LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I Hate Ls1's

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
I don't see how you made my arguement "look bad" there. You have just a few things off in your info.

Record is 10.86@122 not 10.6 (guess you missed that "8" in there). Set by a guy in SC just 5 minutes from my GFs parents house. Absolutely awesome! Hope I get to see him run up there soon.
Second his raceweight was 2800 lbs (car itself weighs in at just over 2600 lbs), with Shon's car weighing in at 3150 as I recall. Practically the same weight? Guess that means A GT500 convertible is just a wee bit heavier than a C6 Z06 right?

Look I did not get on here to get pulled into another retarded LT1 vs LS1 debate. Gonna put add an LS1 M6 to my collection of cars probably sometime late this year. I simply stated IF you are going to compare the two, at LEAST compare them tranny vs tranny. And again, the M6 LS1 SI record is 11.4@119 still better than 11.8@114. There done nuff said

Uh if you want to be a bench racing ricer...

Mod for mod and weight for a weight a LS1 car should and could still go faster given the same setups etc
Old 03-17-2008, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got LTs, 3.73s, a hypertech programmer (just because of the gears) and i ran a 13.71 @ 100.42

(on cold plugs)
Old 03-17-2008, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

was that in an auto or m6?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slick1851
Uh if you want to be a bench racing ricer...

Mod for mod and weight for a weight a LS1 car should and could still go faster given the same setups etc
Wow genius, where exactly did I say they wouldn't?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:19 AM
11 Second Club

I don't see how you made my arguement "look bad" there. You have just a few things off in your info.

Record is 10.86@122 not 10.6 (guess you missed that "8" in there). Set by a guy in SC just 5 minutes from my GFs parents house. Absolutely awesome! Hope I get to see him run up there soon.
Here is a link to a very recent thread where they announced the new stock internal record of 10.68 @ 122.91 from the drag racing results section.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-results/879218-new-stock-internals-record-10-685-122-91-a.html

Second his raceweight was 2800 lbs (car itself weighs in at just over 2600 lbs), with Shon's car weighing in at 3150 as I recall. Practically the same weight? Guess that means A GT500 convertible is just a wee bit heavier than a C6 Z06 right?
Here are my sources on the raceweight. Now if either party lied then I can not be held responsible for that. But I doubt that is the case.

Originally Posted by RUQWIKR
Rundown of the car and combo:

DA on first run was a great -1006', 2nd run was -450'

Raceweight was 3060#...70# lighter than with the big motor with wheelie bars, weight bar, and bigger battery. Car has fully certified cage with extra dash & rocker bars, etc. Thanks to Mike Brink at Brink Racecraft!

Fast 90/90 with 85mm MAF with Kook's 1-7/8"-to-2" stepped headers with 3.5" Burns Stainless mufflers

Rossler T400 with ATI 8" MRT converter

Dynotech MMC driveshaft

Strange brakes and master cylinder

Strange 12-bolt with 4.56's with Hoosier 30x9 radial slicks (old 10.866 record was run with 3.73's on 26" tires).

Dave
It's from the same thread I quoted above. First post past some pics.

Now my source for Shon Herrons raceweight:

http://www.herronperformance.com/html/shop_car.html

The last sentence of the first paragraph says it all. This is coming from Herron performance and I think they would know.

The list of mods are normal for the LT1s and the race weight was around 3100#s.

Look I did not get on here to get pulled into another retarded LT1 vs LS1 debate. Gonna put add an LS1 M6 to my collection of cars probably sometime late this year. I simply stated IF you are going to compare the two, at LEAST compare them tranny vs tranny. And again, the M6 LS1 SI record is 11.4@119 still better than 11.8@114. There done nuff said
So then what is the automatic LT1 stock internal bolt on record? I searched but I couldn't find it. You know why? Because no one cares to record it when it's not breaking the actual stock internal record.

