LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Intake porting

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008 | 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

There are a lot of things I see as trends that most of you see as multiple seperate one time events .
Old 01-13-2008 | 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
Never said 114mph was impressive, but it does what I want for an emissions cam. And your right about track times, I quess we'll all just go by dyno #s from now on. Hold on while I push the brake pads back, and the computer is being set to lock up the converter.
Gotta love how you put words in my mouth. So how exactly do you want me to get some track times when the track is closed? And I went 115mph with ~240cfm heads and a 210/224 cam that would easily pass emissions. First you call me out asking what my dyno #'s are when I don't have any yet, and now that I have them you move onto track times when the track is closed. I wonder what your excuse is going to be when I get some track times?

Originally Posted by NightTrain66
Speed Demon also dynoed the car on 2 different dynoes (before and after intake swap) and is forgetting to state that. Maybe he lost 15-20 HP and maybe he actually gained 5-10 HP, who knows by going to two different dynoes. It makes his story better by leaving out lil bits of info here and there.

He actually told me the car felt faster but was puzzled by the HP loss on the dyno and contributed that to the two different dynoes at the time. He seems to leave this info out when telling his story but taht seems par for teh coarse with him.

Others have seen gains and JoeB on here gained 20 RWHP and 2 MPH at the track from a 58 MM TB and poretd intake over a stock intake and TB. He has a 350 LT1 with 224 duration cam also.

To answer the original posters question, there will be basically no gain if using stock heads or if the heads are ported and are smaller than 1.85" at the pushrod pinch since the stock heads are smaller than this and the stock intake is larger than this at the smallest point.

Only gaisn with stock heads with intake work will be opening teh Tb holes to 58 MM if using a bigger TB and some work behind the TB in intake.

I guess 96Capricemgr disagrees and is stating just the opposite from what I said, he feels you will see less gain on a higher HP and higher RPM set up and more gain on a stock heads/cam set up? I am not sure how that makes sense or why he would doubt what I said. Probably just cant stand to agree with anything I type at all no matter how right/wrong it is.

Lloyd
I actually dyno'd where I dyno'd before awhile ago. I put out 362rwhp with valve float past 6100 (cam peaked at 62-6300). I since then added true duals, your intake, 58mm throttle body, a dyno tune that gained 6rwhp at peak and 30rwtq under the curve, and fixed the valve float and put out 366rwhp on that dyno. I also put out 371rwhp on a different dyno, both reading lower than before the ported intake (375rwhp). And then I backed up my claims at the track by not gaining 1/10th of an mph with it. And we all know how inaccurate SOTP is. I spent $200 on an intake and I wanted to think I gained power.

I also left out the fact that you didn't open up the throttle body holes enough so I had to spend 30 minutes with a dremel opening them up, and the fact that there were a ton of aluminum shavings left in the IAC passages that you failed to clean out. Luckily I caught that before bolting it onto my motor.
Old 01-13-2008 | 10:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I like that you mention more and more changes with the different dyno runs and clain the the intake port work is the ONE thing that killed the HP #'s, lol.

It looks like 366 and 371 RWHP Dyno #;s (2 different dynoes) were obtained before with the previously ported heads and then you sent the ported and gasket matched heads to me for more portwork and after installing the heads you saw 405 RWHP with a miss and valve float.

Was this with the same plug wires you were using here . . . . . . . . ?

(speed demon) Just thought I'de give an update. I just finished up putting new wires on today after seeing some arc while I misted some water on the engine bay. Some of the wires wouldn't even read when I tried to check the resistance on them so they were definatly bad. Hopefully this fixes the miss, and if it does I should be able to get some track times next saturday. (speed demon).

Hopefully the bigger cam, new heads, new Canton oil pan, correct push rod / rocker geometry and new pluig wires will get you some better track results. You stated you went 11.80's at 122 MPH with the heads I did and the problems mentioned.

You should see some real impressive results on Saturday after installing the bigger cam, new heads, new Canton oil pan, correct push rod / rocker geometry and new pluig wires. Maybe see some 11.60's at 124 MPH. That is pretty impressive.

Lloyd
Old 01-14-2008 | 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NightTrain66
I like that you mention more and more changes with the different dyno runs and clain the the intake port work is the ONE thing that killed the HP #'s, lol.

