LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

opinions needed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions needed...

i know this isnt tech, but wanted to ask ltx people....
ok so i have this pretty quick camaro now... and its fun... and i was going to go the traditonal route and typical drag setup because lets face it, when you see or hear camaro, think drag racing and thats what everyone does...but, i also have a bug for corner carving, but love the camaro... so was thinking about seting up for road racing.. now i know these cars can do it, my grandfather and uncle road race thier '95 firehawk hardcore, it only see's road racing... i just cant decide tho, i like both drag and corners, but drag also gets boring after a while and screwing around on the streets there are turns that i cant take.... i got walked by a stock wrx 2 weeks ago on the highway when we were going through the turns... soon as highway went straight, he wouldnt do ****, soon as there was a turn in highway he was gone and i couldnt keep up and that pissed me off a lot... so what would you do if you had my car... nothing is a for sure, just thinking things over and just wondering what others would do..
Old 01-17-2008, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

anyone?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, its extremely hard to do well at both because they are kind of opposite goals. For road racing your want extremely tight suspension to hold the road, for drag you want loose to enable weight transfer.

If you want to try both though, set it up for road racing, you will still do alright (though not nearly the best) at the track. But if you set it up for drag and then road race you will probably kill yourself haha
Old 01-17-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

You should set your car up for whatever gives you the most enjoyment. I like drag racing but road racing would probably be pretty fun.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

get adjustable everything and some adjustable coilovers and you should be good
Old 01-17-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badzee
get adjustable everything and some adjustable coilovers and you should be good
Doesn't really work that way. For example koni adjustables are pretty much universally recognized as the best road racing shock, but even on the most loose setting, they will not do anywhere near as well at drag as a drag shock (such as QA1s etc).

If you try to do both, you will end up with a setup that is maybe marginally good at either, and if that's all you want then that's fine, but don't delude yourself into thinking you will have a killer setup that can do either well just because you have adjustable components.

btw this would probably get better answers in the suspension forum. lt1s have basically the exact same suspension as ls1s.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah thats true.. i mean he said he wants to do both.. realistically you cant, so if you go that route by getting adjustable everything, you can do both to an extent, but it wont be full blown
Old 01-18-2008, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

i understand i cant have the best of both in one car.. i looking more for an all around car

Quick Reply: opinions needed...