LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spark Plugs Black and Smelling like Fuel? Pic Inside

Old 03-29-2008, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark Plugs Black and Smelling like Fuel? Pic Inside

I pulled a couple of my spark plugs and as the title says they are black and smell strongly of gas.

This engine is 1,700 miles old, Procharged and has been struggling since it first fired with a rich running condition and has recently developed a misfire under load around 2700-3500 RPM which prompted me to change the spark plugs and examine the wires. Although I believe that the discoloration/odor of the spark plugs is due to the fact that the car is running so rich, I was worried that it could possibly be indicative of other problems.

I've included a rather crappy cell phone pic, comparing one of the new plugs to one of the pulled plugs, this is #7 that you're seeing.

If anybody has any thoughts about the state of the plug vs why the car is misfiring, or any other insight as to a potential issue due to the poor state of the plugs, I'd really like to hear it. This car has been giving me hell since it was first built and I'm trying to nail down the issue.
Attached Thumbnails Spark Plugs Black and Smelling like Fuel? Pic Inside-0329081754.jpg  
Old 03-29-2008, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I would see if you can lean it out or get a hotter Plug. If it's doin it in that RPM range you may need a Tune Adjustment in the Fuel Trims in that Range.

Originally Posted by Masochist
II was worried that it could possibly be indicative of other problems.
If you are running pig rich eventually you could wash out your Rings..
Check your Oil too.. I'm willing to bet it smells like Gas..run it too thin and risk spinning a Bearing.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Idle and go sniff the exhaust, if you smell gas then you know it's running too rich. Then maybe prop it to run @ 2K and smell and see if it is worse/same. It's running rich though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plugs Black and Smelling like Fuel? Pic Inside