LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stock Car - Weight Reduction Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Car - Weight Reduction Question

I have a '93 Z28 with 135k miles on it. I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I could either sell it and get like $3 or a little more for it to put in to my TA, or I could keep it and DD it (I probably wouldn't do that a whole lot though, so it wouldn't really be daily driven), or I could turn it in to some sort of veeery budget track car. I'm not sure what to do.

If I did the third option though I would definitely be starting with weight reduction because its so cheap . Free in other words. Being a car that would be possibly trailered to the track and not driven on the street at all I could take a lot out of it. I just took a quick look at the stuff on the weight reduction list over in the drag tech forum and just from the stuff they have listen I could take out about 440lbs. Now if I were to leave the car completely stock, take out that 440lbs, have very little gas in it, and have me in it (~150lbs), what kind of times would you guess my baseline starting out times would be? Would I be in the mid 13's or anywhere close?

What do you think? Thanks

PS, it's a hardtop car btw.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

It really depends on the condition, how well it is running etc.

If it's still solid then yeah I would say mid-13s might be about right.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:31 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds pretty much exactly what I'm doing with my 93. I'm not going as extreme as the weight reduction list, but I am going to take a **** ton of stuff out of it.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I saw your threads about that. The funny thing is, I got this car for cheap too, and it's the same color as the one you got . How many miles are on that one that you got? Does it still run well and stuff (I didn't read through it too carefully)? I think your idea is actually pretty interesting, and I have been thinking about doing that same thing with mine, and you've just inspired me a bit more to actually do it....
Old 02-16-2008, 04:52 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
Yeah I saw your threads about that. The funny thing is, I got this car for cheap too, and it's the same color as the one you got . How many miles are on that one that you got? Does it still run well and stuff (I didn't read through it too carefully)? I think your idea is actually pretty interesting, and I have been thinking about doing that same thing with mine, and you've just inspired me a bit more to actually do it....
It has 118k miles. I'll be taking a ton of weight out of it except for the ac (It's hot as hell down here pretty much all year) and power steering. Then I'll be throwing a 150 shot on it and let her rip at the track. I'm hoping for 12.XX s. The way I got it the radiator, condensor, waterpump, and opti were off of it. It needs to have a freeze plug replaced, but I the guy I got it from gave me a ton of parts to fix it and then some. If you don't mind working on your car and have the time I say go for it.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Don't mind working on it? Hah, that's the main reason I would keep it is to work on it and fix it up . haha. The only thing I wonder with the '93 is if I do anything to it tuning might be a pain...
Old 02-17-2008, 10:46 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
Don't mind working on it? Hah, that's the main reason I would keep it is to work on it and fix it up . haha. The only thing I wonder with the '93 is if I do anything to it tuning might be a pain...
I still have to figure out that problem. I think I'm going to buy tunercats (not that expensive) and the appropriate gear to start off with. Then once I get some money to spend on it buy a BS3 or FAST XFI setup.

Quick Reply: Stock Car - Weight Reduction Question