LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wont start!!! Help guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wont start!!! Help guys

This is my first f-body and really dont know to much about them just yet.

I have had the car for going on two months now and have not had any problems with it. Ok i started it up today and it started great like it always has. I let it idle for awhile while i removed the ttops (Almost 60 outside!!!) Got in and drove it maybe 2 miles to my work, shut it off, and maybe 5 minutes later came back out and tryed to turn it over. Nothing... When i turn the ignition switch on none of the lights in the gauge cluster come on. The oil pressure gauge doesnt zero out and the volt gauge doesnt register. Also i dont hear my fuel pump running. But if i have the ignition switch on the run position my radio works, and my turn signals will work.

What i have tried:
I have tried jumping, cleaning battery cables, checked all my fuses (interior and engine bay).
I also have ruled out that my starter is fine (Screwdriver). I also tried leaving the ignition in the run position and cranking over the engine with the screwdriver. It will crank but there is no fire. I know now that i have an electrical probem and not a mechanical one.

Where would you guys recommend me looking? My first insticnt i had was an ignition switch. Would a bad ignition switch be the cluprit?

I also want to know if the little resistor in the key that deals with the security system can ever go bad?

I have a feeling that this is going to be something that is really simple. I just cannot for the life of me figure out what is giving me fits. Any help you guys can offer me would be very helpful.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

if it is the key then the security light on the dash should be lit up when you try to start the car and it will stay on after you remove the key. if the starter is turning the engine over and you still have no spark it may be the opti rain or high humidity can make them go haywire. what year is it?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well there is not security light on at all. No lights in the dash are comming on with the key turned on. Its a 97 Firebird formula. When i turn the key nothing happens. Which is why i am guessing it may be the ignitions switch or the ignition key locking mechanism....
Old 01-28-2008, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

i dunno. but not getting any electricity in the car then its not the resistor in the key. my key has a mind of its own and sometimes it wont start but the security light is on. after 2 or 3 mins the light goes off and it starts fine. check all your grounds. if your fuel pump isint coming on or nothing you may have a wire grounding out somewhere. make sure the battery is charged and follow the wires all the way from the terminal.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

theres a 10amp fuse on the row toward the fromt of the car its the dash lights and security system fuse double check it. w/o it mine wont do crap.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I will be sure to check that. Thanks alot bud. Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Going to be checking that fuse when i get to work. Thanks again
Old 01-28-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

checked the fuses. nothing. When i turn and hold the ignition the red light on my dash stays lite. Could that have anything to do with the key not working correctly?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Still nothing guys. Anyone else have any ideas. Or something similar happen to you?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

any suggestions?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Still havent traced down the problem....
Old 01-30-2008, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

try locking the doors with the remote if you have one then unlock them with the key try to crank it if the alarm goes off the car doesnt recognize the key.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

It may be time to invest $15-20.00 and go to a local auto supply to pick up a Haynes or similar manual with wire diagrams. The ignition switch in run position has multiple wires feeding the wire harness & fuse blocks. EG: Pink to injectors, air bag and PCM, Orange to ABS, Fan circuit, turn signals and HVAC.Yellow to Theft deterrent relay and Brown to radio, window controls and wipers. I looks like your PCM is may not be working at all (no gauges or fuel pump during initial key activation) check pink wire, pin 30 on black PCM connector for +12 but that's just another wild guess at this point. With a diagram you can start systematically isolating where you have missing voltage or missing grounds and work towards the problem.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Dang bud you still haven't figured it out yet??

I've been hurting my brain trying to think of what it could be but I don't know what would cause it to do that.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Figured it out guys. It was the ignition switch in the column. Thanks for the help everyone!!!