LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

building 383

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Well the SVO injectors will put out more than 30#s. What injectors and fuel pressure are you running and what is there duty cycle?

And you could make 410-430 with 28# injectors and 52mm, but if made statements like that about my products I also would over do the supporting mods just to guarantee the results.

What all do you have that makes such big numbers. The OP might be interested in your setup.

I'm not going to **** for distance here. I was simply trying to say if I were buying new injectors I would go bigger than 30's and I'm sure that more of your to notch builders would agree.

As far as my combo goes 383 stroker Brodix heads, good parts, good engine builder it's really that simple.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I second the stock LT1 timing chain being plenty strong...Mine was fine for 10 years and then in 2005 when we swapped cams and re-ported the heads I just bought another stock chain...At my weenie power level it works fine...

--Alan
Old 01-06-2008, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BADHAWK51
I'm not going to **** for distance here. I was simply trying to say if I were buying new injectors I would go bigger than 30's and I'm sure that more of your to notch builders would agree.

As far as my combo goes 383 stroker Brodix heads, good parts, good engine builder it's really that simple.

I run Accel 30s with no problems, but if I had it to do again I'd go the 42s just to lower the duty cycle further...With your numbers what are your track times?

--Alan
Old 01-06-2008, 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ABA383
I second the stock LT1 timing chain being plenty strong...Mine was fine for 10 years and then in 2005 when we swapped cams and re-ported the heads I just bought another stock chain...At my weenie power level it works fine...

--Alan
Alan your **** is flying for your race weight and smaller converter. I agree with you I will take ET's over dyno numbers any day. Your car is a good example of a working combo.

Congrats.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Alan your **** is flying for your race weight and smaller converter. I agree with you I will take ET's over dyno numbers any day. Your car is a good example of a working combo.

Congrats.
Thanks! I just had my Vig restalled to 4000 from 3600 after the output shaft of my trans went boom...That addition and a Spohn rear drag bar and some more suspension tuning hopefully will get me somewhere into the 1.4s 60's and then things could get real interesting...I think 121 mph is on the bubble mph wise for a 10 second run if everything is perfect...We'll see...I'm trying to do more with less (cam, heads, etc) while maintaining streetability...

--Alan
Old 01-06-2008, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ABA383
I run Accel 30s with no problems, but if I had it to do again I'd go the 42s just to lower the duty cycle further...With your numbers what are your track times?

--Alan
It's a new combo and the car was in the shop at the end of the year getting a cage. No times yet but I will post some up come spring. I'am hoping for some 10's na but I would settle for your numbers. The car is set up for spray so it will be a little slower on motor.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

It's a new combo and the car was in the shop at the end of the year getting a cage. No times yet but I will post some up come spring. I'am hoping for some 10's na but I would settle for your numbers. The car is set up for spray so it will be a little slower on motor.
Sounds like a sweet set up...Good luck with everything...Mine's going in finally for a custom chrome moly 6 point in early February...I guess its finally time to be legal...Your car should be deep in the 10a at well over 125, I'd think...

--Alan
Old 01-06-2008, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
What do you run at the track near your house? And you drop a whole second in the heat? What temps do you normally run in? More popular options went slower than 12.8? Goddamn, I'm glad I never wanted an b-body car.
Dwayne does make it sound like the Bbodies are slow I agree.
The popular combos were not well represented at the 2007 Impala Nats (St. Louis). Previous years had LE represented well by Glen Koenig and the 306 cam represented well by Andy Nick.

2005 stock bottom 350 with LE/BRE combo Glen Koenig
http://karl-ellwein.org/Pocono2005/supernatural.htm

2006 with 354 and LE/BRE combo Glen Koenig
http://www.karl-ellwein.org/Indy2006/supernatural.htm

The 306 cam in a heavy car and stock bottom 350LT1, Andy Nick, at steaming heat stroke hot Tulsa raceway 2003,
http://www.karl-ellwein.org/Tulsa200...pernatural.htm

2007 Glen Koenig ran stock heads/cam.

If I did not bring my road race super charged car, what do you think my DGGM would have ran in 2007 at St. Louis Dwayne? (with the 227 cam, with the 846 cam, with the BRE cam?).

How can any of those combos be inferior when they run so well in real life in black and white with time slips to show? You think you could have squeezed a 12.3 with light wheels and dropping the exhaust to match ol' Stumpy Glen Koenig's performance at Island in 2005? As strong as your heads/cam combo is right now I think it would be out gunned by Stumpy's old combo.

