LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

OPTI replacement write-up

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
can you get the crank pulley off without using a puller?
maybe if youre really really strong.. i wasn't able to and i'm not the smallest guy around..
Old 04-09-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool write up
Old 04-09-2008, 03:26 AM
On The Tree

I just took my opti out twice this week and this is the fastest way that I found.
1) Drain coolant via the plug on the rad. and the driver side of the block.
2)Disconnected and remove CAI/air intake piping .
3)After coolant has drained remove hoses from pump.
4)Remove the fans (if you take the hose off the dr.side of the rad. it makes it easier to get them out) this will make things easier on you.
5)Removed serp. belt .
6)Take the upper bolt out of the powersteering pump and take the lower bolt out half way just so you can move it out of the way of the short WP bolt on the passenger side .
7)Remove waterpump.
8)Remove the balancer.
9)Remove opti.
For install just reverse.
I would recommend numbering the spark plug wires for quick install and now is a good time to replace the water pump spine shaft seal (if it leaks it will kill your new opti) in the timing cover and if you soak the new seal in oil and slide it on to a 1/2" 1/4" drive deep socket and put the socket on the shaft coming out of the cover it will help you install the new seal in to the cover with out tearing it . You might want to check the other seals while you are in there.The socket for the dis.cap is a E4 torx and the rotor screws are t8 torx and most auto parts stores sell them.

The best way I found to bleed the coolant is to fill the radiator before you start it then once you start it leave the cap off and turn on the heat in your car, maintain the coolant level and once you get heat coming out of you vents then put the cap on the radiator and crack the bleeders a few times to get out any air that might be in there. If your fans pop on and your temp gauge is at its normal operating temp then you are done.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:39 AM
On The Tree

I am not trying to hi-jack this thread (really I am not) but the reason I am having all of these optispark troubles is because about 7 months ago I put a Accel optispark II on my motor after a rebuild and it died on my 2 weeks ago so for the sake of getting my only car back on the road i bought a rebuilt opti from a local parts store and it lasted a hole week (you bet your *** I got my money back) ,so now I have a brand new AC Delco on my TA . If I can get just one point across it is this , DONT BUY A ACCEL OPTI THEY ARE JUNK, maybe the MSD but unless you need to play with your timing 5 degrees either way then I dont think that its worth $500.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

i dont see why you would need to remove the fans and power steering pump bolts.. my way seems a lot easier.. but to each his own. the Accel isn't a bad unit.. A buddy of mine has had it on his car for about 2 and a half years now with no problems at all.. It seems like you had bad luck with it.. i wouldnt call the unit junk though.. plenty of people running 'em without a problem. if they had one for the 93 (which i think they do) i'd buy it.. but yeah reman opti FTL...
Old 04-09-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chavez885
cool write up
Thanks. i dont see why the mods wont make it a sticky though
Old 04-10-2008, 04:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1badzee
i dont see why you would need to remove the fans and power steering pump bolts.. my way seems a lot easier.. but to each his own. the Accel isn't a bad unit.. A buddy of mine has had it on his car for about 2 and a half years now with no problems at all.. It seems like you had bad luck with it.. i wouldnt call the unit junk though.. plenty of people running 'em without a problem. if they had one for the 93 (which i think they do) i'd buy it.. but yeah reman opti FTL...
I removed the fans because three bolts and the fans are out and you have more room to work. And the powersteering pulley was in the way of the short bolt on the passenger side of the WP , so I took the top bolt out of the PS pump and the bottom one about halfway to move it a little.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also, for those that are gonna do this swap... don't forget to get some water pump gaskets... i ordered my parts for everything that i'm gonna do this weekend and had to go back and order the gaskets separate because i forgot them the first time...
Old 04-15-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mtperformance
I removed the fans because three bolts and the fans are out and you have more room to work. And the powersteering pulley was in the way of the short bolt on the passenger side of the WP , so I took the top bolt out of the PS pump and the bottom one about halfway to move it a little.
I see your point but im just saying it could be done without doing those things.. actually now that i remember, i did have to remove the fans lol.. but not the power steering pulley.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmm... this looks familiar...
..I think I jsut got JUKED! LOL

http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/93-97-...emove-replace/
Old 09-05-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hahah, point made... Looks like it found its way somewhere else.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

he should either revise it or give me the credit
Old 07-17-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

I know this is an old thread, but does the op still have pics for this? theyve been deleted
Old 07-17-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

It was moved here..

http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/93-97-...emove-replace/
Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

i just replaced my opti fail with an accel wish i read this first. It really wasnt that bad of a job though.

Quick Reply: OPTI replacement write-up