LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My New 1993 Z28 Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just have one question,is the 282 pounds including seats,all the interior trim etc? cuz it seems like its not much if it does include that.What i would do is also remove the spoiler,headlights and tailights,install plexiglass windows in the front,gut the **** out of the doors so yuo are left with only the outside fasat,remove the sideskirts and install plastic seats lol
Old 07-02-2008, 08:32 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
tyler im impressed and ur making a saweet writeup for the rest of us non ingenuity guys lol dude honeslty i would put the turbo setup in ur 95 and make it a street car then make this one ur race car with the big block but thats me hehe good luck with whatever u deicede to do man! and thank you for the saweeeeeeeeeet writeup! this is sticky material... "The step by step guide on gutting the **** out of ur car!"
Thanks for the kind words. It's a lot of work and I try not to get burnt out working on it. Most of the ideas I've gotten off of random things I've seen other people do on here. I'm just putting it all together in one car and documenting it to the best of my ability. I'm still not completely sure what I'm going to do with the car. I have a lot of work to do before I need to make that decision.

Originally Posted by 19mike84
i have the same gap in my drivers side window.
What I noticed is that there's a screw that holds the back of the weather stripping together above the latch that holds the door shut. Mine is pushed all the way towards the center of the car. I'm going to loosen it and pull the weather stripping towards the outside of the car in hopes of it sealing better.

Originally Posted by GLT1
I just have one question,is the 282 pounds including seats,all the interior trim etc? cuz it seems like its not much if it does include that.What i would do is also remove the spoiler,headlights and tailights,install plexiglass windows in the front,gut the **** out of the doors so yuo are left with only the outside fasat,remove the sideskirts and install plastic seats lol
The 282 lbs only includes the things I will not be putting back into the car. It will have two leather seats, all the interior panels, power everything, AC, and power steering. I have already completely gutted the doors to the extent I feal comfortable with. If you look back a few pages you'll see there's not much left in there. I'm going to leave the outside looking completely stock. I plan on putting some lighter seats in down the road. I'm also going to put in a Percy's Speedglass polycarbonate rear and front windshield. I'd already decided I was going to replace the rear one, but when I broke the front one that made up the decision for me.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:33 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I was moving a little slow today. After working about 13-14 hours on the car in the past two days + driving back and forth I'm getting a little burnt out this week. I still managed to get done what I planned and will continue working on it.

My two goals for today were to get keys cut and finally get the body harness out of the car. I managed to succeed in both despite the fact it took 28 minutes for the guy at Garber to cut three keys. Getting the wiring harness out of the car was rather simple. I only had about two minor hang ups.

The first was the little buttons that push in when you close the door. The driver's side has two wires attached to it and the passenger has one.

I used an eleven mm deep socket to unscrew it and pull the connectors off of the back:

Once I got those off I started trying to feed the whole door wiring through the accordion thing between the front of the door and the body. It wasn't working out too well. Instead I just popped the thing off of the door and pulled it through the body section.

I noticed sifting through all the random parts sitting inside my car that it was built in either June or July of 93. The door says July, but this piece that attaches underneath the steering column has a specific date. Either way my car now has a birthday:

Does anyone know what this wire goes to?

I think its for the rear defrost. I've never used that on any of my cars nor do I think it works on any of them. I can't figure the thing out. If that's what it is it's getting trashed.

The only other problem I had was the little black box for the fuel pump. It has two rivets that hold it in place that you have to drill out. Once they are drilled out you have to crawl under the car to unplug it. The only reason it gave me a problem was that the cordless drill I started using died on me half way through the first rivet. I then had to find the extension air hose, drag it out, connect it, and drill out 1.5 rivets only to then put it all away.

Once that was out though it was easy. All I had to do was unplug the wires that run towards the rear tail lights and hatch popper. Here's the whole thing still in the car:

It's huge.

The car is now officially completely empty. There's absolutely nothing inside of it:

I'm going to take the shifter out and clean it all off soon. It has a lot of nasty crap coated on it.

