LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 LT1 from Golen -- reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008 | 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Engineer
I see their engines on Super-Comp dragsters all the time, but do they specalize in LTX engines?

WD
He specalizes in sbc/bbc which the the foundation of the lt1 is built upon. I think if you were to call him he would build you what ever you wanted. Although Im sure it would cost a pretty penny given his name and reputation.
Old 05-01-2008 | 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

yeah he isnt cheap but its well worth it paying for his reliable reputation
Old 09-12-2009 | 08:40 PM
Teching In

Default my Golen 383

this is my second Golen engine and in a good way I liked the LT1 500hp setup so much that now I'm adding a F-1 ProCharger to it. Got my dyno sheets to prove it. 22psi on a Golen engine with 3k upgrades makes 1166hp on chasy dyno. If I do my math correct you lose about 25% to accessories and drive train. I'm looking at 850-950hp to rear wheels. I like Golens work good strong and vary reliable motors! This is going into a weekend cruiser/show condition 97 SS with a front clip conversion to 02'.
Old 09-12-2009 | 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

My old, now brothers 96 383 m6 has a forged golen shortblock, lpe ported stock heads/ intake. Its on it's 6th season with 8k mi and running strong! pulls 20-21psi vacuum at hot idle and has enough power to run with Bpu Supras on 20+lbs of boost w/ race gas tune.
Old 09-12-2009 | 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Not to bash on anyone but I had a friend with a SHAFT-Roff( I now I purposely spelt it that way) Shortblock in his car and it took a **** within 1,000 miles,The rings were rubbing the Cylinder walls like crazy,He tore it apart and called them and they said,It's a race motor,**** happens! That was shitty for him.Every motor differs so maybe that was and issolated incident.

On the other hand I think Golen is a Good builder.

Last edited by LS1iFiEd; 09-12-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-14-2009 | 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ABA383
If I were going to buy a built crate LT1 of either 350 or 383 variety it'd be from Lingenfelter and no where else...Mine is on its 13th year and the bottom end has NEVER been apart and NEVER had any issues...13 years of racing and DD and over 50,000 miles of flawless performance....The devil is in the details and LPE is, imho, hands down the best out there...

--Alan
I think you got a good one from back in the day when John was still around. I was just taking with a guy at the local car show. He had a 25th Ann TA built 383, super Ram intake and all that jazz by LPE. Still runs great to this day 13yrs later.
He also had his LSX Vette done there and has had 3 new short blocks since and took 8 months to get the car back after the second one. The motor **** itself within 1000 miles and they tried to tell him it was out of warranty. He said **** that you had the car for 8 months. If you would have got it done sooner It would of still been under the 3yr warranty when it went. After a long battle they agreed to give him his 3rd motor and told him this is the very last one.
The cars barely ever see the track, and they didnt blow up due to abuse. He also brings the entire car to LPE and had them do all the work and tuning.
He brought the car over to Jim aka Intimidate at Speedinc to check the tune and it was way off. Jim retuned it and it has been good ever since.
The guy WAS a huge LPE fan and now curses them a will NEVER EVER USE THEM AGAIN. Says ever since John passed qaulity it went to crap.

I know of a few killer Golen engines that run strong as hell!!!!
Old 09-14-2009 | 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Lpe sold out last year. Tom Cress is who ran lpe after john passed. Tom took a job with comp, after it sold. Im not sure if Lambert(the main engine builder) is there anymore either. I think the guy that owns the lpe in texas bought it and yes I have herd about issues like stated above since. Pretty sad being this company pretty muched paved the way in the late model fuel injection performance world.
Old 09-14-2009 | 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by LS1iFiEd
Not to bash on anyone but I had a friend with a SHAFT-Roff( I now I purposely spelt it that way) Shortblock in his car and it took a **** within 1,000 miles,The rings were rubbing the Cylinder walls like crazy,He tore it apart and called them and they said,It's a race motor,**** happens! That was shitty for him.Every motor differs so maybe that was and issolated incident.

On the other hand I think Golen is a Good builder.
my dad has a shafferoff 434 smallblock in his 70 nova. It's a ****** beast!!! It's been a great motor for 6yrs now. I would hope so for almost 10k lol.

Quick Reply: 383 LT1 from Golen -- reliable?