LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

can I keep a broken EGR system instead of blocking it off

Old 01-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can I keep a broken EGR system instead of blocking it off

I drive a 97 LT1 Camaro and my EGR is throwing a code PO400 (EGR flow malfunction) but I am not realizing any thing wrong while driving can I leave everything together instead of having to delete the whole EGR system and block it off? I deleted the code and it drives fine and once or twice it has backfired when letting off the gas which I am not too concerned about.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:46 AM
TECH Resident

You might try taking the valve off and giving it a good cleaning. They tend to get gunked up with carbon deposits over the years. It also should be fairly easy to find a good used one, since so many people take them off. I just tossed the one that came off of my 94 a couple of months ago when I was getting ready to move.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

ya we cleaned out the carbon with carbon cleaner but then realized it was getting no vacuum because the negative terminal wasnt getting any electrical currnet. And Im not sure if the PCM has to trigger the negative current to give it vacuum and then the valve will open because apparently the valve isnt supposed to be operating all the time. SO I really dont feel like dealng with all that and just want to leave it on and say forget it lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can I keep a broken EGR system instead of blocking it off