I still have to pack and unpack everything quite often though. At least the stuff from the front of the car:

I packed up early today and headed home. I did bring the body harness and the top part of the dash that goes over the gauges and steering wheel home with me. I'm going to go start hacking on the wiring harness in my garage. I need to find a really good list of what each wire is. That way I can print it off at my friend's house and not mess things up. I'm still going to head back down there tomorrow and play around with things. I'll probably take the shifter out and clean it off.

I'm almost at the point where I need to buy either my cage + headliner or my K member. If I buy my cage / headliner I can cut more stuff out and put the whole interior of the car back together. If I buy my K member after I cut the front off and paint the engine bay I can fix the freeze plug, fab the turbo system, and put the engine bay back together (if I stick with this engine / trans). I might get a little lucky as were going to try and make a jig of my LS1 tubular k member to reproduce some for ourselves in moly tubing. If that works out it will save me some major money.

EDIT: If anyone has a pinout for a 1993 LT1 body harness it would be greatly appreciated. I can't find anything on it right now and would really like to get started.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 07-02-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Time for me to get back into the work with you. And now that I have me an F-body I can start on figuring out what we need to do to mine in the future. Diiiistant Future. Loving it Ty.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I did bring the body harness and the top part of the dash that goes over the gauges and steering wheel home with me. I'm going to go start hacking on the wiring harness in my garage. I need to find a really good list of what each wire is. That way I can print it off at my friend's house and not mess things up.

EDIT: If anyone has a pinout for a 1993 LT1 body harness it would be greatly appreciated. I can't find anything on it right now and would really like to get started.
I will probably be shadowing you on this one. I need to trim out my wiring as well.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this should be sticky..
Old 07-03-2008, 05:03 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by SSFreak
Time for me to get back into the work with you. And now that I have me an F-body I can start on figuring out what we need to do to mine in the future. Diiiistant Future. Loving it Ty.
I'm kind of at a weird point now. Hence, the reason I didn't head down there to work on the car today. I can't find the information I need and the rest I need to spend money on. You know I'll help you the whole way through with hooking up the new car. You just need to figure out what you want to do with it.

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
I will probably be shadowing you on this one. I need to trim out my wiring as well.
I went all over the place today trying to find a pinout for the body harness and the engine harness that controls the lights and stuff. I couldn't find anything. I went to the dealership and they could only print out certain parts. I went to two librarys and neither turned up anything. The only thing I've found so far is a pinout for the engine harness on speeddensity.org.

Here's that one for anyone who's ever looking for it:

PINOUT for GM PCM/ECM 16159278 (wire color abr. follows descriptions)

Wire Color Legend
B = Black
BL = Blue
BR = Brown
DKBL = Dark Blue
DKG = Dark Green
GY = Gray
LBL = Light Blue
LG = Light Green
O = Orange
P = Purple
PK = Pink
R = Red
T = Tan
W = White
Y = Yellow

Connector [A] is Gray

[A1] Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid DKG/Y (HOT in start and run) 10A
[A2] EGR Solenoid B/PK (HOT in start and run) 10A
[A4] IAC LBL/W
[A5] IAC LG/B
[A6] Check Engine Light BR/W (this grounds when light is on, connect other terminal on light socket to HOT in start and run) 5A
[A7] Air Pump Relay BR
[A8] Air Divert Valve BR (this grounds when active, connect other terminal on valve to HOT in start and run) 10A
[A9] Shift Light W
[A10] IAC LBL/B
[A11] IAC LG/W
[A12] Ignition Coil W (HOT, connect other black wire on coil to ground) 10A
[A13] Coolant Temp Sensor Y
[A20] Fuel Pump ON input R
[A21] Trans Position Switch O/B
[A22] Anti-lock Brake Module GY/B

