LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I'm so sick of these exhaust problems.. I've called jegs, summit, midas.. help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got mine at oreillys, got my buddies at auto zone, just go in and ask for the 3" exhaust band clamps, if they look at you like your stupid just tell them like the bandclamps people use on semi exhaust usually it will ring a bell in they're little brain.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they'll be a staight band clamp but they'll molt around your exhaust pipe and look stepped. Pretty slick.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im having clearence issues with the o2 bung.. i don't think i can use band clamps with my setup (slip fit)... would it be okay to just use U bolts ?
Old 04-12-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
im having clearence issues with the o2 bung.. i don't think i can use band clamps with my setup (slip fit)... would it be okay to just use U bolts ?
You can just use U clamps, how far forward are the o2 bosses, mine are like 4-6", that should be plenty for a band clamp also i would think, you'll just have to mock one up & see, now i'm sure Midas won't mess with your exhaust, they have to follow stricked emission laws, so if the Cats are gone, they won't touch it, you'll be on your own, unless you find a low key muffler shop that'll do it, the shoulder reducers will work fine for what your doing, sure, the tapered are much nicer, but they will set you back alittle more, now what you could do is, send the 2.1/2 X back for a 3" X, or open up the ends of your 2.1/2 to 3", then just get 3" pipe to slip over both ends (headers & X pipe), not trying to confuse you, but there are many options you can take. this is how i did my headers & Ory, just don't clamp down exstreamly hard on the clamps, once they start getting snug, the pipe is not slipping off, unless you bottom it out on something.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Launching!

what i did on my chevelle was cut off the 3 bolt flange off the headers.
then i bought these... http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

3" to 2.5" slip on reducers. i slid them over the collector, and band clamped it on. ZERO problems. i love it. no more blowing out gaskets.
as for the rest of the exhaust it was a universal 2.5" jegs x-pipe, and moroso race mufflers and the entire exhaust is band clamped.

i got the band clamps from a local auto parts store. when you crank it down, it forms to the two pipes. you will have to retighten after a few heat cycles. but i have never had one leak yet.

do no use u-bolts, you will never get it off. weld it or band clamp it together.

if you want pics, i can take a pic of my header (since its out of the car) with the reducer on it.

aaron

Quick Reply: I'm so sick of these exhaust problems.. I've called jegs, summit, midas.. help!