LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Removing ASR

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing ASR

Iam thinking about removing my asr on my 97 Z28. I hate the way the solinoid is rite over the vavle cover and its just a pain in the ***. What is the correct way of removing it. Can i just remove the solenoid and wiring? Anything have to be done with the pcm?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think it's in the PCM, so there shouldn't be anything there. Kinda like the ABS unit. It's a separate entity that controls it's own system. I don't have ASR on my 93, so I can't really help much. SLP does make that on-start OFF switch you could get, and maybe just relocate the system somewhere else under the hood.

On that note: Question? Does ASR kick in the rear ABS, or does it adjust throttle/fuel during spin?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it adj. throttle/timing. I dont like it tho i would really prefer to remove and not relocate.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Right, but the SLP add-on, on start it is defaulted to OFF. Tried pulling it's fuse/relay yet and see if any SES/Check Engine flags fly?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I kno about the slp switch but i want to delete the **** above the valve cover and cables and whatnot. Im gonna be putting a 3ch rear in the car now i know i can still use the asr but i dont want it. Has anyone removed it from the car? The new valve covers i got wont fit under the bracket. I hate asr. Asr =
Old 02-03-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I'm googling to try and help you. Maybe this first one will help with removal even if it is to just have it Off on start:
http://www.fbody.com/tech/details.cgi?id=66

Also, this has a theory on removal too:
http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/arch.../t-211545.html

Reply on another board:
"Hi. the ASR is a relatively complex circuit. You can't add a resistor or unplug something and be rid of it without throwing codes.

SLP makes a module to reverse the function of the ASR dash switch for the latest models. It's nearly $70 though. I cannot recall if the ASR is something that can be deleted or altered by programming the PCM but I'm thinking that it can - by what sparks my memory. I have intentions of splurging and ordering up the SLP unit for my 01 if my ship comes in."

This one looks like what you want!
http://www.mfba.org/archive/index.php?t-4738.html
Simple enough as just getting a non ASR throttle cable and bypassing the unit, along with that resistor to keep the ASR, Air Bag or ABS light coming on. Also no not reprogramming needed as I suspected.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

I'm also looking to delete the ASR but retain the ABS. I am swithing from a 12-bolt to Moser's new 9" fabricated housing which evidently has 3-channel ABS capabilities...correct me if I'm wrong here. What is involved in keeping the ABS functional??? Is it feasible to "convert" the 4-channel to a 3-channel???
Old 02-03-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Another Q: Is 3 Channel Front L and R and then Rear, and 4 Channel F-L, F-R, R-L and R-R? Working them independently? Rather than 3 Channel working fronts as needed and rear both get worked at the same time?

If so, couldn't you be able to take the 'data' wire from the rear 2 and combine them and run a common ground?

I'm just rambling off idiotic theories that are most likely impossible, but I figured an idea is an idea.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?

Quick Reply: Removing ASR