LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Just bought Rebuilt LT1

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought Rebuilt LT1

Got this LT1 that spun a bearing from over revving, he had this motor in his RX7 then rebuilt it. It was bored over .30 and ported and polished. New pistons, new crank, but we think it's the same rods. Since I don't have the tools needed to do the swap, a friend of mine is doing the swap. I was told today one of the pistons were backwards... This kid that sold me the motor is suppose to be an experienced mechanic. When I say kid I mean 20-21 years old. He says he's rebuilt plenty of motors before and he seemed legit at the time. Other problem my friend says is it's extremely hard to turn the motor over. It's suppose to be tough, but not that tough. I'm not much for the internals of motors, but is this motor worth trying to put in after fixing these problems or should I find this guy and get my money back? But it was for a pretty damn good price, I would like to put the motor in if it's at all possible. I'm willing to bet it's not going to be as easy as getting my money back and giving his motor back. I'm not going to call him either about the problems with the motor, were going to take it by a machine shop and get opinions from someone there too. I'll call him up one day with the list of problems when I'm ready if it comes down to it.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would have everything checked out and verified by a reputable machine shop. You can't just buy new crap and put it all back together, it has to be balanced, tolerances have to be checked etc.
If the block is in good shape then there is no reason why you should not rebuild it. These are also high compression engines therefor they will be hard to turn over by hand with the heads on and plugs in.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Yeah, have the machine shop look at it, you will have to actually spend some money on it, it sounds like, but if you got it at a cheap enough price, why not?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I recommend removing the spark plugs and see if it turns over by hand any easier, that will tell you if some thing locked up. these motors are a MO FO when trying to turn them over by hand against the compression.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

turning it over shouldnt be that hard with a decent sized breaker bar. make sure no other pistons or rods are backwards... <--- makes it VERY hard to turn over. i would definately go back through it.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:36 AM
Teching In

The heads are off, along with the oil pan and valve cover. So plugs are not in and I'm having this issue.

Also, this motor is at a mechanics house along with my car on the other side of the city. I won't be able to do any work to it myself.

How much should this run me to have a machine shop fix it?

Originally Posted by Rocky70304
Yeah, have the machine shop look at it, you will have to actually spend some money on it, it sounds like, but if you got it at a cheap enough price, why not?
Because I spent what I had on the motor.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Machine work varies greatly from region to region. I would say that it shouldn't be no more than $300 for a reassembly. Thats a fair price considering that it will be done right. I sure hope that it was balanced before prior install that will make a WORLD of difference!