LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rear distributor questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:20 PM
ggk
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear distributor questions

i have a 94 formula that has a messed up optispark. i have seen some people install small heis in their standard lt1 intake. how do you do it? i have all the machining equipment at my disposal. is there any computer problems if you switch?

sorry if the topic is old but for some reason the searched is messed for me
Old 12-06-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would replace the opti with a GM opti,upgrade to a vented opti.
then purchase the Ltcc or Delteq ignition system.
it will cost you a few bucks to do this but it better than modding the car to accept a rear mounted ditributor (IMHO)
Old 12-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Launching!

With the LT PCM engine management system, the distributor must provide high and low resolution pulses back to the PCM. If you went with the rear mount, you'll need a distributor that provide the pulses. I'm not sure if that is available off-the-shelf.

Personally, I like the MSD Opti.

WD

Old 12-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Launching!

agree just get an MSD opti, by the time you spend the money to get a rear one you could have just got an MSD, plus you don't have to do any cutting on the cowl..
Old 12-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the red on black look in that picture. That's a sweet looking setup. Curious as to longevity and quality though with the MSD name. Personally I have not had problems with their stuff, but we hear so much about about them with concerns about quality.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocky70304
agree just get an MSD opti, by the time you spend the money to get a rear one you could have just got an MSD, plus you don't have to do any cutting on the cowl..

You are right, but in the end product you still have a OPTI! So its a catch 22 there. Personially when mine craps out im goinf with the LTCC set up. And word on the streets is to buy coils off a truck, they produce more spark then OEM ls1 coils.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:16 PM
ggk
Launching!

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
You are right, but in the end product you still have a OPTI! So its a catch 22 there. Personially when mine craps out im goinf with the LTCC set up. And word on the streets is to buy coils off a truck, they produce more spark then OEM ls1 coils.
you still need a good opti sensor. for it to work
Old 12-07-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I totally agree. But as long as you have a good opti sensor and you take away the fireballs that are made around it then your golden! Or go ***** out and get a mag. trigger, lol.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

+1 for the MSD billet opti, I have it and have had no problems and its a really nice piece.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

stock GM piece for me... no problems at all. main thing, everyone knocks the opti, but in reality if you fix leaks before they soak it they usually hold up pretty well... (as in vented opti)
Old 12-07-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Engineer
With the LT PCM engine management system, the distributor must provide high and low resolution pulses back to the PCM. If you went with the rear mount, you'll need a distributor that provide the pulses. I'm not sure if that is available off-the-shelf.

Personally, I like the MSD Opti.

WD

You don’t have to eliminate the OPTI to run a standard distributor. You could leave the opti in place to give a signal back to the computer, just pull out the rotor so it not generating any spark. Then the computer is getting the signal it needs to run the injectors, and you let the distributor take care of the ignition. I am thinking about giving this a try this winter. I think it would be cheaper than some of the other options.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:06 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

i went the rear dist. mount and do not regret it one bit!!!!! one of the best mods i have ever done to the engine combo i am merely running a gm 95-7 pickup truck distributor, lol! nothing fancy.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by taner
i went the rear dist. mount and do not regret it one bit!!!!! one of the best mods i have ever done to the engine combo i am merely running a gm 95-7 pickup truck distributor, lol! nothing fancy.
hey taner
hows the foot coming along?
do you have any pics of your rear dist. conversion?
Old 12-07-2007, 11:30 PM
ggk
Launching!

Originally Posted by taner
what computer? cause if it works with the stocker that is what im doing.
can you tell me what you did to get it to work?
Old 12-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Launching!

**** optis and distributors.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:02 AM
ggk
Launching!

Originally Posted by 383LT1S10

**** optis and distributors.
not a bad idea if you didnt need a lt1 pcm.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ggk
what computer? cause if it works with the stocker that is what im doing.
it doesn't.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by infinitebird
it doesn't.
From my recollection, it does.

At any rate, from when my friend repaired a Vortec 4.3, I took note at how that distributor worked (crab cap). It seemed EXACTLY like an Optispark, but rear mount. The Coil and Spark Control was the same as ours as well. The Crab Cap style uses a Cam Sensor inside the distributor, which I'm pretty sure is an optical sensor like ours. I've mentioned this before, but none of us have ever had a chance to test it, so :\ GO AT IT! lol
Old 12-08-2007, 07:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Formula350
From my recollection, it does.

At any rate, from when my friend repaired a Vortec 4.3, I took note at how that distributor worked (crab cap). It seemed EXACTLY like an Optispark, but rear mount. The Coil and Spark Control was the same as ours as well. The Crab Cap style uses a Cam Sensor inside the distributor, which I'm pretty sure is an optical sensor like ours. I've mentioned this before, but none of us have ever had a chance to test it, so :\ GO AT IT! lol
If you're running the factory LT PCM, it needs "both" a high and low resolution pulse that is generated in the Opti and sent back to the PCM. There are several "stand-alone" after-market ignition systems (MSD, Accel), but they don't provide the pulses the LT PCM requires.

The rear mount distributor on an F-Body (under the cowling) whould be painfull!

WD
Old 12-08-2007, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by foggedz
You don’t have to eliminate the OPTI to run a standard distributor. You could leave the opti in place to give a signal back to the computer, just pull out the rotor so it not generating any spark. Then the computer is getting the signal it needs to run the injectors, and you let the distributor take care of the ignition. I am thinking about giving this a try this winter. I think it would be cheaper than some of the other options.
This is exactly what I am doing
I am running a msd opti with no rotor(with stock pcm) to control the fuel and a rear mout msd distributer with a crank trigger to set the timing.I think you only need a setup like this if you have a solidroller and are going over 7k rpm

this is the rear mount I have

http://www.msdignition.com/2006/06-11.htm

Quick Reply: Rear distributor questions