LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wow Wtf!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a timing light and put the lead on the coil wire just like you would a spark plug wire, hold the trigger while you crank...you should have a constant light if the coil is working and no light at all if it is not working. I would say either the coil is bad or the ignitio module mounted on the coil bracket.

Try replacing one or both of those before replacing the opti, eisier to get to and much cheaper.

This is all supposing that the engine "IS" cranking and not trying to crank. The engine has to be really cranking ot get enough spark, just barely turning would not start it.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with mine. I thought at first it might be a battery or a fuel problem. After a while I finally realized that it was a wiring problem, they were fried. I would keep trouble shooting a little bit, then look into that. It is a pain in the ***, that is for sure. If you do end up having to change the wires, you might as well change the plugs while you are at it, just so you don't have to do it later.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Launching!

i say it the coil or icm.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
I had the same problem with mine. I thought at first it might be a battery or a fuel problem. After a while I finally realized that it was a wiring problem, they were fried. I would keep trouble shooting a little bit, then look into that. It is a pain in the ***, that is for sure. If you do end up having to change the wires, you might as well change the plugs while you are at it, just so you don't have to do it later.
Plugs have about 100 miles on them. 0 of them work. Replaced just before winter! The plugs AND the wires were replaced at the same time.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
Get a timing light and put the lead on the coil wire just like you would a spark plug wire, hold the trigger while you crank...you should have a constant light if the coil is working and no light at all if it is not working. I would say either the coil is bad or the ignitio module mounted on the coil bracket.

Try replacing one or both of those before replacing the opti, eisier to get to and much cheaper.

This is all supposing that the engine "IS" cranking and not trying to crank. The engine has to be really cranking ot get enough spark, just barely turning would not start it.

I will def. have to try that man.

So tomorrow I'll go to Sears and pick up a Craftsman inductive timing light for like 50 bucks just to test it out.

Last edited by blind527; 02-24-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blind527
I will def. have to try that man.

So tomorrow I'll go to Sears and pick up a Craftsman inductive timing light for like 50 bucks just to test it out.
May also try a cheap one like Harbor Freight unless you will use it alot.

If you dont get a light it either your coil or ignition module and if you do then the opti is most likely the problem...although it doesnt sound like an opti problem to me. Hope this helps you find your problem.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
May also try a cheap one like Harbor Freight unless you will use it alot.

If you dont get a light it either your coil or ignition module and if you do then the opti is most likely the problem...although it doesnt sound like an opti problem to me. Hope this helps you find your problem.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I am officially an idiot. So I got a timing light, and went to clamp the lead on the coil wire, and I noticed the coil wire was unplugged. GAH. I know I thought I checked the coil wires and everything, but I guess I completely bypassed it. You guys can call me and idiot if you want haha.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

getting spark off the coil? maybe it is bad if your battery good. There's that Ignition control module that is mounted underneat/behind the coil too.. that could be crapped out.

EDIT : haha.. ^^ posted this before noticing the other two pages in this thread.. haha.. only saw page one.. ooops.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blind527
So I am officially an idiot. So I got a timing light, and went to clamp the lead on the coil wire, and I noticed the coil wire was unplugged. GAH. I know I thought I checked the coil wires and everything, but I guess I completely bypassed it. You guys can call me and idiot if you want haha.
So this was the problem? Did you plug it in? Does the car start?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, this was the problem. ****** thing started right up
Old 02-25-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha, no need for name calling, silly mistakes happen. Maybe sometimes more to LT1 owners than anyone but they do happen! Lets see pics!!

Quick Reply: Wow Wtf!