LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need LT1 advice, 4L60E to TH400

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need LT1 advice, 4L60E to TH400

Hey guys, this probably should be in the trans section but no one ever reads it.
I just broke my 2nd TCI Super Street Fighter 4L60E, this time its not under warranty. I'm done with overdrive trans in this car, this will be the 4th trans that broke. I want a TH400, I know I need to shorten the driveshaft, I need a new crossmember, but I would like to know if my stock shifter will work with it. Also, what length will the D/S have to be, where can I get that crossmember, will I need a new flex plate, and does a TH400 have a spot for the VSS? All advice and input is welcome. Thanks
Old 01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Launching!

What times were you running with your 4L60E and what parts were breaking in it?

I really like the consistency of the 4L60E with the PCM programmed shift points. So, I'm still running the 4L60E and plan to do one more season with some performance 4L60E rebuilds. If I can't get any real longevity this season from what I'm trying, I may look at a manual valve-body turbo in the future.

The local tranny guy and friend of mine did a really good performance for me. I got about 200 runs in the 10.80 to 11.00 before the input sprag started slipping some (didn't break this time). To fix that, we installed a dual-cage sprag along with a new inner and outer race (probably should have done that during the initial rebuild).

Additionally, I have a new PerformaBuilt Level-3, 4L60E installed to start next season. Basically, I’ve got two 4L60Es to start the 2008 season with and run at about 30 to 35 races each season.

WD
Old 01-02-2008, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

I've never gotten a full run in, every time I've had transmission problems. First time the forward sprag broke. This time I'm not sure what happened but it was loud when It broke.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Stop buying **** and have someone competent build you a 4L60E, the good builders get them to hold 9 second passes.
Look into Pro-Built, FLT, and Rossler, I have over 4 years on my ProBuilt, and acquaintance has a 4500lbs Impala that runs mid 9s or better and runs a Rossler 4L60E with annual refreshings but his is making 900+ at the wheels.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for a cross-member you can use one from a 6 speed car. you will need a 1 inch spacer to go between the crossmember and the trans mount. it works perfect. worked in my low 9 second car. i dont remember what length the driveshaft was but after you get the trans in, you just slide the yoke in the back of the trans and measure from u-joint centerline of the trans yoke to the centerline of the rear end yoke. you can use you same flex plate also. you can use your stock shifter if you are crafty and can fabricate. i have seen it done before. and last, there are ways to make the speedo work. you can find that in the trans section or with a search. good luck with your swap. oh and next time, dont buy a TCI transmission.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

I wish I knew not to buy a TCI. What is the difference between the ProBuilt and TCI SSF 4L60E, they are both rated for about the same HP, why is TCI so bad?
Old 01-02-2008, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

With the 4L60E the guy putting the parts together means at least as much as the parts used. Dana at ProBuilt has been building trannies long as I have been alive(30yo) and made it a particular mission to sort out all the little nuances of making this tranny work.

Most shops just thow the "latest and greatest" parts at trannies and hope it works without a real understanding of everything going on. The guys who make the 4L60E work are the ones who really understand and take the time to get clearances and everything just right.
They are a minority, ProBuilt is who I used but the other two definetely make it work as well. There are more out there, this is just three off the top of my head I would be willing to spend my money with.

The Rossler tranny in the 4500lbs Impala that runs 146+mph in the quarter is the single most impressive application of a 4L60E I know of.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

96capricemgr would you suggest the Probuilt Pro Street or the Rossler Terminator 2 since they are pretty much the same price.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Also, PerformaBuilt and CPT 4L60Es have very good reviews.

WD
Old 01-02-2008, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sleeperMULLET
96capricemgr would you suggest the Probuilt Pro Street or the Rossler Terminator 2 since they are pretty much the same price.
I really don't know which would be better, but if you look at Rossler's list it says hard parts not included. That to me says the price could go up depending on the condition of the tranny he rebuilds for you.

I think the ProBuilt includes core and the price is final unless you add options.

When I had ProBuilt do mine the car was down anyway so I sent him a core, absolute carnage, failures he had never seen before and the price never changed.
I had tried a local shop first and it lasted 16 months under stock to bolton power. You are not the first to learn this leason the hard way.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

I think I'll go with the ProBuilt. Are the prices on the website with or without a core?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

I am pretty sure those include core.
I need to call Dana soon myself. When I had him build this tranny I only planned on maybe 320rwhp, car is making well over that and the future only holds more. Considering a preventative refreshing, cheaper to replace wear parts like clutches than to have to replace those and anything else damaged if it would actually blowup. It is working perfectly sofar, just do not want to wait and have it start to slip in summer when it is my daily driver.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

You people must be hell on transmissions, we built my 4L60E in the garage with some decent parts, but its stock for the most part. I manually shift up and down everyday, downshift and lock up the rear wheels all the time, 2nd and 3rd gear scratches, and it never misses a beat, and 90k on it...

