LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My New 1993 Z28 Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carpet soaked in **** weighs significantly more than stock carpet, try 50lbs.

Yeah I definately need some fog lights around here, as long as the chrome reflective surface inside it good I'm good.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

as for the color, it is dark green grey metallic...very rare, my first car was 93 z28 in the same color

nice buy!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

So is it going to be a street car or a race car?
Old 02-07-2008, 07:34 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silver30th
as for the color, it is dark green grey metallic...very rare, my first car was 93 z28 in the same color

nice buy!
Thank you very much for that helpful info. It would have been a lot of work to figure that out otherwise. I forgot to write down the door sticker again today so it would have been at least another week.

Originally Posted by LS1 Eddie
So is it going to be a street car or a race car?
A little bit of both. I guess the reason it looks a little extreme is the fact that it's not going to have a whole lot of power so I'm making up for that by taking weight out of it. Weight reduction is free for the most part. On the other hand mods cost money and I don't have a lot of that. I'd rather spend my extra time working on the car fixing it up than working my job to earn money to buy parts and never get to mess with it. The money I do save from working is going into getting my 98 Formula running again.

Originally Posted by RickyMartinZ28
Carpet soaked in **** weighs significantly more than stock carpet, try 50lbs.

Yeah I definately need some fog lights around here, as long as the chrome reflective surface inside it good I'm good.
Look good? They need to be wiped off / cleaned. I'll take more pics if you'd like. They are in my 95 outside.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:35 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Default 2-7-08 Progress

I really didn't get that much taken off the car today. We were battling rain off and on so that made it difficult. I spent most of the time figuring out how I'm going to make my new bumper support and where to hack off the frame rails. On the way down there I stopped by ace hardware and picked up some aluminum flat bar. Upon starting to measure I realized I needed way more than I bought and headed back. While there I picked up some aluminum angle to cut into Ls to use as brackets.

Engine bay as of Today:

I got the cruise control off yesteday, but didn't grab a picture of it. I also threw the front bumper support on a digital scale in the shop. It ended up weighing 25.6lbs. I was going to throw the other stuff on there to see what it weighed, but I was the last one still working and had to pack up so everyone could go home.

Progress on new bumper support:

I started with 60 inches, but that was no where near enough:

This is all the bar cut to length and my new AIR Block off made out of the old tube. I got plenty of laughs with my small *** trying to hold onto the sawz all cutting those. I gave up and broke out the angle grinder after about 2 cuts and way too many chatter related close calls. Getting pelted by tiny shards of molten aluminum is not fun, but is much better than removing my fingers.

Here's everything cut to length and deburred. I broke out a file to debur them. I'm not too good with power tools so I decided for the safety of everyone around me I shouldn't use the bench grinder.

Here's how I plan on finishing it. It should be really light and work just as well as the old one. I just need to get the foam and some extra aluminum bar.

I looked at the frame rails for a long time trying to decide on where to cut them off. Ultimately, the position shown by the pencil line right inside the dimple was deemed, "The one". We're going to hack them off there and tack weld the radiator shroud a little further back to help maintain it's integrity. I'm undecided on whether or not to take out the horn? I'd don't think I'm going to.

Now that I know there's a scale down at the shop I'm going to weigh everything I've taken off so far and let everyone know the results. I should be back down there next Tuesday to finish the bumper support, hack off the frame rails, and try to pressure wash or blast the engine bay with compressed air.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 02-07-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shoot me a price PM, I'm not looking to spend a bunch...

-Rick
Old 02-07-2008, 09:29 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

QUESTIONS: That have been answered

- I know I can look up the color code, but can anyone tell me what color the car is? I'm blue / purple color blind amongst other things so I can't tell. If anyone could tell me the GM color name I'd greatly appreciate it.
Dark Green Grey Metallic = Thanks silver30th

- Anyone have any pictures of new front bumper supports they made? I'm going to use aluminum slats, but would like to see where you mounted them.
Think I've got it figured out

- I'm going to trim the frame horns down also. How far did you trim yours? I plan on cutting them off right behind the mounts.
Think I've got it figured out

QUESTIONS: That need to be answered

- I'll be getting new carpet. Should I go with the stock light grey color or black? Keep in mind I'll be chaning the front seats to black and getting rid of the rear ones. I also have this color rear panels, http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3...eastartae0.jpg but am missing one so I might switch them out.

