 40lbs at most), and is worth it's weight in gold on a hot july/August day.

I think that's what I'll spend some time on: alternator, P/S, AND A/C, only get that ugly-*** alternator away from the valve cover- yuck!
Old 11-12-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
has anyone thought of re-working everything to retain A/C in the stock location (for the ease of finding hoses) and mounting the alternator where the P/S is, and putting the P/S on the driver's side?

I thought about ditching the A/C system for a cleaner look, but it still works, doesn't add THAT much weight to the car(what? 40lbs at most), and is worth it's weight in gold on a hot july/August day.

I think that's what I'll spend some time on: alternator, P/S, AND A/C, only get that ugly-*** alternator away from the valve cover- yuck!
Yeah, the kit I have has an optional low passenger's side A/C mount bracket, that keeps the other accessories where they're positioned like in the pics I posted. Like I said before, I can't mention them here because they're a non sponsor.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

There's a cheaper alternative to the setup I have, but it's not a "kit." You'd need to start off by getting a low mount alternator bracket like what Madman sells, and this bracket made by Zoops is what you'd use for the P/S pump:

The bracket has an adjustable sliding mechanism, so that you can slide the P/S pump forward and backward to line it up with the other pulleys. The polished stainless bar shown with it is what you use as a belt tensioner.

It bolts the P/S pump to the lower driver's side of the block. Also, the stock "CB" P/S pump is internally vaned to spin counter-clockwise. With it mounted in the low driver's side position, the pulley will spin clockwise. So you'll need to get an 80's model "TC" P/S pump that's vaned to spin clockwise. (They can be had pretty cheap.)

Then you'll need a cheap single groove SBC crank pulley to piggyback to the stock damper and drive the P/S pump off of, like in this pic:

I still have the Zoops billet P/S bracket and can cut somebody a good deal on it. It's still brand new and was only taken out of the package for pics. PM me if interested.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Did I say something to **** you off?
Nope.... just suprised that somebody hasn't made a bracket that removes the a/c and relocates the alternator and its spot or down on the drivers side.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by projekt70chevelle
Nope.... just suprised that somebody hasn't made a bracket that removes the a/c and relocates the alternator and its spot or down on the drivers side.
I don't know why I even bother anymore...
Old 11-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

There's a cheaper alternative to the setup I have, but it's not a "kit." You'd need to start off by getting a low mount alternator bracket like what Madman sells, and this bracket made by Zoops is what you'd use for the P/S pump:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...acketzoops.jpg

The bracket has an adjustable sliding mechanism, so that you can slide the P/S pump forward and backward to line it up with the other pulleys. The polished stainless bar shown with it is what you use as a belt tensioner.

It bolts the P/S pump to the lower driver's side of the block. Also, the stock "CB" P/S pump is internally vaned to spin counter-clockwise. With it mounted in the low driver's side position, the pulley will spin clockwise. So you'll need to get an 80's model "TC" P/S pump that's vaned to spin clockwise. (They can be had pretty cheap.)

Then you'll need a cheap single groove SBC crank pulley to piggyback to the stock damper and drive the P/S pump off of, like in this pic:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...6&d=1188058569

I still have the Zoops billet P/S bracket and can cut somebody a good deal on it. It's still brand new and was only taken out of the package for pics. PM me if interested.
That is perfect. I'll be doing that.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Hey everyone, Just checking out the thread and if you guys haven't seen this thread yet....Check it out. I think it will help you guys out quite a bit. I know it's pricey, but hey! Thats what you get when you build a racecar....Lots of BS and lots of $ out the window. It's part of building a car Good Luck to everyone and hope you guys get a bracket combo that works........JAMES
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/814303-guaging-interest-ultimate-lt1-alternator-relocation-bracket.html
Old 11-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Launching!

why would just moving the p/s pump out to line up with the pulley that is further out change the direction of rotation? or am i missing something?
Old 11-16-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Biggin'89
why would just moving the p/s pump out to line up with the pulley that is further out change the direction of rotation? or am i missing something?

If you study how the stock accessory bracket has all the accessories situated, the P/S pump turns the opposite direction to the crank pulley. With the P/S pump mounted low on the driver's side like in the above pic, it turns the same direction as the crank pulley.

If you spin a P/S pump in the opposite direction from which it is vaned, it will try to pump fluid out the inlet and in the outlet. This is bad juju since both outlets are a different size to maintain the correct pressure in the system.

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure on this, but it may be possible to modify the stock pump so that the outlets are reversed. I think you'd probably have to drill and tap the housing and convert to -AN fittings because you'd need to remove the clamp-on inlet fitting which I believe is just pressed in. Maybe somebody who's rebuilt P/S pumps might be able to shed more light on this.

Last edited by thesoundandthefury; 11-16-2007 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Launching!

ok i understand now, i guess i've never really paid any attention to which direction the pulleys are turning.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

This seems doable for me. But wondering if anyone, after all these years, makes an easier alternative?
Old 11-27-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SpeedInc used to sell this setup which relocates the alt to drivers side lower and keeps all accesories. Here is a pic of mine installed on my new engine.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...1Engine019.jpg
Old 11-27-2013, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

That's a nice setup. The reason I like the setup in the pic I quoted is that you can remove the belt for power steering if you like for the track. The alt. part is easy to do. For the PS pump I think I can use the underdrive pulley that I have to drive it. I'm not sure what pulley he has mounted to the PS pump (if anyone has a link I would be grateful), and I'm also unsure if the original PS pump hoses will reach or even have the right fittings for that 80's style pump.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Any update on such a product?
Old 12-29-2013, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Raptor auto technologies makes the speed inc style bracket now, I have one on my car

Quick Reply: Low Mount Alternator setup