LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Na H/c/i Setups

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ABA383
This is very good advice...I run a 383 with a 226/234 weenie cam with .568" lift...Great drivability and over 121 mph traps....bigger aint always better...

--Alan
I like the sound of that, plus smaller cam = sleeper
I will have the stock bore and stroke though.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jasonisdn
he said it was for a 95, in the first post
yeah, different car
Old 04-29-2008, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by exodus
just lookin to have a fun street car that canbe thrashed on the weekends, and not be broke all the time so I can enjoy it everyday. This is my ultimate goal. If I had the money for it I would be going the forced induction route, but it just can't happen . I do like the AI stuff, looks very good for my application.

Give Ron and Phil a call. One of their smaller line cams may just suit your application perfectly, without high RPM missing or valvetrain demolition in a few thousand miles.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have even thought about swapping to the complete LT4 H/C/I setup using the gmpp lt4 heads, hot cam kit (the one that has the springs, 1.6 RR, nad cam for like $550), and the edelbrock air gap lt4 intake for a 58 mm tb, and the tb as well. I have heard a lot that this kind of setup is old news, and that there is better to be had out there, but I wonder about the reliability factor with some of these setups, and not to mention that a lot of the ones that are out there seem like the will kill the streetability of the car. These are both important to me as I like to spend more time behind the wheel, and less time under it.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like this cam from AI, and I think with a set of their heads this would be great. Especially since this is an A4 car.
(right from their site)
Ai 226 / 234 - .540/.575 - 110 LSA Primary Operating Range: 2000-6200rpm
This is our largest stock long-block cam for auto cars. Lopey idle, good drivability, and excellent mid-range with peak power at approximately 6200rpm. Properly tuned w/ supporting modifications, M6's typically produce 345-360rwhp SAE corrected.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

yeah, different car
My bad, i scanned the post to get the jist of it and I guess the sig pic grabbed my attention. I'd suggest one of Lloyd Elliots budget kits. I doesn't sound like you want a major screamer, especially since you considered one of the LT4 packages. I'm for certain that you'd be happy with the LE1, AND FOR LESS $$$$$$. Lloyd is great to work with, give him a shout!
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

The LT4 head/cam setup would be the biggest waste of time and money ever. You would get considerable gains over that if you went with a good setup as in Ai, Lloyd Elliot, etc. As long as you go with a cam that suits your needs you wont be having any drivability issues. Advanced Induction is all about reliability I suggest you give them a call and Im sure you would forget you ever considered the LT4 package.
11 Second Club

I like this cam from AI, and I think with a set of their heads this would be great. Especially since this is an A4 car.
(right from their site)
Ai 226 / 234 - .540/.575 - 110 LSA Primary Operating Range: 2000-6200rpm
This is our largest stock long-block cam for auto cars. Lopey idle, good drivability, and excellent mid-range with peak power at approximately 6200rpm. Properly tuned w/ supporting modifications, M6's typically produce 345-360rwhp SAE corrected.
that one, or the one that is one 'range' smaller would suit you fine with a set of their 200cc heads with a ported stock manifold. dollars ahead of the LT4 route you're thinking of, with better results IMO.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
I'm for certain that you'd be happy with the LE1, AND FOR LESS $$$$$$.
Really?? Why should he settle?
Old 04-29-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go with that setup mentioned from ai with the 200cc heads, and the ported stock intake and the cam I mentioned above. I would like to give them a call over there and see what they think of this combo with their parts. I am really liking what I have found on the AI site.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was just mainly looking to see what others out there were running for thier H/C/I in thier aplications that might be similar in the fact of being a DD, and seeing the track on the weekends.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

I would go with that setup mentioned from ai with the 200cc heads, and the ported stock intake and the cam I mentioned above. I would like to give them a call over there and see what they think of this combo with their parts. I am really liking what I have found on the AI site.
They will make you a custom grind based off of those heads, your gearing, stall size, wants etc. so you will end up with the perfect cam for what you want.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

so much info! i love it when i don't have to ask a question and can read other peoples posts, haha. makes my life easier. so thanks exodus, haha
Old 04-29-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

np vicious , you actually made me go back and reread his post lol.
My bad, i scanned the post to get the jist of it and I guess the sig pic grabbed my attention. I'd suggest one of Lloyd Elliots budget kits. I doesn't sound like you want a major screamer, especially since you considered one of the LT4 packages. I'm for certain that you'd be happy with the LE1, AND FOR LESS $$$$$$. Lloyd is great to work with, give him a shout!
Old 04-29-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
They will make you a custom grind based off of those heads, your gearing, stall size, wants etc. so you will end up with the perfect cam for what you want.
sounds like you have a very similar setup there in your dumdumdumdumdum, what does it do in the quarter?, and what suspension do you have done so far to yours?

