LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cadillac cam!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it could yes. so i just found out the other day when i called the dyno shop that they thought when i had originally called my 96 was an ls1? and i was like wtf they never made an ls1 in 96 and the guy is all ohh well i figured oyu swapped it. so to the point they can't dyno tune my car. :angry:

so been doin some searching around and found a local guy who can at least load a base flash on my car and account for all the mods i have done. the tune should be on the car before the weekend is over and next weekend to the track if the raining stops!

since i wont be able to post a dyno slip it will just be a track slip showin my time, which in a way is much more important to me than a dyno slip. as i really dont care what rwhp i have just that i have a faster than stock car haha.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
so how did you manage 290 with just a cai? i mean stock is rated 285 so that is crank that would make that 235 at the wheels if you assume an 18% drive train loss. so im wondering how a CAI gave you 55 rwhp. i haven't ever even heard of a CAI giving 50 crank hp. something is a little fishy there.
you're saying a manual Lt1 should put down 235? ok, sure.

Anyway, the car was a 97, with a brand new fuel pump, oil change, and the stock 3.42 gears in a 10 bolt with a CAI and those fancy air foils. Nothing "fishy", just a solid engine that wouldn't die till a 1/4 million miles (and yes, the stock opti is still funtional).

The 396 that replaced it is a bit more stout.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

honestly i would love to hear i dyno'd that high with just a cai (or hell even a little lower cause im a4) but regardless im not here to argue your number im sure you did dyno that and you have a slip to prove it.

so moving on i finally got the car tuned this past weekend got a base flash loaded on by Sean over at Top Gear Motorsports here in AZ, he told me he was using TunerCat and wow does the car run completely different now. its like a whole new beast! to the track this coming weekend for some 1/4 passes!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you dynoed it yet PNY?

What all did you do for the cam swap (not including replacing any old parts) and what was your final price (tune not included)?

As for M6vsA4 dynos, the M6s make about 265-270hp and autos around 245-255hp. TQ has less change. I think the A4s are about 270 and M6 is around 285.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:55 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350
Have you dynoed it yet PNY?

What all did you do for the cam swap (not including replacing any old parts) and what was your final price (tune not included)?
the shop that was going to 'dyno' tune it thought i had an LS1 so they were unable to help me out but i did get a tune.

A buddy of mine goes to UTI and they are supposed to be having a dyno day here in the next week and he is going to let me take my car and dyno it for free so as soon as i get that slip it will be posted to show all the naw sayers.

but i can tell you i am very satisfied with the car. it runs like champ.

as far as price, i spent about 800 dollars on parts alone for the cam as i bought them all new, new 1.6RR's hardened pushrods, dual valve springs, ls7 lifters. that is just parts cost. obviously the cam was installed when i had the head gasket changed so the shop was nice enough to not charge me any extra to install the cam but im sure it would be a a decent amount of money to have it installed unless you were to do it yourself.

so if you got all the parts and a tune and did all the work yourself id say look at spending around $1000 bucks for all the necesary stuff. you definitely dont want to go cheap in this area or thats how i feel.

i also should be hitting the track this next weekend, maybe even wednesday night so i will post that time slip as well.

hope that helps and sorry for the lengthy answer im bored at work
Old 05-27-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, sadly I wouldn't be able to effectively tune it, but I might be able to hammer out a semi-decent one. I'd just have to find someone to burn the file to an EPROM again (lovely 93 feature lol). As for installing, my buddy would help me, I have no doubt about that. Yet both of us will be moving, so to do it, I'd have to drive when TN to LA (state not the city). I'd probably also keep my stock lifters and rockers, and if these hardened pushrods I have are the right size I'd toss them in. I'd have to do springs though. What did the cam and springs cost?

That was insanely nice of them not to charge you for the install. I know that the book time on the Opti is like 3hrs alone, and the heads you don't have to tear off the front of the motor, so that was cool.

I'll have to check back in a few weeks when you bump the thread for the Dyno.

Don't worry about the long reply, I ramble too.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

well if your buddy and you can do it then the total cost would be around 450-500. The cam is from Speed Inc and is $300, the dual valve springs i got from summit racing and their part number is CRN-10308-1 and they were 174.70 total shipped to my front door.

Quick Reply: cadillac cam!