Connector [b] is Red

[B2] Trans Converter Clutch (Auto) or Overdrive Relay (Manual) T/B (Auto) or DKBL (Manual) (also connects to Pin F on ALDL Connector)
[B3] MAP Sensor B
[B4] Primary Cooling Fan Relay DKG/W
[B5] A/C System DKG/W
[B6] Grounded T (also connects to Pin A on ALDL connector)
[B10] Secondary Cooling Fan Relay DKBL/W
[B14] 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear switches (auto), 4th gear LBL
[B16] Cruise Control System P
[B17] Grounded B/W (jumped to [B6] )
[B18] TPS B
[B19] 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear switches (auto), 3rd gear DKG
[B20] 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear switches (auto), 2nd gear W
[B21] A/C system DKG/Y
[B22] Grounded B/W

Connector [C] is Green

[C1] A/C system DKG
[C2] TPS GY
[C3] PS DKBL
[C5] Distributor/Opti-Spark Module B/R
[C6] HOT at ALL times (jumped to C17) O
[C7] MAP Sensor GY
[C8] Knock Sensor(s) DKBL
[C9] Distributor/Opti-Spark Module B/PK
[C11] A/C Pressure Sensor GY/R
[C12] ECM Power (HOT in start and run) PK/B 3A
[C14] Distributor/Opti-Spark Module P/W
[C15] Oil Temp Sensor DKG
[C17] HOT at ALL times (jumped to C6) O
[C18] Distributor/Opti-Spark Module Y
[C21] MAP Sensor LG
[C22] Manifold Air Temp Sensor T

Connector [D] is Brown

[D1] VSS P
[D4] ALDL and Serial Data Connector T (connects to Pin M on ALDL connector)
[D6] O2 Sensor (left) P
[D7] Fuel Pump Relay DKG/W
[D8] VSS Output DKG/W
[D10] Fuel Injectors 2, 4, 6 & 8 DKG (connect other lead off injectors PK/B to HOT in start and run 10A)
[D11] Fuel Injectors 1, 3, 5 & 7 DKBL (connect other lead off injectors PK/B to HOT in start and run 10A)
[D12] VSS Y
[D15] ALDL and Serial Data Connector T
[D20] ALDL and Serial Data Connector W/B (connects to Pin B on ALDL connector)
[D22] O2 Sensor (right) P

Originally Posted by State69champ
this should be sticky..
I don't know about that one, but I'm trying to keep it as technical as I can.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

****, I wish I was at home I have access to ALLDATA and they have tons of wiring schematics and I have no doubt that the body harness is in there and all pinned out. If you still need it by Aug 3rd.... I can get it to you around that time. I'm on vaca till then though :\
Old 07-03-2008, 05:11 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Formula350
****, I wish I was at home I have access to ALLDATA and they have tons of wiring schematics and I have no doubt that the body harness is in there and all pinned out. If you still need it by Aug 3rd.... I can get it to you around that time. I'm on vaca till then though :\
Thanks for the offer. That's what the guy at the dealership went through and showed me how to use. They don't actually have a pin out for it. They have all the seperate harnesses that you have to put together. That's what I plan on doing this weekend at night when I get home from work. I'm going to try and get on it. Once I'm on I'm going to print / save every one. Then go through the whole thing and write up a pinout for it. That way it can be on the internet some where.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Teching In

I'm kind of at a weird point now. Hence, the reason I didn't head down there to work on the car today. I can't find the information I need and the rest I need to spend money on. You know I'll help you the whole way through with hooking up the new car. You just need to figure out what you want to do with it.

I hear you. Thanks again for any help in the future with our new dream to be. I am at the same point with the money thing right now though. It will be a month or so before I really figure out what to do with it. right now it runs well and is satisfying to a certain degree. The T-tops are sweet and I get alot of attention from the most f#@king hot/beautiful women I have ever seen. It works for me so far!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wasn't aware the dealers used ALLDATA. I know the ones in MN don't, they have something WAY different. And my friend does wiring all the time, so he's printing out diagrams/schematics constantly. I know I've been meaning to look up the one for my stereo amp and then one from a monsoon system to find the differences since I have a monsoon since I have one of those amps laying around that I'd like to swap in for my current factory one. But he's printed out the ECM pinouts for TBI motors, and the one for his dad's 88 Cavalier (or Beretta, which ever, 2.8L either way)

If my friend knew more about computers, I could just tell him to email me them, but he doesn't know how to take screen shots and all that jazz.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:03 AM
On The Tree

Keeep up the good work!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:24 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I hear you. Thanks again for any help in the future with our new dream to be. I am at the same point with the money thing right now though. It will be a month or so before I really figure out what to do with it. right now it runs well and is satisfying to a certain degree. The T-tops are sweet and I get alot of attention from the most f#@king hot/beautiful women I have ever seen. It works for me so far!!!
I found something really interesting for you. I'm going to stop by soon.