Likewise I did a search for the fastest stock internal M6 LS1 and got nothing concrete. I know the fastest stock internal M6 LS1 on ls1techs ET database is 11.4 but that does not mean it's the fastest stock internal M6 pass ever made. It might be but someone else may have gone faster. Because just like the auto LT1 no one cares to record it when it's not breaking the actual stock internal record.

Let me now say for the record that Shon Herron and RUQWIKR (Dave) deserve a lot of respect for the time, effort and fantastic results each obtained when they set thier platforms stock internal records.

Apples to apples
Old 03-18-2008, 06:39 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by darrensls1
The head design was by far the biggest advantage power wise. But I also liked the improved ignition system and the aluminum blocks. We even have had stock bottom end LS1's break into the 9's NA. And of course the world record being 6.86 @ 205 shows how impressive this engine design really is. I'm not saying LS1's are the best motor out there but they were certainly a great engine design with more potential then what the LT1 had. Hence why GM replaced the LT1 with the LS1.

Right now my car is still in storage and with a busted tranny. Once it comes out of storage it's heading over to New Era Performance where it'll be getting ETP 215 heads (ironically an 11 degree head also), streetsweeper cam, Fast 92 intake, underdrive pulley, 150 wet kit and a performabuilt stage 3 4L60E. The order has a ton more stuff but that's all the power adding crap. I'll also be doing some weight reduction.

This combo is supposed to be good for high 9's and should see around 600 rwhp on spray. It's a lot for the stock shortblock but I figure WTF. Run the **** out of it till it blows and then look at forged shortblocks from LME or SDPC or some other reputable builder.

Point is that should make us a real good race if the time in your sig is current and accurate.
You definately have the right attitude man and that has made this exchange enjoyable for me. Drive it like you stole it. That's a good parts combo you are putting together and should be very potent. One of the things that has always created a bit of LS1 envy (at least in me anyway) is how easy it is to get them to bottom 10's with just H/C and a little power adder. It really shows the efficiency of the design.

P.S. The time in my sig is all motor. It's setup for a 330 nitrous hit. I'll let you do the math.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by N20Dave
You definately have the right attitude man and that has made this exchange enjoyable for me. Drive it like you stole it. That's a good parts combo you are putting together and should be very potent. One of the things that has always created a bit of LS1 envy (at least in me anyway) is how easy it is to get them to bottom 10's with just H/C and a little power adder. It really shows the efficiency of the design.

P.S. The time in my sig is all motor. It's setup for a 330 nitrous hit. I'll let you do the math.

That's awesome! Rock that bitch into the 8's

Very nice car and very nice times
Old 03-18-2008, 06:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97badass
thanks for clearing that up for me. ive always wondered how that would work but since so many people were saying it i figured it must be true.
But it is true to a degree (lol). Many chip manufactures will sell a t-stat with the chip because timing has been altered. It wont throw a code but the cooler temps will cause the computer to be unable to reach its target temperature. While performance would not be considered to be adversely effected the advantage of a cooler running engine is a little more timing, so you are missing out in actuality. You are best to do as your planaing and have it re-programed when the cam and igntion get installed. That way you dont have to do it twice. And yes they do ask you what temp t-stat your running.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:04 AM
10 Second Club

That's awesome! Rock that bitch into the 8's

Very nice car and very nice times
Chassis shop is making a set of wheelie bars for it right now. Thank you and good luck in the future with your project.

FWIW, you said 600 rwhp to get into the high 9's. I am making 626 at the wheels on motor and went 9.98 with more left in it. If you make 600, you should be right there.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

jesus dave your car is sick...

OP, I felt your pain man.. I bought a bone stock 94Z A4 with 2.73 gears and it went 14.2 @98mph.. It was slow to say the least..

