LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thinking about dumping the Camaro for a Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOLO
Out of all the C4, I would look into the Grandsport edition--
LT4(330hp),17x11with315/35's,17x9.5with275/40's from the factory. Limited #'s made(a collectors).Just my 2 cents.
^^ that's what you should get.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Toronto_LT1
^^ that's what you should get.
But the Grand Sport Corvette is only 330HP!

I exhibit more torque trying to direct the morning wood from pissing on the toilet seat in the morning! LOL

Im looking for the cheapest most mechanically messed up POS I can find. (With a clean body of course).
Old 02-10-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 94 c4 w/ a 6 speed and dana 44. Plan on a long life of fixing broken interior stuff if you get one. If you're like me, at some point you'll go crazy and rip out the interior and the leaking heater core and then your problems are solved....except for the opti. Then you've got a perfect platform for a roadracer and drag car up to a certain point. You'll want to get a 6 point cage to stiffen it up. I think I'll be at about 2800 lbs when I'm done with mine.

A c5 frc or z06 is well worth the additional money by the time you look at what you've spent for equal performance.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

I have my eye out. Have to make this happen before the weather breaks here otherwise the prices will go up come spring/summer. I dont plan to drag the Vette. I have other vehicles for that obsession. I just want to feel like one of them ****** driving a vette for some reason! LOL Im just kidding
Old 02-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Teching In

i can feel the love for c4s around here i have one and can't complain. no interior problems. no problems with the opti since i got the delteq 2 yrs ago. the only complaint is the lack of traction. just buy the newest and best condition c4 you can afford and you won't regret it. i would get the zf6 with the dana44.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Teching In

I've had both. I liked both for what they were/are. So far my 96 vette has been trouble free and alot of fun. LT4 coupes are selling for peanuts right now.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CALL911
You sir, are an idiot.
BAHHHHHHHhh lmfao
man idk why but i almost died laughing when i read this

ROFL
Old 02-10-2008, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Wow, I didn't realize the c4 provoked so much hate around here. Personally, I actually prefer the c4 styling (91-96 of course) to that of the c5 but neither hold a candle to a c6. And (yes, I will probably get death threats for this one) I think LT1 f-bodies are hideously ugly. They look like catfish to me. That being said, it is true that you can get a rough running c4 in the neighborhood of 7000 dollars for some of the later one while the early ones can be had even cheaper so if you got the cash and like the car, I say go for it.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Unless you have to have the LT1 spend just a bit more and get a C5. I've driven a couple different C4's and the ergonomics just plain suck compared to the C5. I'm thinking about getting a C4 with a bad motor to build a track car, but that's only because I have a perfectly good forged 383 stroker in the garage making close to 475 hp and as much torque. If I decide to part with my F-body I'm definitely looking for a C5. You can find higher mileage C5's all day long in the mid-teens.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven both and the C5 has a much nicer ride. Not as many rattles too.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

Maybe i should quantify broken stuff here. My '94 has 125k miles on it and I bought it for $8500 thinking I was getting a "deal". It was a one owner from florida...but he must have had it serviced by complete hacks.

Interior: Broken bose stereo ate a cd. 8 hours of hell to replace the heater core. ac didn't work. heater only ran on high and the defroster position didn't work. broken latch on center console arm cushion. broken hinges on ashtray cover. the steering column adjustment breaks and it flops up and down some on all of them. passenger seat slide frozen. drivers side 1/2 worked...so it would go diagonal. the e-brake handle broke. the switch on the back of drivers seat had a broken bezel. the rear plastic was cracked. the defroster on the rear window shorted out and smelled like smoke. vacuum booster 1 and 2 failed. The lights didn't work on the passenger side visor. both visors had droopy side flaps from broken cardboard inside. nicely cross threaded targa top bolt on one corner. The switch that controls the "command center" had a broken switch. Anti-theft system screwed up every 3 months and would keep the car from starting for a day each time.

now for the exterior: suspension bushings, radiator, hoses, brakes, opti, maf, headlight motors, fuel pump, rear wheel bearings are a issue, dual mass flywheel begins to have problems, clutch, shifter replaced, c beam plates, cags eliminator.

The car is was an absolute ***** to work on and I remember every single minute of it. GM reduced the build time from c4 to c5 from 24 hours to 18 hours (or something along those lines) because it was DESIGNED to bolt together. Gutting my car and selling off the interior bits on ebay for $2500 and buying the cage, column, and other race stuff was the smartest thing I ever did. Swear to God if a Corvette Resto *** ever gives me **** for destroying a "classic collectible" Corvette, I punch his teeth out and kick him in the bag.

Don't buy a c4 if you plan to put miles on it. I'm in too deep now to go back and ultimately fixing it right the first time means I won't have to start all over again on a new car.

Good luck with your purchase
Old 02-11-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

also forgot the broken hood latch and the time I had to spend 6 hours trying to contort and figure out how to get the hood open from underneath the wheelwell. best to dislocate your shoulder ahead of time to accomplish that one
Old 02-11-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My dad's had the Broken bezels on the backs of the seats. We went to the Chevy Dealer, 20 bucks for the pair. Everything works great on ours. I am a small guy so I think it is comfy and cool. My dad on the other hand is 6'2" and his head touches the roof. I am 5' 11'' and its a perfect fit for me. We had to put the Delteq on it but we had that coming. Our CD player doesn't work, but who cares, I'm listening to the motor. It does creak and rattle a lot but that is the price you pay for how well these things handle. I like the C5's but I think the C4's are easier to work on and IMO handle just as good if not better. All I can say is avoid the FX3 selectable suspension. Many guys in the local car club have it and hate it because the shocks are really expensive and many don't see a lot of benefit from it. Buy one with lower miles and you are less likely to have problems.

Quick Reply: Thinking about dumping the Camaro for a Corvette