LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

292 xfi cam...other thread got deleted

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007 | 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Yet more proof that you are talking out of your ***. Duration and the IO point plays the role in PTV clearance, not lift.
Lift does play a role (though minor) with both of those.

The main thing is that the cam has a 113 lsa, so he will be fine with it. If it was a more radical lsa, that may not be the case.
Old 12-15-2007 | 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think its time to let the thread die guys its gotten out of hand. What cant we all just get along.
Old 12-15-2007 | 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....14&postcount=1

your 1/8 mile mph is in line with the ET and 1/4 mph, the running out of gear comment is an excuse since the 1/8 mile info does not support it.

Here is my most recent, was through mufflers at over 4100lbs, mine is just a mailorder tune. 3400 stall, 3.73s, midlength headers, basic porting on stock intake, 27" rubber has it trapping at 5700rpms, certainly a gain if I could trap at say 6100. This was 150 miles from home driven to and from. Last year it went a little faster mph but the weather was better and the exhaust open. Far as racing a taxi, most guys I run into at the track with faster cars are impressed, body on frame and 8.5" axle are big positives in hooking and lasting, no subframe crap to deal with and don't need a 12 bolt or 9".

Call it bragging if you want but to me this is proof in the form of comparing information you don't need a monster cam, aftermarket heads, or single plane intake, imagine what this drivetrain would do in an 800lbs lighter car.
I forgot, you were in my car on each pass You watched it hit the limiter a few hundo from the end All the original poster wanted was some info about this cam. I've said it a million times before that I know my combo is not optimal. I figured he would like to hear from SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY RUNS IT, then from people that want to bash it without any firsthand knowledge. And yet again, you turn every thread into "Look at my full-weight 4100lb boat running 11's with vastly superior stuff to anything anyone else can even think of" "Anyone who spends money on anything other than AI stuff is simply throwing their money down the toilet" Every ******* thread on here, you bash someone. You just say search, you shoot down everyones ideas, and you think you are so damn superior to everyone. Maybe you could think outside the box or better yet, let others think outside the box, and do something a little out of the norm. You are the WORST at giving constructive criticism. Maybe you're cool in person, but you're a dick on here.

We don't need to know what your taxi ran. wanna know why? BECAUSE YOU'VE POSTED IT 500 times the past month. We get it. It moves for a big car. Kudos to you.
Old 12-15-2007 | 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

I just want to appologize for the past posts i made. I was a cranky little bitch at the time....

Originally Posted by Whitez406
Good one hillbilly. I guess you have a ZZ4 cam to huh?
Intelligent comment you posted there, but im not going to internet argue. If you would READ READ READ like ur telling everyone else to, im running the 847 cam w/ LE2 heads. Call it jumpin on the band wagon or whatever else you want to call it, but id rather spend my money on PROVEN results. As far as a cam bearing goes, it does happen, I wouldnt exclude that from something that can happen. You have to remember the weak oil pumps and such these things come with from the factory. You do a dirty install on the cam, it will happen also (not saying you will). I just dont understand why you would put this cam in the car when you said he is going to build a motor. Save the money its going to take to do the cam swap, and freakin wait for the build. Like I said before that cam is bigger than the 847 cam that im running and just be prepaird to spin the stock bottom to the moon. Very poor choice in my book, but it looks like he has already made his decision. Post back the results and good luck
Old 12-15-2007 | 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schweet97Z
I just want to appologize for the past posts i made. I was a cranky little bitch at the time....

Intelligent comment you posted there, but im not going to internet argue. If you would READ READ READ like ur telling everyone else to, im running the 847 cam w/ LE2 heads. Call it jumpin on the band wagon or whatever else you want to call it, but id rather spend my money on PROVEN results. As far as a cam bearing goes, it does happen, I wouldnt exclude that from something that can happen. You have to remember the weak oil pumps and such these things come with from the factory. You do a dirty install on the cam, it will happen also (not saying you will). I just dont understand why you would put this cam in the car when you said he is going to build a motor. Save the money its going to take to do the cam swap, and freakin wait for the build. Like I said before that cam is bigger than the 847 cam that im running and just be prepaird to spin the stock bottom to the moon. Very poor choice in my book, but it looks like he has already made his decision. Post back the results and good luck
Im 99% sure that something major will fail before the cam bearings will. Either way thats what he wants and thats his choice not anyone elses. As said before he asked if it would work not everyones opinion on what to run or if that they thought it was a poor choice. Either I or Cory will post back with a dyno sheet and numbers.
Old 12-15-2007 | 08:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Whitez406
Im 99% sure that something major will fail before the cam bearings will. Either way thats what he wants and thats his choice not anyone elses. As said before he asked if it would work not everyones opinion on what to run or if that they thought it was a poor choice. Either I or Cory will post back with a dyno sheet and numbers.
The point of the "constructive critisim" was not that it will not dyno high. Frankly, dyno numbers dont mean ****. You can pull off the limiter and spin it to 6700 and it may very well make some impressive power - but that wont be worth much if the car is still stuck in 12s