I am an Ai supporter and user but I firmly believe that LE and BRE are excellent heads/cam combinations and the bashing of them is wrong and mean spirited and for the wrong intentions.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl Ellwein
Good.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl Ellwein
The popular combos were not well represented at the 2007 Impala Nats (St. Louis). Previous years had LE represented well by Glen Koenig and the 306 cam represented well by Andy Nick.

2005 stock bottom 350 with LE/BRE combo Glen Koenig
http://karl-ellwein.org/Pocono2005/supernatural.htm

2006 with 354 and LE/BRE combo Glen Koenig
http://www.karl-ellwein.org/Indy2006/supernatural.htm

The 306 cam in a heavy car and stock bottom 350LT1, Andy Nick, at steaming heat stroke hot Tulsa raceway 2003,
http://www.karl-ellwein.org/Tulsa200...pernatural.htm

2007 Glen Koenig ran stock heads/cam.

If I did not bring my road race super charged car, what do you think my DGGM would have ran in 2007 at St. Louis Dwayne? (with the 227 cam, with the 846 cam, with the BRE cam?).

How can any of those combos be inferior when they run so well in real life in black and white with time slips to show? You think you could have squeezed a 12.3 with light wheels and dropping the exhaust to match ol' Stumpy Glen Koenig's performance at Island in 2005? As strong as your heads/cam combo is right now I think it would be out gunned by Stumpy's old combo.

I am an Ai supporter and user but I firmly believe that LE and BRE are excellent heads/cam combinations and the bashing of them is wrong and mean spirited and for the wrong intentions.
Let's be honest Karl this is about spiting me because we kept going back and forth outrunning eachother and I outran the trailered LE Trickflow topped 385 you built when we met in St. Louis and I was not ashamed about it.
Maybe it bares noting too that Mike Harris's NA AI topped 383 car ran what .6 faster than your blower car in St. Louis how big a stroker is that?

Glen Koenig wieghted 4030 at Island with 70 degree weather Total seal rings in that "stock shortblock" an electic WP worth .1 and a coated intake manifold you endorse as being worth what .1-15, and has publically said he questions the streetability of the valvetrain.

Your car is an engine test mule(Karl is an engine builder and competitive bracket racer) not a daily driver, last you raced it weighted what 3800lbs, mine is a true street car that actually sees many daily driver miles and has a true stock shortblock not the rebuilt ones and built motors you want too compare mine too.

I think it is quite irresponsible of you to misslead these other folks about your setup, are you honestly claiming those Comp 3192 lobes you are running are safe and prudent for a street car? Thing has more lift with 1.5s than mine does with 1.6s, your shaft rockers are likely a big part of what is allowing it to work rather than break stuff as it has for so many others.
Before you went back and edited your posts about it I looked it up 106LSA is a joy on the street right?

Here are details for the discussed cars and setups.
http://dan.esteban.com/impalass/Retu...&CompareID=437

It is flattering for a carpenter with a street car to rattle an engine builder and competitive bracket racers with race cars the way I seem too. I must be doing something right?

On the shortblocks I find it interesting how you compare rebuilt motors too mine that has ever had a bearing cap pulled, that is a level playing feild right.

How come you left out the comparison too the 3400lbs with driver car this time, it's just 700lbs, means nothing?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:00 AM
On The Tree

Dwayne, I'll let your whole post stand as firm evidence that you are blinded by ego and cannot see the value and accomplishments of other folk. Good humble and friendly folk like Nabil Guffey and Andy Nick and Glen Keonig and Ryan Ahart.

You'll ignore the well performing AFR headed Ahart combo and minimize anyone's accomplishments attempting to shine light on your combo.

The only things about you that riles this junior engine builder is your condescending attitute and that you give kudos to your combo and ignore all the other good combos and you generally won't credit your source of learning.

No matter how much you think you are helping save the world and teaching people the proper way, being condescending and disrespectful to you fellow man will not get you to the finish line first.

But I do get a chuckle every time you bring up racers advantage over you. Really, I get to smile instead of steam whenever you say that. Test-n-tune is what you do and that is the path to going quicker. If I could test-n-tune instead of bracket race I could experiment and go even quicker and I long for the days of test-n-tune. It's fun.

