LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT's vs Shortys

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cops won't bother you if your not being stupid or making alot of noise, thats a rediculous assumption to make, what do you think they do, sniffer tests lol, Oh i smell exhaust fumes, better pull this guy over , they have WAY more important things to think about, any "SNIFF" test is up to the emission stations, now if your exhaust is dragging/load or falling off, then yes, you might get stopped, but all you'll get is a ticket (maybe), the cops could give a rats *** if your running cats or not, if you have a current plates/insurance & inspection, thats all there care about, if you don't beleive me, ask a cop.
HOLY RUN-ON SENTENCE BATMAN O_O

He's right though... to which I'll reply below the next quote.

Originally Posted by Tsar
yes actually that is exactly what happened, he got pulled over and the first thing that a cop did, was ask him if he had cats on. Later he said it was because he could smell his car as he passed by him. So how about if you do not know what you are talking about. He let him go, but said if he sees his car again it will be towed. So yea

Also it is against the law to MOVE cats so you would fail the visual part of emissions if you get a catted y-pipe for your LT's. Especially in NJ, unless you pay someone, which i do not want to waste money on, and it also got progressively harder to do. SO before opening your trap how about you get a clue about LOCAL rules which I was talking about, because your clearly do NOT apply in my town. f'ing 08's...kthxbye
Well, I don't know about YOUR town But in Minnesota, COPS can't do squat about that sort of thing except for Noise Ordinance . The cops have to be D.O.T. approved in order to do any inspections of that magnitude, which includes illegal installation of add-ons or removal/moving of cats or O2 sensors, or sniffer tests. Hell I you might have to be DOT approved for window tint tests. But again, this is in Minnesota, and the majority of cops are not. Now, Sheriff probably will, and I KNOW that State Troopers have to be So until YOU tell us we don't know about your LOCAL rules, link us to them as proof that you KNOW what you're TALKING abOuT! See, not ALL cops are stupid. They can tell when a car goes by and it's ******* loud as hell, that it's got exhaust work done (hell my Mom can). So you're pulled over, and already nervous (whom of us isn't (except that one time with me, which I can tell the tale of if you're so inclined to know)?), he can pretty much say whatever he wants to and you'll squeal like a pig. Hell I remember one story of a kid who had NOS and got pulled over and the guy asked if he had NOS and he said yes, and got a ticket (which, I don't even know if that's a legit ticket...). If you're dumb enough, you'll get a ticket.

Oh, right forgot to use another , and an for good measures.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um...which law are you looking for? the one that says that its illegal to move cats from their stock location? or the one that says that its illegal to remove them?

If its any of the above, I'm sure it is in the Federal Clean Air act, you can find it on Google or EPA website, so have fun.

P.S. I do not care what cops can do in Minnesota, i do not live there.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

You should care. I've heard of people suing over laws in other states, that aren't in the one they're in.

And either law, for MN, would require a DOT certified cop.

Also, if a vehicle is over 10yrs old, it doesn't require them here. Why, I unno, just what they said when they did away with emissions here in MN.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Formula350
You should care. I've heard of people suing over laws in other states, that aren't in the one they're in.

And either law, for MN, would require a DOT certified cop.

Also, if a vehicle is over 10yrs old, it doesn't require them here. Why, I unno, just what they said when they did away with emissions here in MN.
Vehicles over 10 years old don't require what? cats? If that's the case in Minnesota that's great, it is not the case in Jersey. Jersey is almost as **** like as Cali, hell i know someone who failed for the lights that were not properly adjusted.

Correct me if I'm wrong (never bought Long tubes) but don't they say "off road use only" and they are not carb certified? which would make them illegal to run on the street, no?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

The ones w/o emissions plumbing might say off-road use only, but very few of anything that's aftermarket says they can, it's just so they can sell it. Sort of a loop-hole that leaves the judgment in the hands of the buyer.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

The ones w/o emissions plumbing might say off-road use only, but very few of anything that's aftermarket says they can, it's just so they can sell it. Sort of a loop-hole that leaves the judgment in the hands of the buyer.
are any of the long tubes carb certified? such as CAI's and Cat backs? most of that stuff has a sticker on it that you can present to "the man" if he thinks its illegal.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

are any of the long tubes carb certified? such as CAI's and Cat backs? most of that stuff has a sticker on it that you can present to "the man" if he thinks its illegal.
From a quick google search, LOTS of import headers are, but that's the market todays crowd creates. So people will drop a few extra coins to make something street legal if it means more buyers in the long run.

But, we don't live in Cali, so why should either of us care about CARB certs?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

From a quick google search, LOTS of import headers are, but that's the market todays crowd creates. So people will drop a few extra coins to make something street legal if it means more buyers in the long run.

But, we don't live in Cali, so why should either of us care about CARB certs?
I was under the assumption that products with carb certs were 50 state legal, no?

I'm not quite familiar with imports, so i wont argue there. I just know if i get Long Tubes in Jersey I will fail emissions because from what I've seen they violate the law one way or another. Either having no emissions hook ups ( you found some that do have them) or moving/eliminating the cats which is would make me fail my visual inspection.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was under the assumption that products with carb certs were 50 state legal, no?

I'm not quite familiar with imports, so i wont argue there. I just know if i get Long Tubes in Jersey I will fail emissions because from what I've seen they violate the law one way or another. Either having no emissions hook ups ( you found some that do have them) or moving/eliminating the cats which is would make me fail my visual inspection.
Yea, CARB = 50 state legal, since NON Carb is like 49 state legal Cali has a problem with everything, that's just common knowledge. Why would brake cleaner be known to cause cancer in JUST Cali? See where I'm going with this? Exposure to SUN causes cancer... so are they going to C.A.R.B. certify Mr. Sol? -_-

At anyrate, there are tons of headers with emissions hook ups. Also, there is no end to what someone can do with a sawzall, pipe (multiple pieces of different bend degree's help) and a welder can do. Hell, we made 100% custom BBC headers for a S-10, because back then, no one made BBC headers for an S-10, and the only info on the net about them was 2 others doing it! Point is: you can get headers and make sure the cat ends up in the same spot with some effort.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the federal clean air act of 1970 stated that no shop may remove cats and all cars from then on out must have cats. The clean air act of 1990 states that no individual, private or buisness may remove or move cats.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

At anyrate, there are tons of headers with emissions hook ups. Also, there is no end to what someone can do with a sawzall, pipe (multiple pieces of different bend degree's help) and a welder can do. Hell, we made 100% custom BBC headers for a S-10, because back then, no one made BBC headers for an S-10, and the only info on the net about them was 2 others doing it! Point is: you can get headers and make sure the cat ends up in the same spot with some effort.
That would require me to cut up the Long tube itself to place cats where they were originally thus resulting in shorty headers

I wish i still lived in FL where they didn't care about emissions
Old 04-15-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Formula96
the federal clean air act of 1970 stated that no shop may remove cats and all cars from then on out must have cats. The clean air act of 1990 states that no individual, private or buisness may remove or move cats.
Now that you mention it, that occurred here in MN around 1999/2000, and I believe what we were told was anything before 1990 didn't require a Cat. Which is why I'm remembering "10 years or older". My mistake :\

That would require me to cut up the Long tube itself to place cats where they were originally thus resulting in shorty headers

I wish i still lived in FL where they didn't care about emissions
Guess I haven't really looked at how long LTs actually are heh Haven't had an interest in headers atm.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

well i guess this discussion is done, right in time to me to go back to class. Whoopeee...