After the install(and the horror of tuning that thing), take it to the track and see if he is still happy with his choice. Better yet, drive it there .
Old 12-15-2007 | 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Puck
After the install(and the horror of tuning that thing)
I tuned a car with this cam and it was not that hard.
Old 12-15-2007 | 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now its so big its not even streetable.
Old 12-15-2007 | 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm gonna state again, if you want to run this cam be prepared to spend alot of money on the valvetrain to get it to work properly. i know a guy having valve float issues with 918 springs on the 268XFI cam, and it was under 6000rpm too. i cant imagine the 292cam being any better. if the valve train is right, it will work well up over 6500rpms, but the quick ramps will help low end power so not all is lost

I still think more overall power can be made with a smaller cam like the 280xfi or custom grind. its been proven before time and time again. if a new motor is in the works then run the 292 cam, but just get the valvetrain to control that beast. Why buy a cam if you can use it 100%? if it wants to run to over 6500, why limit it to 6000?

Last edited by Orr89rocz; 12-16-2007 at 02:47 AM.
Old 12-16-2007 | 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Moronic quote of the day. Thanks.

Your Welcome
Old 12-16-2007 | 12:43 AM
11 Second Club

Its time for a
Old 12-16-2007 | 03:36 AM
hashtagBMW

Originally Posted by onephatZ28
Its time for a
With your dumbass post's it is.
Old 12-16-2007 | 04:32 AM
On The Tree

lol so much hate
Old 12-16-2007 | 07:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joelster
I forgot, you were in my car on each pass You watched it hit the limiter a few hundo from the end .

Like I said your 1/8 mile info and 1/4 mile infor are inline with eachother, compare to other cars running similar ET/MPH.

There is always more than one choice for parts and usually more than one very good choice, problem is most people buy on marketing rather than actual quality. People mistake volume for quality.

Lingenfelter for example is clearly a very good choice that is RARELY used, when they are though the results have always been good at least in the cases I have seen.
Old 12-16-2007 | 07:31 AM
Launching!

Like I said your 1/8 mile info and 1/4 mile infor are inline with eachother, compare to other cars running similar ET/MPH.
Most cars (full body door slammers) make 64 percent of their 1/4 mile ET in the 1/8 mile. Therefore, you can check your 1/8-1/4 mile ETs using the 64 rule to see how your car is performing. NHRA also uses the 64 percent factor to pro-rate their 1/8-1/4 mile stock class indexes.

WD
Old 12-16-2007 | 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

This rule says he should go 11.700.

According to that I am .11 off on the topend(should 11.825), I knew it was doing better in the 1/8 than the 1/4, thank you for helping me put a number too it. Not sure what would cause it, could be anything from needing to tweak the tune to the 4 year old tranny.
Despite my relative success in tinkering with this car I am still learning a lot, this is the first car I ever really modified or raced and at that just test and tune. In more experianced hands it would go faster.
Old 12-16-2007 | 08:18 AM
Launching!

My car is also falling off some at the stripe (2nd portion of the 1/4). And, as I mentioned earlier (previous post), I'm replacing the 918s w/ PAC-1518s and titanium retainers in hopes of fixing that issue (valve float). I'm loosing mostly MPH at the stripe, but also some ET.

Also, excess converter slippage can be a big issue at the stripe (but not my problem).

WD

Last edited by The Engineer; 03-08-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2007 | 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by infinitebird
I tuned a car with this cam and it was not that hard.
Truth. My tuner and I made 3 passes with the car, tweaked it twice. Hits just about 12.8 on full-throttle, adjusted the idle a little higher, tweaked the timing, took all of 25 minutes. Oh, and it's streetable too.
Old 12-16-2007 | 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

This rule says he should go 11.700.

Check your math 7.44 divided by .64 (the above rule) is an 11.62. I don't really care what a calculator tells me. They are just general averages, they assume everything on the car is perfect. I'd rather take the car to the track and find out for myself. I do apologize for my above post, you just come off a little too harsh sometimes, I'll buy you a beer.

Last edited by joelster; 12-16-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-16-2007 | 08:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joelster
Check your math 7.44 divided by .64 (the above rule) is an 11.62. I don't really care what a calculator tells me. They are just general averages, they assume everything on the car is perfect. I'd rather take the car to the track and find out for myself. I do apologize for my above post, you just come off a little too harsh sometimes, I'll buy you a beer.
Math is an engineering tool which can be used to both predict and evaluate outcome (performance). Basically, to determine or establish acceptable parameters for performance.

WD

Quick Reply: 292 xfi cam...other thread got deleted