Karl Ellwein
Old 01-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Launching!

wow, I leave for a day and a war breaks out...let's leave that for the PM's. There is always a faster car out there. I am NOT looking to try and be competitive making my Wife's car the fastest car on the road. When it comes time to rebuild my ls1 Z28, we will talk about that. She wants a car that sounds mean as hell, and has the E.T's to back it up. A fast *** car for a female. We decided if we could get her T/A at around 400 rwhp, that will definetely get some attention and she would be happy with it.

I e-mailed Jeff Creech and he wrote back in less than a day which really impresses me. He had some good things to say and I will continue talking with him on the motor. Thanks to everybody who had some advice.

Oh Caprice by the way...Jeff said the cc306 is a good cam, and suggested going with possibly a smaller cam.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Nick glad to see its coming together, let me know how the build goes.

Originally Posted by BOLO
RedHotTransam, SEMPER FI from a brother Marine! Nice to see that EAGLE,GLOBE&ANCHOR!
I was with 1st Marine Div. 2/11 Delta @Camp Horno "The Walking Dead" in the 80's. An 0311, and I miss it.
Anyways, good luck with your rebuild. And remember to keep your head low when your out there in the trench. SEMPER FI,,OORAH and all that good ****!!!
Im not trying to start anything but u might have mixed up units, 1/9 was the walking dead, 11th marines is a artilery unit.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by REDHOtTransAM
wow, I leave for a day and a war breaks out...let's leave that for the PM's. There is always a faster car out there. I am NOT looking to try and be competitive making my Wife's car the fastest car on the road. When it comes time to rebuild my ls1 Z28, we will talk about that. She wants a car that sounds mean as hell, and has the E.T's to back it up. A fast *** car for a female. We decided if we could get her T/A at around 400 rwhp, that will definetely get some attention and she would be happy with it.

I e-mailed Jeff Creech and he wrote back in less than a day which really impresses me. He had some good things to say and I will continue talking with him on the motor. Thanks to everybody who had some advice.

Oh Caprice by the way...Jeff said the cc306 is a good cam, and suggested going with possibly a smaller cam.
You would be more impressed if you talked to him on the phone. You know you call some places and they act like they barely have time to talk to you , not him. He will talk to you as long as it takes to make sure you have a good felling about the work he will be doing.And you can tell he has a real passion for late model GM cars. That goes a long way with me.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Karl, it stuck me that Glen running 13.4 in St. Louis when that is all the strokers were running further proves my point that he is a person who will make anything fast. That is giving credit to the individual who knows more about making a car fast than I do.

Remember all my cam only car ran in a negative DA was 13.2, Glen made his car run 13.4 at a 4000ft DA, that takes some skills and work, skills I don't have and work I don't put into my car. In his hands I am confident my car would need a rollbar.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by REDHOtTransAM

I'm in agreement with the cam...I'd go a bit smaller in duration with more lift than the CC306...220ish to 230ish around .570 lift with the lsa as you'd like it..mine's at 111 which was the middle of the road in case I ever feel like throwing a small shot of nitrous on it...which I doubt I'll ever do...I know every car is different, but I think your wife would love the cam I have...Its proven, is good for a DD, and still gets 20 mpg on the hwy...Doesn't need big gears/converter and you only need 6300rpm to get the job done...I've got the cam card and its ground by Erson if interested...Obviously talk to Jeff...just throwing it out there...

--Alan
Old 02-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Launching!

looks like we have one picked out. we are going with the Victory Racing Engines 383ci Sportsman Series Short Block
http://www.victoryracingengines.com/...TX&BLOCK=SHORT
specs:
Eagle 4340 3.750" Crankshaft
Eagle 6.000" H-Beam Rods
SRP Forged Pistons
Perfect Circle Piston Rings
Clevite Rod Bearings
Clevite Main Bearings
Clevite Cam Bearings
ARP Main Studs
Fully Machine Block w/Deck Plates
Balance Rotating Assembly
Assemble Short Block

going to stick with her stock ported heads and the cc306 cam.

anybody have any idea on what dyno numbers or track times we should expect with this set up?

What do you guys think?

Last edited by REDHOtTransAM; 02-22-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dang Perfect Circle is making piston rings now, I always liked there music maybe I should try their piston rings too. Think they make onion rings also?

Last edited by Stroked96Bowtie; 02-22-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stroked96Bowtie
Dang Perfect Circle is making piston rings now, I always liked there music maybe I should try there piston rings too. Think they make onion rings also?
haha, kick *** piston rings from a kick *** band.

....not sure about the onion rings....
Old 02-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Launching!

Bump...

Quick Reply: building 383