LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

bad lifter??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97BBlackZ
Will do. It'll have to be in the morning though since it sitting out front. I'm not sure of the exact problem it had before all i know is that he had to replace them.

Do i have to take the heads off if it is a collapsed lifter?

no, if it's a collapsed lifter you'll have to remove the intake tho. (not the heads)

if it's a broken valve spring which would entail a 99.99% chance of a bent @#$'d up valve then ya the bad head will need to come off, i think you would be hearing more than just that loud ticking if it was a broken VS tho. the valve would be hitting the top of the piston, the locks would be bouncing around, the retainer would be flying around and ugh.. it would be nightmarish basically. and it would run like a total POS (worst case scenario)

ya get some pics up in the morning I'll try to help you from there. I'll be in class all damn day tomorrow taking notes, bored out of my skull anyway lol !
Old 03-20-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

soo no pics yet ?
Old 03-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
soo no pics yet ?
Just got every thing taken off. 90% sure its a lifter now. No springs look broken and all the RR look fine. Atleast to me?

But now how do i go about replacing the Lifter and finding out which one it is?? Or is it a good idea to just replace them all? And are Autozone replacements going to be ok? Do i have to reconnect the alt ect to be ably to start it again :-(

ALSO i just got back from looking at it but there is a NIC on the driver side on the 3rd one. You can kind of see it in one of the last pictures. The nic exstends maybe half way to the rod but doesn't touch it so i think it was there when they installed it. Would that cause any problems?

Last edited by 97BBlackZ; 03-20-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

hmm i was almost sure it was going to be a messed up pushrod. the next easiest thing would be to. this may sound dumb, but check that nothing foreign is banging around in the top of the valvtrain there like a bolt that came loose or something (i know unlikely and odd) also make sure nothing is hitting any pullies on the front of the engine, I know these ideas sound dumb but you never know.

It looks like your gonna have to pull the intake off there man and have a look at those lifters. BUT first are you 100% sure those rockers are adjusted correctly? what was the original problem with them?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
hmm i was almost sure it was going to be a messed up pushrod. the next easiest thing would be to. this may sound dumb, but check that nothing foreign is banging around in the top of the valvtrain there like a bolt that came loose or something (i know unlikely and odd) also make sure nothing is hitting any pullies on the front of the engine, I know these ideas sound dumb but you never know.

It looks like your gonna have to pull the intake off there man and have a look at those lifters. BUT first are you 100% sure those rockers are adjusted correctly? what was the original problem with them?

sure thing. Umm no i'm not lol. idk how to adjust them I'll have to look it up.

I'm not 100% sure what the original problem was. I i remember was them saying they replaced all the RR and spring i believe.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

What will a bad lifter look like? or how can i tell?