- Anyone ever redo a head liner? Have any quick tips? What material did you use?

- I need new hatch struts. If you've ever replaced them where did you get them from cheaply?

- What does everyone think about keeping the horn? I don't know how much it weighs, but it would be easy to take out. I'm undecided...

Shoot me a price PM, I'm not looking to spend a bunch...

-Rick
PM Sent. Negotiable.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Goodluck with the build. that carpet looks like pee wee hermans living room floor! and how much for that shifter handle?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Banned

Default good deal

looks like you will be busy losing weight
Old 02-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
- I need new hatch struts. If you've ever replaced them where did you get them from cheaply?

I got mine from autozone. I don't remember exactly how much but I want to say I paid 20 bucks or so a side.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think I ever got a PM... I could be retarded though, I'm looking into it.

-Rick
Old 02-11-2008, 05:30 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by MIDTOWNSS
Goodluck with the build. that carpet looks like pee wee hermans living room floor! and how much for that shifter handle?
Do you have a stock one? If so I'll trade you the stock one, $5, and shipping? If not $25ish + shipping? I don't know what it's worth.

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
looks like you will be busy losing weight
It is definetly taking some time. I don't have any money to put into making it faster so taking weight out is the only other option.

Originally Posted by My93Z
I got mine from autozone. I don't remember exactly how much but I want to say I paid 20 bucks or so a side.
Thanks, I'll check them out. That's a lot better than I though they were going to be. The only other time I looked at getting new ones were for my old eclipse and they were around $50 each.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:32 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I also got my friend to send me the pictures we took on our trip off of his phone.

Car on trailer:

Car wedged against tree:
Old 02-11-2008, 10:05 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I don't think I ever got a PM... I could be retarded though, I'm looking into it.

-Rick
It says you got it.

Fog Lights
Sent to: RickyMartinZ28 02-07-2008 09:19 PM 02-08-2008 05:26 AM

I'll send it to you again.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Default 2-12-08 Progress

I got to mess with the car today, but was limited by having absolutely no money and rain. I had to pay a speeding ticket I got in the useless state of Georgia yesterday that drained my car funds temporarily. I couldn't buy more aluminum or get the foam to finish the new bumper support, but I did finally get to cutting the frame horns off. I killed the saws all battery twice doing so, but finished it off with the angle grinder.

Engine bay of the Day:

I yanked off some stupid plastic box that goes over by the intake. I also took the horns off to get to the frame rails. I might put them back on. I'm not sure yet.

Driver's side before:

Passenger's side before:

When the battery died on the saws all I broke out the hacksaw and went to work (cutting with that thing sucked). I owe Jason a saw blade too. That thing popped about half way through cutting the driver's side.

Driver's side after:

Passenger's side after:

All the metal I removed. This should be about 3-5lbs?:

We decided it would be better to angle cut them versus cutting straight down then having to weld the radiator support back. I don't think it looks that great because I suck at using a saws all, but once the bumper goes back on you won't be able to tell at all. I'm going to try and clean it up a little with a file when I go back down there.

Eventually I'm going to rig up a trans cooler to mount on there like this. It should clean up the look of things.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I also managed to get a lot of things on the scale. Here's what I got for the weight of certain objects:

Front Bumper Support = 25.375 lbs
Fog lights and brackets = 4.0625 lbs
Cruise control, cable, and throttle cable cover = 4.4375 lbs
Air pump and brass fittings = 5.9375 lbs
Stock horns = 1.875 lbs
Stupid siren and loud horn = 2.5 lbs
Stock Y pipe and single cat = 21.1875 lbs
Frame horns = Didn't get to weigh yet

Overall I've taken out 44.1875 lbs + what ever the metal I cut off the frame rails weigh. Overall I'm hoping to get out around 50+lbs from under the hood. I have to put my new bumper support on, but I still have to add the frame metal, wiring, and what ever the weight difference between a stock exhaust manifold and a Hooker shorty is.

