LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Smooth Idle cam??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
No he should pick low duration NOT spread the LSA stupidly wide as you want and raise the idle and play with timing to get the idle smooth.

I can see about a 113 for emissions but that is the limit and the only reason to go that wide.

The little Lingenfelter one as I said can idle very smooth.

that makes alot of sense lets get a cam that has a rough idle and make it idle at 3000 rpm so you cant hear the cam
Old 01-27-2008, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Whitez406
How is that stupidly wide? 114 or 115 is great for what he wants. They have much better street manners. How is a 113 or lower better for emissions? If he uses a 110-112 hes gonna start to develop the idle he doesnt want and get a peakier rpm range. Maybe he should just run the same setup as you along with everyone else on this entire website cause noone will ever have as good of a setup as you do. You shoot down everyone in almost every thread on this site. Really he should be talking to someone on the tech line at comp, crane or LPE. They would steer him in the rite direction but im sure you out knowledge them as well.
well said!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am saying 113 is the widest I would go and only do that for emissions reasons.

One of the Impala guys tried this
Erson 222/226, 116 LSA, 8 deg advance, .512 int/exh lift with 1.6 rockers
was slower than the GM845 cam he had before it on and off the bottle.

The tech lines at the big cam companies are not going to be a good idea, you will get someone who knows little about cars and is just looking at a computer screen. Comp has a "cam selection program" tha actually recommends the big XFI 242 duration cam for my car that is the sort of info you will get from their tech line. The average guy will never talk to someone knowledgable at those places.

If he wants a stockish idle then mine would be the wrong setup, isn't wild, been compared to the HOT cam's sound but is definetely not stock smooth.

With the Vizard article I posted above I had hoped to educate some people as to why the typical "spread the lobes" idea is so bad, but apparently you don't want to listen to one of the guys who did the R&D for several of the big cam companies and explains why the off the shelf stuff is not ideal.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im not telling him to go off the shelf. Alot of the wide lsa cams have large lifts and moderate durations and idle very smooth. My personal opinion would be to use something with a 224-228 duration with a good lift and a 114 or 115. That would give him power down low with a solid torque curve, good midrange and plenty on the top, be very street friendly, and good smooth idle. He could throw a nice shot of it and make very good power. If he called somewhere he should talk to a tech not a sales person.

A buddy of mine has an LS1 with the LPE topend with a GT-11 cam. Its in the 230's duration like 640 lift and its on a 118. It idles great, very very street freindly, and it pulls its *** off up top yet.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I am saying 113 is the widest I would go and only do that for emissions reasons.

One of the Impala guys tried this
Erson 222/226, 116 LSA, 8 deg advance, .512 int/exh lift with 1.6 rockers
was slower than the GM845 cam he had before it on and off the bottle.

The tech lines at the big cam companies are not going to be a good idea, you will get someone who knows little about cars and is just looking at a computer screen. Comp has a "cam selection program" tha actually recommends the big XFI 242 duration cam for my car that is the sort of info you will get from their tech line. The average guy will never talk to someone knowledgable at those places.

If he wants a stockish idle then mine would be the wrong setup, isn't wild, been compared to the HOT cam's sound but is definetely not stock smooth.

With the Vizard article I posted above I had hoped to educate some people as to why the typical "spread the lobes" idea is so bad, but apparently you don't want to listen to one of the guys who did the R&D for several of the big cam companies and explains why the off the shelf stuff is not ideal.
That looks more like a turbo grind. Theres next to no lift on it he could of used more duration with the 116. I dont know the specs on the gm845 cam so that doesnt help me at all.

Last edited by Whitez406; 01-27-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess to me NO LOPE means something different than to everyone else. If he truely wants the car not to lope at all, the cadillac cam will work great. The hot cam, or these small lpe cams WILL LOPE so they won't work.

BTW, Bret won't go a no lope cam, I tried that before. You might try contacting Keith McCord, he did the custom cam in my TBSS that didn't lope at all, NOBODY knew it was in there. If you want a contact info, pm me.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...Really he should be talking to someone on the tech line at comp, crane or LPE. They would steer him in the rite direction but im sure you out knowledge them as well.
That's the worst idea yet. If you want to talk to a burger-flipper thats looking at a catalog for you, then do that.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A wider LSA would result in a broader power range with more midrange power...
In every test I've ever seen, spreading the LSA reduced midrange torque and power. In one case, as much as 50 ft-lb of peak torque was lost when going from a 106 to a 110. We are already giving up alot of midrange because our cams are typically around 112-114. Spreading this to 116+ will just kill more mid.

I agree with 96cap. Reduce duration and keep the LSA around 112.

No need to call the cam companies or pay anyone for a recommendation. Just get a custom Comp ground using Extreme high lift series lobes. They make an aggressive lobe that's 214 and another that's 224. Just go with the 214/224-112, .565/.605.

Mike

P.S. Every time I see a "which cam do I choose for my LT1" thread, I try to help out. But, the original thread-starter gets opinions that from some knowledgeable and some not that vary wildly and therefore, can not make a decision and decides to either call one of the custom-cam guys or the manufacturer. He throws himself into analysis-paralysis. Armyman, just pick whichever cam you can find cheapest (Crane 227 or LPE 211/219) or if you want a tad bit more power, get the custom Comp 214/224 I mentioned above. You won't be able to tell a difference between them honestly.

Last edited by engineermike; 01-28-2008 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by engineermike
In every test I've ever seen, spreading the LSA reduced midrange torque and power. In one case, as much as 50 ft-lb of peak torque was lost when going from a 106 to a 110. We are already giving up alot of midrange because our cams are typically around 112-114. Spreading this to 116+ will just kill more mid.

I agree with 96cap. Reduce duration and keep the LSA around 112.

No need to call the cam companies or pay anyone for a recommendation. Just get a custom Comp ground using Extreme high lift series lobes. They make an aggressive lobe that's 214 and another that's 224. Just go with the 214/224-112, .565/.605.

Mike

P.S. Every time I see a "which cam do I choose for my LT1" thread, I try to help out. But, the original thread-starter gets opinions that from some knowledgeable and some not that vary wildly and therefore, can not make a decision and decides to either call one of the custom-cam guys or the manufacturer. He throws himself into analysis-paralysis. Armyman, just pick whichever cam you can find cheapest (Crane 227 or LPE 211/219) or if you want a tad bit more power, get the custom Comp 214/224 I mentioned above. You won't be able to tell a difference between them honestly.
Your rite on the torque i had it backwards. Damnit but it still offers the idle quality he wants, better emissions, driveability, broaded power curve. I never said to use a 116+. I said to use 114 or 115 at most. I havent used anything that small on a 112 only 108's and 110's and even with durations in the 210 you can still pick the cam out.

Last edited by Whitez406; 01-28-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Smooth Idle cam??