LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

The difference that HID's made on my 95 Z28...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isent it just as simple as taking the old bulb out and silliying in a new 5 new bulb?
Old 04-26-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94m6Z28
isent it just as simple as taking the old bulb out and silliying in a new 5 new bulb?
Unfortunatly "no" its no where near that simple. At bare minimum to do a true HID conversion you would need ballasts that convert the correct electrical current to the HID bulbs, and then you can break the glue around your halogen bulbs and insert the HID bulbs, and then silicone the back of them. That seams to be what a lot of people do.

I didn't like "cracking the glue" or "RTV'ing" the new HID's in the factory housings so I found a company that sold new housings that were meant to seal around the HID's using an O style ring.

People have done the "silver star" bulbs before. But that is not an HID swap. It's just another slightly brighter than factory halogen light bulb.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:34 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by halucinator
The biggest problem I have is on Dark and rainy nights. I can't see ****.
I have horrible vision to begin with. If there are no lights on the road I'm driving on I have to drive in grandma mode.

Originally Posted by integraxtc
and you're so proud of that?
I'm thinking the same thing. That's why I x2ed on the question about cut off. My eyes don't work well, but they are really sensitive. Bright lights like those actually hurt my eyes. I don't want to have others feel the same sort of discomfort.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I have horrible vision to begin with. If there are no lights on the road I'm driving on I have to drive in grandma mode.

I'm thinking the same thing. That's why I x2ed on the question about cut off. My eyes don't work well, but they are really sensitive. Bright lights like those actually hurt my eyes. I don't want to have others feel the same sort of discomfort.
So you can't see worth crap if your headlights are the only thing lighting the road at night, but you don't want bright lights because they might hurt your eyes. Sounds like you will be hosed either way.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good!
Old 04-27-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
Just look on ebay, and you'll find lots of different ones for sale. Mine cost $225 after shipping, and included the headlight housings (most just include the HID lights, ballasts, and then you have to use your factory housings).

If you can't find any you are sure about, I'll PM you the info.
I always thought that the lights on our cars were very inadequate, at least for me. But I had heard that the HID's were bright but had no distance, Your pics prove wrong, I will be looking into some myself, Thanks for the pics and info.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
I always thought that the lights on our cars were very inadequate, at least for me. But I had heard that the HID's were bright but had no distance, Your pics prove wrong, I will be looking into some myself, Thanks for the pics and info.
They definatly improved both light quality and distance. If projectors can be incorporated with them, the results are even more stunning.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:58 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you can't see worth crap if your headlights are the only thing lighting the road at night, but you don't want bright lights because they might hurt your eyes. Sounds like you will be hosed either way.
I think you missed my point completely.

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I don't want to have others feel the same sort of discomfort.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:26 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by integraxtc
and you're so proud of that?
That was sarasm.

Thanks Silas. LEDgauges.com is probably the best place to get them. Nathan is the guy who runs it, and is a sponser on this site. His kits are of the highest quality, and even though I went with someone else off of ebay, I would still reccomend Nathans kits above anyone else. They are a little pricey though. $350 from LEDgauges.com
I got mine back in the day when they were 200. I wasn't aware you can't adjust them. Mine have a very clear cutoff line when shot up against the wall and I can adjust mine based on that line on the wall. But they're still bright but not as bad as before.

Last edited by SRZ; 04-28-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

They definatly improved both light quality and distance. If projectors can be incorporated with them, the results are even more stunning.
I did a search on Ebay and there are so many as stated, Do you mind PM'ing me name of company so I can get a set ordered, Thanks.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

It wasn't a company, it was from a member named; xenonpimp. There currently are no more kits for sale by him right now.

Quick Reply: The difference that HID's made on my 95 Z28...