if you don't mind me asking
Old 04-29-2008, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

sounds like you have a very similar setup there in your dumdumdumdumdum, what does it do in the quarter?, and what suspension do you have done so far to yours?

if you don't mind me asking
Id tell ya but its still under construction. As far as suspension I have a UMI Torque Arm, UMI Panhard, UMI Subframes, and UMI LCA's. Unfortunately non of them are adjustable because my plans were to never lower the car but then I go out and lower it haha. My first and only time at the track with the Stall I was cutting 1.69's with 255 ET Streets and hope to get to mid 1.6's when I get some much needed LCA Relocation Brackets on there and I learn the sweet spot of where to launch this thing.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do not plan to lower, and also plan to get a slightly lower stall, but other than that full suspension is the plan with roughly the same engine setup.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I have done a couple of searches, and checked out the stickies, but would like to hear your oppinions on what works well for a daily driver that sees the strip on the weekends. I am looking for combo's that are not gonna kill the reliability, but make decent power and work well together through the entire rpm band in both horsepower, and torque. The car will be a 95 TA A4 with a converter, a 3.73 gear, and a 28" tall tire at the track. Any and all info is appreciated, thanks.

Chris
just lookin to have a fun street car that canbe thrashed on the weekends, and not be broke all the time so I can enjoy it everyday. This is my ultimate goal. If I had the money for it I would be going the forced induction route, but it just can't happen . I do like the AI stuff, looks very good for my application.
Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Really?? Why should he settle?

Easy,these things stick out to me, DAILY DRIVER, FUN STREET CAR, NOT BROKE ALL THE TIME, and last but not least, ENJOY IT EVERYDAY.
It just seems obvious to me that this car will spend far more time on the street than the race track, reliability comes in to play here and something mild would work well in such an application. I feel like the LE1 is perfectly suitable and I know Lloyd to be a stand up guy who's very helpful and doesn't mind spending his time with you.

I get the feeling that you meant more than what's stated in your quote/question.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Village Troll

Received 527 Likes on 379 Posts

Easy,these things stick out to me, DAILY DRIVER, FUN STREET CAR, NOT BROKE ALL THE TIME, and last but not least, ENJOY IT EVERYDAY.
It just seems obvious to me that this car will spend far more time on the street than the race track, reliability comes in to play here and something mild would work well in such an application. I feel like the LE1 is perfectly suitable and I know Lloyd to be a stand up guy who's very helpful and doesn't mind spending his time with you.

I get the feeling that you meant more than what's stated in your quote/question.
Why imply that it would be broken all the time? That cam is not as aggressive as many other off the shelf grinds you see in peoples sigs which are daily drivers. Besides that I've seen REAL impressive dyno numbers from the LE1 setups. Not so much for track. That alone would steer me clear from that setup.
You want real mild and great driveability with the ability to go into the low low 12's or maybe even high 11's since this is an auto setup then Lingenfelter's CNC heads w/ their 211/219 cam is a far better choice than LE IMO. Sure you may pay more, but you get exactly what you pay for and that's mile after mile and years of great reliability. I had that package on my car from 1997 until 2005 and NEVER had one single issue. With supporting mods it ran a best of 12.0 @ 115, would run consistent 12.1 to 12.2's in the summer heat and got mid to high 20's MPG wise. Car weighed (still does) 3750lbs. Not a stich of interrior has ever been removed nor A/C or any acc.

Last edited by SS RRR; 04-29-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Why imply that it would be broken all the time? That cam is not as aggressive as many other off the shelf grinds you see in peoples sigs which are daily drivers. Besides that I've seen REAL impressive dyno numbers from the LE1 setups. Not so much for track. That alone would steer me clear from that setup.
You want real mild and great driveability with the ability to go into the low low 12's or maybe even high 11's since this is an auto setup then Lingenfelter's CNC heads w/ their 211/219 cam is a far better choice than LE IMO. Sure you may pay more, but you get exactly what you pay for.
For a fun reliable H/C 'package' the LPE stuff cant be beat...I ran that combo on my 383 for years with no problems...Those same heads although re-ported by Eric Bradby a few years ago, still sport the same 13 year old LPE valve springs and retainers...Their heads are worth it imho...and the 211/219 cam has .533/.560" lift with 1.6s and is on a 112 which is a nice cam good to around 6000 rpm...

--Alan

Quick Reply: Na H/c/i Setups