Originally Posted by Formula350
I wasn't aware the dealers used ALLDATA. I know the ones in MN don't, they have something WAY different. And my friend does wiring all the time, so he's printing out diagrams/schematics constantly. I know I've been meaning to look up the one for my stereo amp and then one from a monsoon system to find the differences since I have a monsoon since I have one of those amps laying around that I'd like to swap in for my current factory one. But he's printed out the ECM pinouts for TBI motors, and the one for his dad's 88 Cavalier (or Beretta, which ever, 2.8L either way)

If my friend knew more about computers, I could just tell him to email me them, but he doesn't know how to take screen shots and all that jazz.
I worked it all out today. Jason has Alldata at the shop and I printed about 50 pages of diagrams out. It should keep me plenty busy for a while. Thanks for the offer.

Originally Posted by doaberetta
Keeep up the good work!
Thanks, I'm plugging away shortly at it. Little by little I'm getting there. I just wish I had money to buy parts. I'm probably going to go through everything I have now and try to sell off a bunch of extra stuff.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:27 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Yesterday I started hacking on my body harness. I had a few random wiring diagrams and just started pulling. I cut out certain wires that I knew what they were and only those.

I layed the whole thing out in my garage like it went in the car. It made it easy to work on everything.

The only color blind problem I had was this one part where there's about a million orange and green wires right next to each other. That got me really pissed off.

I pulled out the wiring for the power mirrors, front speakers, center console light, and the antenna. I'm going to work on it more tonight.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:42 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I went down there today to ask Jason some questions, get some help with the wiring, and twiddle with the car. While I was down there I discovered that he has Alldata and printed out about a million diagrams and pin outs.

I popped the hood on the car and decided to pull a couple things out while I was at it. I started with the most basic in the front sway bar. I've heard removing it really helps weight transfer and decided it was going in the trash pile. It should also make some more room for the turbo setup.

I also pulled out the stock coolant resevoir as I plan on putting the battery in the hatch area. I'm going to get a new smaller one when I chop the front off and move my radiator / condensor around.

I only have a few things left in the engine bay to remove before I can drop the engine and trans out.

I want to put in a set of these projectors headlights so I can get rid of the front headlight bar.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...991&highlight=
It will also make it a lot easier to put everything back together once I chop the front off the car.

While I was driving home I also hit 150,000 miles on my 95.

Here is my updated weight removal list. I'm getting really close to 300 lbs. I think I should be really close with all the wiring I've removed from the car and the alarm system that was on it.

Front Bumper Support = 25.375 lbs
Fog lights and brackets = 4.0625 lbs
Cruise control, cable, and throttle cable cover = 4.4375 lbs
Air pump and brass fittings = 5.9375 lbs
Stock horns = 1.875 lbs
Stupid siren and loud horn = 2.5 lbs
Stock Y pipe and single cat = 21.1875 lbs
Frame horns = 5.125 lbs
Fender metal = 1.25 lbs
Rear Seatbelts = 4.1375 lbs
Aftermarket Speaker Wiring (will be added to considering there is a ton more of it) = .25 lbs
Carpet = 29.0375 lbs
Windshield washer fluid resevoir with water = 8.0625 lbs
Heat shields beneath the car = 2.1875
Soon to be useless exhaust hangers = 2.00 lbs
Rear Seats = 22.4375 lbs
Random exhaust hangers, brackets, nuts, and bolts = 9.25 lbs
Front Speakers = 2.75 lbs
Rear Speakers = 3.25 lbs
Front Speaker Brackets = 1.25 lbs
Interior brackets including (rear seat brackets, antenna bracket, rear seat belt brackets) = 3.875 lbs
Security System Hood Lock = 2.6875 lbs
Antenna + Wire (not including the actual metal rod) = .25lbs
Stock catback = 50.1875lbs
Rear Armrests = 4.21875lbs
Extra Metal Trimmings = 1.00lbs
Emergency Brake System = 12.125lbs
Door Fiberglass = 1.90625 lbs
Door Crash Bars and Brackets = 17.5625 lbs
Window Regulator Metal = 1.8846535171744791666666666666667 lbs
Driver's Air Bag = 3.625 lbs
Passenger's Air Bag = 9.46875
Heater Core (empty) = 1.03125
AC Tube = .09375
Black Mat = 10.03125 lbs
Airbag Crash Sensors = 1.53125 lbs
Mat That is Underneath the Dash Pad = 2.34375 lbs
Heater Core Hoses = 2.0125 lbs
Front Sway Bar = 15.09375

