LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 stroker question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 stroker question

Alright, so I am going to stroke the old engine. I am planning on stroking the LT1, but I have a couple of questions. This motor is going to mainly be a street motor, it will only see the track once a month or less. I don't plan on running any NOS, if I do it will only be a very small shot. I have an LT4 hotcam in my current engine for it, and am going to have the factory aluminum heads ported and polished. My question is I am thinking of using one of the eagle street/strip kits from summit, are these kits worth anything, or are they junk. Also, would I come out better in the long run buying what i need seperately, as far as less money, or better quality??
Old 02-02-2008, 02:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Eagle rods and I'm happy with them. I'm sure for what you're intentions are with the car their kit will be fine. I would say you will most likely want to research cams al ittle more as the hotcam is not highly reccomended in strokers (limmited rpm range). I'm not a cam expert so I can't really give much advise as to what to get. I would say call someone like Comp or talk to whoever is doing you're heads and see what they reccomend (off the shelf or custom). I'm surprised no one else has jumped in on this as the hotcam is pretty much a love it or hate it cam on this site! Good Luck!
Old 02-02-2008, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I did not answer sooner because it looks to me like the build will be a failure with or without help.

He breezed over the heads and focused on the rotating assembly which to me is proof he does not understand how to make power. The thought of using the HOT is just more proof of that.

Eagle is not great stuff. It holds together but they have dimensional and machining issues, Scat makes better parts.

Looking at Summit they have a domed piston kit for $1045, that will not work. The dished piston kits are $1500 and include a flywheel and balancing BUT Eagle's balance work is crap and will need to be redone so figure in another couple hundred dollars for that.

Now you are getting up high enough in price that you should be looking at Compstar, FAR better parts, balancing I would trust over most local shops and probably the best value to be had.

If you want to go cheap as possible you could do a $200 Scat cast crank, $300 Scat capscrew I-beam rods and Mahle pistons at $5-600, by the time you put bearing and balance together I bet you are still up around $1500 and this is a crank that will work but I suspect is weaker than the stocker, go to a forged Scat crank at $4-500 and it puts you right back up at the Compstar price.

You want a budget powerhouse sink the money into the topend not the bottom. Meaning get good porting on GM heads, not just trust any old guy who claims he can do it.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Launching!

I don't see why people hate the hotcam so much, it is a mild cam yes, but not everyone wants to A) have a car that lopes so much it barely idles, and B) make all there power at 7500 rpm. If you do want that great, for me I am not looking to go crazy, just have a respectable engine.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Putting a hotcam in a 383 stroker is just plain dumb...sorry
Old 02-02-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I did not answer sooner because it looks to me like the build will be a failure with or without help.

He breezed over the heads and focused on the rotating assembly which to me is proof he does not understand how to make power. The thought of using the HOT is just more proof of that.

Eagle is not great stuff. It holds together but they have dimensional and machining issues, Scat makes better parts.

Looking at Summit they have a domed piston kit for $1045, that will not work. The dished piston kits are $1500 and include a flywheel and balancing BUT Eagle's balance work is crap and will need to be redone so figure in another couple hundred dollars for that.

Now you are getting up high enough in price that you should be looking at Compstar, FAR better parts, balancing I would trust over most local shops and probably the best value to be had.

If you want to go cheap as possible you could do a $200 Scat cast crank, $300 Scat capscrew I-beam rods and Mahle pistons at $5-600, by the time you put bearing and balance together I bet you are still up around $1500 and this is a crank that will work but I suspect is weaker than the stocker, go to a forged Scat crank at $4-500 and it puts you right back up at the Compstar price.

You want a budget powerhouse sink the money into the topend not the bottom. Meaning get good porting on GM heads, not just trust any old guy who claims he can do it.
couldn't have said it any better
Old 02-02-2008, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocky70304
I don't see why people hate the hotcam so much, it is a mild cam yes, but not everyone wants to A) have a car that lopes so much it barely idles, and B) make all there power at 7500 rpm. If you do want that great, for me I am not looking to go crazy, just have a respectable engine.
In a stroker especially you can run a lot more cam than the HOT without these compromises.

I run a fair bit more cam without those compromises, and stay below 6500.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Launching!

What cam should I be running in the stroker than? The heads are going to LE, so I am not concerned with those.