It looks like 366 and 371 RWHP Dyno #;s (2 different dynoes) were obtained before with the previously ported heads and then you sent the ported and gasket matched heads to me for more portwork and after installing the heads you saw 405 RWHP with a miss and valve float.

Was this with the same plug wires you were using here . . . . . . . . ?

(speed demon) Just thought I'de give an update. I just finished up putting new wires on today after seeing some arc while I misted some water on the engine bay. Some of the wires wouldn't even read when I tried to check the resistance on them so they were definatly bad. Hopefully this fixes the miss, and if it does I should be able to get some track times next saturday. (speed demon).

Hopefully the bigger cam, new heads, new Canton oil pan, correct push rod / rocker geometry and new pluig wires will get you some better track results. You stated you went 11.80's at 122 MPH with the heads I did and the problems mentioned.

You should see some real impressive results on Saturday after installing the bigger cam, new heads, new Canton oil pan, correct push rod / rocker geometry and new pluig wires. Maybe see some 11.60's at 124 MPH. That is pretty impressive.

Lloyd
For supposedly being a standup guy you sure know how to talk out of your ***. I made 375rwhp with the gm846 cam not the bre cam, but I guess you like to leave out facts like a cam swap when claiming gains with your heads.

And I guess you also like to make up BS claims about what customers ran with your heads too? I went 12.09@118.1 with your heads in NEGATIVE 1000 FOOT D/A, and 12.1x @118.3 in POSITIVE 500 foot d/a with my old "gasket matched" heads. I guess it's normal for 1500 feet lower air density and another 40 cfm of flow to slow down a car? 12.09@118.1 is a far cry from your claimed 11.8x @122. Do you automatically take away 3/10ths and add 4mph when you tell people what customers ran with your products? Seems a little shady to me.

And I have a very bad miss with these wires that never happened before, so no it didn't affect my old setup. And the valve float was YOUR FAULT since you didn't take the time to setup the springs right. I found some that were at 1.80" which is pretty far off from 1.75-1.76" which is where they were supposed to be.

And what about the hole in the pushrod pinch that you didn't fix before sending me my heads? Or the bolt holes you broke through porting but failed to have fixed? Seems like you have a serious lack of quality control. Improper spring height, holes in the pushrod pinch, holes in the ports that go into the bolt holes? The heads defiantly were not pressure checked. Or what about the fact that the heads were 13cc's bigger than advertised?

And the guides were CRACKED, not worn out. Even the guides that weren't worn out yet were cracked. They wore out because of the massive cracks in them, not improper pushrod length. I find it funny that you are not a machinist but you can make claims in what caused the failure. I've had 2 independent shops go through the heads and both of them came to the conclusion that it was a result of terrible machine work, not improper geometry. And it's kind of funny you still recommend the same pushrod length I was running and the same guide plates that I was running to new customers even though you are blaming them for my problems.

Or how about the quality of the port work? This sure seems pretty fishy to me. Not only did the exhaust flow way below advertised, they were ALL over the place as far as flow goes. So much for consistent port work.

What about the quality and consistency? The ports aren't even close to symmetrical and they don't even have straight lines on the port walls. Not only does that make it almost impossible for the gasket to seal, it is terrible for consistency.

And since when do you know what my cam specs are? It must be huge if I made 360rwtq at 2800 RPM's where as it took me until 4500 RPM's to break 360rwtq with your setup. And my old cam had lobes that were a lot more aggressive than the XFI and LSK lobes that Bret talks down so much on.

And how exactly does a canton oil pan gain me 25rwhp? Stock LT1's come with a pretty good windage tray incase you haven't noticed.

And you also like hiding the fact that I went back to a stock unported intake. You yourself said someone who was running the exact same setup I was running before gained 20rwhp with a ported intake. That means I would have gained 45rwhp over your heads. You would think with ports 18cc's larger your heads would have walked all over my new heads, guess not.

When you found out what heads I was going to switch to you and every other LE person out there was anxious to see the results. Now that I finally have them you are trying to make up absolutely ridiculous claims as to how I gained the power.

Quick Reply: Intake porting