I spent alot of money and time to get it to run with mild bolt-on LS1 cars.. It was very aggravating. After i went through yet another tranny, I sold my 94 and took a huge loss on it. Bought my 98 T/A with just bolt ons and went out and ran .3 faster then I did in my Camaro.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

nice car slowmofo...nice numbers too. as long as i see cars like dave's lt1, i will be alright. just need a little reminder of what lt1's are capable of! badass car dave!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by LT1_T/A
screaminredz.....i dont know if you can read my post or not but i said my time was better than his stock ls1...and i think everyone who has posted in this thread knows that i do not literally hate ls1's you dumbass. i know ls1's are better than lt1's STOCK and thats alright cuz i'd rather have my lt1 so i can beat idiots like you that talk **** about the lt1!!!
Your title says "I hate Ls1's"
With all your mods you beat him by .09

I appologize sooo much for thinking that you were just posting this because you were being whinny girl.

What are you gonna do when you throw more money at your car and then get beat by some other stock car? Get off the rag and stop crying about it.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

like i said i didnt get beat by a stock car....and i aint gonna sit here and argue with you in this thread.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:35 AM

LOL, your call, I love arguing for no reason
Old 03-18-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, this thread started off well and then went downhill REAL fast.

OP, there's only one solution: sell your LT1 and buy an LS1. Otherwise, you're not going to beat ScreaminRedZ, haha. I think it's especially funny because ScreaminRedZ has both an LS1 and an LT1.

Now on a more serious note, those are some good times with your LT1, OP.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

i aint worried about screaminredz....his cars are stock. thanks for the comment on my times....i know my cam and tune will make a big difference.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

Here is a link to a very recent thread where they announced the new stock internal record of 10.68 @ 122.91 from the drag racing results section.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879218

Here are my sources on the raceweight. Now if either party lied then I can not be held responsible for that. But I doubt that is the case.

It's from the same thread I quoted above. First post past some pics.

Now my source for Shon Herrons raceweight:

http://www.herronperformance.com/html/shop_car.html

The last sentence of the first paragraph says it all. This is coming from Herron performance and I think they would know.

The list of mods are normal for the LT1s and the race weight was around 3100#s.

So then what is the automatic LT1 stock internal bolt on record? I searched but I couldn't find it. You know why? Because no one cares to record it when it's not breaking the actual stock internal record.

Likewise I did a search for the fastest stock internal M6 LS1 and got nothing concrete. I know the fastest stock internal M6 LS1 on ls1techs ET database is 11.4 but that does not mean it's the fastest stock internal M6 pass ever made. It might be but someone else may have gone faster. Because just like the auto LT1 no one cares to record it when it's not breaking the actual stock internal record.

Let me now say for the record that Shon Herron and RUQWIKR (Dave) deserve a lot of respect for the time, effort and fantastic results each obtained when they set thier platforms stock internal records.

Apples to apples

Well all I can say is my apologies. It'd be nice if this damn site would keep information up to date cause it shows the other time. Like I said before kudos to both. Anyway, damn, I let myself get pulled into these old LT/LS debates
Old 03-18-2008, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Well all I can say is my apologies. It'd be nice if this damn site would keep information up to date cause it shows the other time. Like I said before kudos to both. Anyway, damn, I let myself get pulled into these old LT/LS debates
It's cool. I enjoy debates when they are based on facts or even opinions as long as they are not flamefests and personal bashing. The new LS1 record was just recently broken and the old record was 10.8 so I can see why you might not have heard about it yet. And I had to look for awhile to find Shons raceweight. No biggie.

It's all good. In the end we all own fbodies, we all have cool cars and we all want to when we see riced out imports with giant wings and rediculous body kits.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by burnzilla
LS1's are 10 years old now.
Anyone can find a 80-120K 98-99 LS1 for 5-8K...they are not that expensive.
A low mile LT1 in nice shape can still pull a nice price as well.

I just sold my "very clean" 9/3 T/A M6 with 375 RWHP for $7k with 102k miles, I probably had atleast three times that in it. I bought a 00 WS6 with 45k on it for 14k, all stock.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

sounds like a good deal.....good luck with the ws6!

Quick Reply: I Hate Ls1's