LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Blowing oil after 100k miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowing oil after 100k miles

Well I was bringing some heads to a guy today and I noticed smoke behind me on the highway. I eventually figured out it was from me. I was scared it was coming from the cylinders but after stopping I found out it is coming from under the car. It looks like it is coming from between the engine and tranny. Did I blow my rear main seal? That would suck.
Would I have to get the engine rebuilt to fix it? And where is a good place in IL to get engine work done?
Tom
Old 06-22-2003, 07:24 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Default Re: Blowing oil after 100k miles

It's probably the infamous intake leak. You have to pull the intake and put some permatex between the intake and block.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

what is permatex. I have not herd that one yet. I have been using regualr black rtv and im running 8 psi of boost and i have never had a leak.
Chicago94z28- Fixing the rear main is not supper hard. If you pulled your oil pan and take the tranny out you will be able to get at it. If you are a do it your self type of person i can walk you through it.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

it depends on which type of permatex you use 4mula. you dont want to use permatex #2 because that is a non hardening type of silicone, trust me i have seen some people get mixed up and use that one. 96SCTA is right, just use the reg. black rtv silicone and you should be ok. just be careful when putting the intake back on, you dont want to push the silicone back and have to do the job all over again. as far as the rear main goes, you dont have to pull the oil pan off. just move the tranny back some and remove the flywheel/flexplate (i dont know if you are M6 or A4). put your hand behind the intake to see if it is leaking to make sure. you dont want to do the rear main when it was just your intake leaking.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:02 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Also, dimple the back rail of the block and intake with a punch when you reseal it. This will help cure the leak. Use Ultra RTV - I prefer the hi-temp orange/copper over the black, and you'll be good to go.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Just did an intake set on my TA. I work in service at a gm dealer. There is a certain sealer for the intake problem on LT1's. They cam factory with RTV, but there is a new sealer for the problem. The part number is 12346192. This is some bad ****! It's very sticky and tacky and works very well. It may cost a little more though

Quick Reply: Blowing oil after 100k miles