It probably doesn't matter but I've never seen a transmission my dad has built be destroyed...

I dunno, just seems like everyone always has transmission problems on here.

-Rick
Old 01-03-2008, 02:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guys just need to buy a good 60-e....at least your trying to go with a th400..bc a th350 is a 60-e without overdrive....i cant stand when people do that
Old 01-03-2008, 02:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by daniel6718
guys just need to buy a good 60-e....at least your trying to go with a th400..bc a th350 is a 60-e without overdrive....i cant stand when people do that
I made that mistake on my first formula
Old 01-03-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Veteran

I have a 3800lb car running 11.0's pulling low 1.50 60fts. Has about 20 passes at the track and 2500 street miles. And has worked FLAWLESSLY!!!!

Cahall performance transmissions(CPT) built my 4l60E, he has them running in the low 10's and a few in the 9's.

He has a 6 month warranty no matter WHAT you do to it, I asked him will the warranty still be good if I sprayed a 200 shot and possible run in the 9's...he said "I dont care, it is warrantied for 6 months"

They are $1700 for his baddest one. His service is second to NONE.

He also has a deal where you can send it up there and he will freshen it up for $250 plus hard parts.(If needed) once a year.

David
Old 01-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RickyMartinZ28
You people must be hell on transmissions, we built my 4L60E in the garage with some decent parts, but its stock for the most part. I manually shift up and down everyday, downshift and lock up the rear wheels all the time, 2nd and 3rd gear scratches, and it never misses a beat, and 90k on it...

It probably doesn't matter but I've never seen a transmission my dad has built be destroyed...

I dunno, just seems like everyone always has transmission problems on here.

-Rick
You're talking about "street driving" with a 4L60E and some "occasional" tire scratch!

Everything changes "big time" when you add 10.5 slicks and start pulling 60ft times down in the 1.40s and running in the 10s. Another factor is the number of passes down the track. For example; my car is used for bracket racing and it sees about 250 passes or more each year.

I'm not sure too many 4L60Es will hold-up more than one season of racing with 10 second times.

WD
Old 01-03-2008, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulling my tranny today (along with the engine). Sending some parts off to cryo to help them live longer under the upcoming abuse of the 10 sec passes I will be throwing at the drivetrain. Cutting 1.50s 60' at the moment all motor. Warren is correct that "everything" changes when you start hooking hard. The weak points of our machines start to show themselves once we beat on them. No matter which unit you decide to use, in regards to the builder go with the "big reputation" and not the "big name". Good luck!!

Mec
Old 01-03-2008, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

The more I learn the less faith I put in reputations. A LOT of folks out there think a product is good till it fails and they finally try something ACTUALLY good.
Reputations can be bought with lots of advertizing. Long term, consistent results are the key I know ProBuilt and Rossler have 4L60Es living in 9 second cars, David is saying CPT does as well.

Do not fall for the new companies customers saying great things about trannies they have had a month or two, that is meaningless, over the years I have seen a LOT of tranny shops pop up and be all the rage for like 6 months then things start breaking and all the guys who bought into the initial hype endup screwed. Have to consider the guys giving the feedback too, an idiot could destroy trannies left and right if they can't read a dipstick or don't properly clean/replace the cooling circuit or something else out of the builder's hands.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The more I learn the less faith I put in reputations. A LOT of folks out there think a product is good till it fails and they finally try something ACTUALLY good.
Reputations can be bought with lots of advertizing. Long term, consistent results are the key I know ProBuilt and Rossler have 4L60Es living in 9 second cars, David is saying CPT does as well.

Do not fall for the new companies customers saying great things about trannies they have had a month or two, that is meaningless, over the years I have seen a LOT of tranny shops pop up and be all the rage for like 6 months then things start breaking and all the guys who bought into the initial hype endup screwed. Have to consider the guys giving the feedback too, an idiot could destroy trannies left and right if they can't read a dipstick or don't properly clean/replace the cooling circuit or something else out of the builder's hands.

CPT(Cahall) has a HUGE satisfied customer base on CamaroZ28.com. Frank the owner helped me out and didnt know me from Adam While a jerk off in Minden Nevada called SR7 performance was screwing the mess out of me, when I got it back from this LOON in Nevada it lasted 16 miles. I shipped it to Frank...he did me RIGHT!!!!!!! And the trans has been FLAWLESS.

David