LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam choice-stock heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam choice-stock heads

Ok to start off I have read the sticky and did a search but cant seem to make up my mind on which i should really go with, so heres what i have so far....

Ok so i pretty much have things picked out that i want to add to the motor other than valve springs and cam.

1.6 rockers and ewp are on the car, to that im adding pacesetter lts, different catback, prolly true dual, progear timing set, march underdrive pulley set and either a ported stocker tb or a 52mm unit. The car is going to see about 4k miles a year but with 3-5 trips to the track each month and i want to try out some autocross with it. As I said before id like a good midrange but a good idle, nothing to choppy where it feels like it will die but a good strong lope isnt a problem. I did research on the crane 227 and it seems like people are happy with it, good low and midrange power and pulls good up to 6k. So it sounds like what id want but it looks to be one of the smaller cams and i dont want to settle for it if i can make more overall power with a diff cam with only a slight trade off with less low end power. Also valve springs, heard comps been having quality control problems so need a good alternative to they're beehive springs. Long read but hope you can give some incite on whats a good choice for my goals.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

try this comp cams program its been helpful for some friends of mine. there is a free download for it at the bottom of the screen.

http://compcams.com/camquest/default.asp
Old 03-04-2008, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MadMike 97 Z28
try this comp cams program its been helpful for some friends of mine. there is a free download for it at the bottom of the screen.

http://compcams.com/camquest/default.asp
That program is really cool. I'm playing with it right now. All I need to know is what my total air induction airflow is.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tspence45
That program is really cool. I'm playing with it right now. All I need to know is what my total air induction airflow is.
thats stuff for predicted power and torque which isn't acurate just fill in the application and short block section for cam suggestions. trust me i tried to get the predicted power but it doesn't work.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

thats stuff for predicted power and torque which isn't acurate just fill in the application and short block section for cam suggestions. trust me i tried to get the predicted power but it doesn't work.
lol. Yeah, I was doing all that stuff, just to see what cam would give me the best power gains. I just put the lowest CFM choice it had. It's saying that the cam that will give me the most power will only put me at around 310rwhp, but around 460-470 lbft of torque. It is telling me that this cam will give me the most power, with my stock heads. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...t=cca-07-465-8. I'd never seen that cam before.

Edit: Nevermind. I changed the type of cam I was looking for to "Overall street performance with mild-rough lope." And it put me back into my predicament of choosing cams. I'm still stuck between the CC503 and CC305(112 LSA).

Last edited by tspence45; 03-04-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:20 AM
TECH Regular

lol. Yeah, I was doing all that stuff, just to see what cam would give me the best power gains. I just put the lowest CFM choice it had. It's saying that the cam that will give me the most power will only put me at around 310rwhp, but around 460-470 lbft of torque. It is telling me that this cam will give me the most power, with my stock heads. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...t=cca-07-465-8. I'd never seen that cam before.

Edit: Nevermind. I changed the type of cam I was looking for to "Overall street performance with mild-rough lope." And it put me back into my predicament of choosing cams. I'm still stuck between the CC503 and CC305(112 LSA).
i have heard good stuff about the cc503 but i think the cc305 is too small
Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Verz
Ok to start off I have read the sticky and did a search but cant seem to make up my mind on which i should really go with, so heres what i have so far....

Ok so i pretty much have things picked out that i want to add to the motor other than valve springs and cam.

1.6 rockers and ewp are on the car, to that im adding pacesetter lts, different catback, prolly true dual, progear timing set, march underdrive pulley set and either a ported stocker tb or a 52mm unit. The car is going to see about 4k miles a year but with 3-5 trips to the track each month and i want to try out some autocross with it. As I said before id like a good midrange but a good idle, nothing to choppy where it feels like it will die but a good strong lope isnt a problem. I did research on the crane 227 and it seems like people are happy with it, good low and midrange power and pulls good up to 6k. So it sounds like what id want but it looks to be one of the smaller cams and i dont want to settle for it if i can make more overall power with a diff cam with only a slight trade off with less low end power. Also valve springs, heard comps been having quality control problems so need a good alternative to they're beehive springs. Long read but hope you can give some incite on whats a good choice for my goals.
Well, If you are that concerned about using a cam that matches that well see if you can find someone to grind a custom cam for just your application. Almost any cam company will do this and it isn't much more than off the shelf cams.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

If your gonna autocross I would think the Crane 227 (210/224) would be a good choice because of the strong bottom end and mid range. Just because its small in duration doesn't mean it wont perform. Maybe check out the AI 218/226 cam, its a little bit bigger and may be towards the size of what your looking for. Its very similar to the lt4 hot cam but much better, said to make another 15ft./lbs of torque.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

i have heard good stuff about the cc503 but i think the cc305 is too small
The only thing that turns me off about the CC503 is that it needs to be revved higher than the CC305, to get its peak performance. And revving passed 6,000rpm on stock internals scares me a little. I guess I should be fine as long as I get some pretty good valve springs, lifters, and pushrods though, right? And how do I find out the max lift of valve springs? I was looking on Summit for some new springs once I get some RR's, and none of them had listed what their max lift was.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

The only thing that turns me off about the CC503 is that it needs to be revved higher than the CC305, to get its peak performance. And revving passed 6,000rpm on stock internals scares me a little. I guess I should be fine as long as I get some pretty good valve springs, lifters, and pushrods though, right? And how do I find out the max lift of valve springs? I was looking on Summit for some new springs once I get some RR's, and none of them had listed what their max lift was.
If I was you I wouldn't worry about shifting past 6000rpm. I believe that up to 6300 is safe without any worries and if you had the cc503 and shifted at 6300 the car would most definetly run like a ****. I was trapping over 110mph through an automatic shifting at only 6000-6100 with the cc503. The more aggressive lobes of the cc503 are better than the older magnum lobes of the cc305 which partly is why it makes more power than the 305. Sorry cant answer your spring question. I have the Crane 10308-1 kit and they are good up to a .600" lift fyi. If you want part numbers for all the valvetrain stuff you will need shoot me a PM, Lloyd Elliot was kind enough to supply me with them.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
If I was you I wouldn't worry about shifting past 6000rpm. I believe that up to 6300 is safe without any worries and if you had the cc503 and shifted at 6300 the car would most definetly run like a ****. I was trapping over 110mph through an automatic shifting at only 6000-6100 with the cc503. The more aggressive lobes of the cc503 are better than the older magnum lobes of the cc305 which partly is why it makes more power than the 305. Sorry cant answer your spring question. I have the Crane 10308-1 kit and they are good up to a .600" lift fyi. If you want part numbers for all the valvetrain stuff you will need shoot me a PM, Lloyd Elliot was kind enough to supply me with them.
That kit would probably be good enough. Because, with 1.6rr's, a CC503 is only .537/.544. Even if I decided to go with the 1.7's I was looking at, I wouldn't have a problem with going over .600 for lift. Did the Crane spring kt you bought, come with the locks and retainers too?
Old 03-04-2008, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

That kit would probably be good enough. Because, with 1.6rr's, a CC503 is only .537/.544. Even if I decided to go with the 1.7's I was looking at, I wouldn't have a problem with going over .600 for lift. Did the Crane spring kt you bought, come with the locks and retainers too?
yes it did

Quick Reply: Cam choice-stock heads