LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Shift problem on automatic

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift problem on automatic

When vehicle is parked on level ground everything is fine. When it's not it is very hard to get the shift ****/lock to disengage so it can put into drive or reverse. Yes my foot is on the brake. Does this sound like a bad safety neutral switch or something else? Thanks for your imput in advance.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Sounds like you need to use the parking brake.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rocky70304
Sounds like you need to use the parking brake.
Tried that and still have the same problem.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Teching In

My 95z has the same problem. Only 70,000 miles, but was in a very minor front end accident before, dont know if that has anything to do with it. By minor i mean, truck backed out of parking space and the hitch cought the edge of the hood and cracked the front bumper cover and crunched the hood back a couple inches. cosmetic only. I didnt have the car then, but i got pictures of the damage when i bought the car. So im not sure if it had the shifting problem before it or not. I sometimes have to pound on the button to get it to go all the way in and release.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

It sounds like the parking pawl trying to disengage. Since the ground isn't level, it's putting the car's weight on one piece of metal. Rockey is right, use the parking brake. You said you do use the parking brake, but same problem. Lemme ask you this, are you engaging the parking brake after you put it in park? I always put it in neutral, pull the e-brake, let go of foot brake to unload suspension, then put it in Park.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ralls
It sounds like the parking pawl trying to disengage. Since the ground isn't level, it's putting the car's weight on one piece of metal. Rockey is right, use the parking brake. You said you do use the parking brake, but same problem. Lemme ask you this, are you engaging the parking brake after you put it in park? I always put it in neutral, pull the e-brake, let go of foot brake to unload suspension, then put it in Park.
Well, I usaully come to a stop, pull e-brake, then put in park. I've had this car for 4 years now and this just started 2 months ago and it's not consistant, but does only happen on uneven ground. That's why I'm leaning towards a going bad or loose neutral safety switch. Just haven't had time to check under the colum yet, but also didn't want to waste my time if this was a known issue.

Quick Reply: Shift problem on automatic