Grand total to this point = 297.29095 lbs + all the stuff I still have to either cut out or weigh.

I'm going to keep working on the wiring tonight now that I have a whole bunch of diagrams to guide me. I'm also going to head down there tomorrow and mess with a few things on the car.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow, this thread is awesome. subscribing
Old 07-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Teching In

I found something really interesting for you. I'm going to stop by soon.
Kool well you know where I live I am here till around 11 and then I am dead and lights out(asleep).
Old 07-09-2008, 09:37 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by bricez28
wow, this thread is awesome. subscribing
Thanks for the props.

Kool well you know where I live I am here till around 11 and then I am dead and lights out(asleep).
Talk him into it. It makes perfect sense.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:07 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I went down and messed with the wiring some more today. This update is going to be 100% about wiring as I need some help. It's also going to cover my past few days of work.

I'm making really good progress on the body wiring. Here's everything wiring related that I've removed from the car up until the seventh.

I worked on the wiring last night, the eigth quite a bit too and decided to remove quite a bit of things. I removed as much of the airbag wiring as I felt safe removing, the cigarette lighter, the emergency brake indicator, and one other thing I can't remember. Here's all those wires:

I continued working last night and snapped some pictures. Now, I need some help identifying what certain plugs are. If you're 100% sure that's what they are let me know. I can't afford to mess this up.

Random Plug 1:

It's the one at the bottom with the orange plug on it. The fact that it has the same type of wires in it and is taped in the same fashion as the other speaker wires I removed leads me to believe that's what it is.

Random Plug 2 (One on the left):

Random plug 1 runs into this one. I think it is for the radio as it is in the same area as the HVAC controls. It also displays a level of crappy wiring capabilities which leads me to believe this isn't OEM.

Random Plug 3 + 4 + 5:

I have no idea what these are.

I went down to the shop and worked on the wiring again today. I cut out this whole box. We googled it and found out it controls the airbags. I then decided to remove all the remaining wires that go into it.

The only problem I had is that the pink wire that runs out of that eventually splits off into 5 other smaller pink wires. One ran to the fuse box for ignition, two ran into the same plug, one ran into something else, and here's the last one that I'm not sure about.

It runs into the brake pedal switch. That's what has me a little worried. I really don't want to **** this up. I think though that since I cut the pink wire out of the AC box everything else related to it is just to control the airbags. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I hope not. What's the other bluish / purplish wire that plugs into the same thing?

Here's all the crap I removed earlier today:

I found a really good picture on shoebox that has helped me out.

I don't have a horn, don't want an alarm, or hazard lights. I'd like to remove as much of this crap as possible. Can I safely get rid of those or does anything else tie into them?

I'm going to go and try to continue working on this based off of all the wiring diagrams I've printed. I'm also wondering about the Passcode system for the key. Can I just disable the VATS system and remove everything associated with it? If anyone could answer some of my questions or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 11-17-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:47 PM
12 Second Club

Great job so far love the right up can't wait to see the turbo plumbing!! How much boost are you goin' to run?

Quick Reply: My New 1993 Z28 Project