I chopped my cat off and sold it for $55. It worked out perfectly because I needed the money and I'll be going with true duals so I don't need it any way. Hopefully I can go back Friday. I was planning on Thursday, but then my dad reminded me it was Valentine's day . Hopefully I'll be able to mess with it Friday. I want to get the frame rails cleaned up a little and finish my new bumper support. After that all I'll have to do under the hood (!weight wise) is pull the wiring for the things I took out and put my EGR / AIR plug into the back of the intake.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

hey bro long time congrats on the car hows fl you lucky SOB? I'm stuck here at ft.lewis,wa. tell evryone hello.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:07 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by BLACKSHARK
hey bro long time congrats on the car hows fl you lucky SOB? I'm stuck here at ft.lewis,wa. tell evryone hello.
It's been pretty much the same as always. Glad to see you made it back from the sand trap. Get your car fixed yet? You ever headed back this way?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:58 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Default 2-19-08 Progress

I got to head down to Jason's and mess with the car again today. My preconceived goals for today were to go nutso with holesaw and take out the useless wiring, but it was nice and sunny out today so plans changed a little. Instead I broke out the pressure washer and the degreaser and got to work on the engine bay. It worked out perfectly without the opti in there and looks a ton better.

Before:

After:

Notice the extreme lack of mud and oil:

I knew doing this would be counterproductive to the rest of my progress because I just soaked the ground so I decided to start on removing the stock passenger side exhaust manifold. I have to say I am really glad that I have skinny arms. I have no idea how the hell anyone would do this otherwise. Granted I did it all from the top, but still. Those middle bolts would be really hard to get from the bottom. Once I finally got it unbolted I was pretty excited to say the least. Then, I noticed the 02 sensor was still screwed in. I tried to unscrew it, but couldn't get a wrench on it. After a quick reference Jason said, "Just unplug the thing. It's only a single connector," and it was done. Click, off. Now, I thought I was done, but the stupid ******* thing wouldn't come out. I tried pulling it out of the top and pushing it out of the bottom, but it wouldn't budge. It fealt like it was hitting on something, but I couldn't see what it was hitting. I ended up having to blindly disconnect the dipstick and bend it out of the way to get it out.

Yes, it's finally gone! This will make getting to that freeze plug a lot easier also.

The last thing I did was throw the chucks of metal I cut off the frame horns on the scale. I was pleasantly suprised to see that they weighed 5.125 pounds total. That breaks my 50lb goal easily. I still have to see the difference in the weight of the stock and hooker shorty. Along with how much my new bumper support is going to weigh, but I still have good old mr. holesaw to break out too.

On Thursday I'm going to try and get the block off plates finished up and welded, finish my new front bumper support, and cut out all the extraneous wiring. I'm probably going to head down on Friday too with my friend and mess with it.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:42 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Default 2-21-08 Progress

I headed down to Jason's today to continue working. I stopped off at ACE hardware and picked up the last bit of aluminum to finish the bumper support and a 11/16 holesaw. My goal today was to get the fenders swiss cheesed, but it absolutely started pouring out. I still tried to work, but with constant problems with the 2-5/8ths holesaw and drill bits I gave up after a while.

Pictures:

Fender = Gone. What it looked like before I started. Anyone know what that hole is there for?

Crap!

What it looked like when I decided to redesign my cutting. I'm going to stop using the holesaws and use an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. It's going to be six inch strips and then a one inch gap. It should be much lighter and more importantly easier to cut. You can see some of the marks I drew out on the fenders in this picture towards the front of the car. You can also notice how I was standing in about an inch and a half of water by looking at the tire:

It started raining about 1:30 and was still pouring when I left at 5:30. I decided not to drag the angle grinder out there. I didn't think it would be too bright to be working with an electric power tool while standing in a huge puddle of water.

I'm going to head down tomorrow with my friend. I will get those fenders finished tomorrow even if it rains. With two of us we should be working at about the speed of one normal person...

I also found an old SBC square port mid length header that I'm going to mock up. It looks like it would work rather well as a turbo header. I tested it out really quick with the hooker shorty in and one primary hit the steering shaft and the abs brake block, but I think I can reroute it. I'm going to pull the hooker shorty off of that side at some point to change the plugs out and get header bolts that match on both sides. If it seems feasible I'm going to buy a D port header flange off of ebay and start working on it. Anyone know of a 93 stock ECM turbo car?

Quick Reply: My New 1993 Z28 Project