LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A/C Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Question?

Sorry, I tried to find another thread but couldn't find something that sounded like my situation. My situation: there is this annoying whining noise when i turn on the a/c. It only happens when i turn on the a/c. If i use the heater it does not make this sound. It sometimes makes this sound for half a second once i start the car but never makes it again until i turn on the a/c. It is not one continuous noise either, it will make the whining noise for a second or two then it will be silent for 30 seconds or so then it will make it again? Anyone know what might be causing the problem? Thanks.
Also, when it is making the whinning noise, the air coming out is warm but once the noise stops it goes back to being cold again.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

It may be going out (compressor) but first i would have oil added to the system . The lack of oil is what causes the whinning maybe it not to late
Old 05-15-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djjab57
It may be going out (compressor) but first i would have oil added to the system . The lack of oil is what causes the whinning maybe it not to late
How do you add oil to the system? Do you do this with a recharge/conditioner kit thru the low pressure side?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

yes if you look where the 134 is there will be cans of oil or conditioner u add it the same way
Old 05-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Okay, I will go to Autozone tomorrow to pick up the oil/reconditioner. How much oil should be added and where did the original oil go, I haven't seen any leaks?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

i would try one can you will see them say for cars with high miles on them. dont know where it goes i guess it just wears out over time
Old 05-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Well i added a 2 oz can of oil to the system and it is still making the noise. I think the system was full b/c oil started bubbling out of the low pressure port, quite a bit of oil came back out and now when i shut the car off, it will hiss for a little bit? What does that mean? And what should i do now since adding oil didn't work?
Old 05-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Launching!

You need to see where the whining noise is coming from when it is happening, while it is happening open the hood and listen for it, it could be something as simple as the belt slipping when the compressor clutch is engaged, or it could be as dj said the compressor locking up. Let us know what you find when listening to it.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

if its hissing sounds like you have a leak did you put a gauge on it cause even it you over fill it it wont come out
Old 05-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Yea you need to get a gauge on it...you can overfill 134a systems and cause damage.

Take it to a couple of shops and get a quote, then fix it yourself.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:54 PM

The compressor is junk. It just happened to me. The noise would happen as the a/c cluth engages on the compressor, then it cycles and the clutch on the compressor free spins for a minute and back on. Thats why the noise comes and goes probably. Your best bet is to go to a shop and have it evac & recharged. It'll probably run ya about a $100 bucks or less but its the only way to do it right unless you have a guage setup and can measure the amount your putting in (or taking out). Theres an outside chance its low on 134 and the compresser low pressure switch is pre-maturely shutting down the compressor but its unlikely.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Ok, so I jacked the car up and looked and listened. I had my dad turn the a/c on and off, and seems to be coming directly from the compressor because as soon as the clutch engaged, the ear-wrenching squeal would start up.

To answer other questions...I never gauged it. The hissing noise would only come from the low pressure port, no where else.

Is replacing the compressor (if thats the problem) a "do it yourself" kind of job because I know you have to have the a/c system drained before you work on it and then recharged afterwards? How much would a shop charge to fix this?
Old 05-18-2008, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

r u sure the hissing isn't the high side and low side equalizing? Sounds like compressors gone but it could just be the compressor clutch. I would have to hear it to verify it. Anyway you can hook up pressure guauge and tell us your reading when the clutch is engaged and the compressors on? If you can tell me the low/hi side #s I can tell you if the compressor is bad or not.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Unfortunately, I do not have a gauge but can probably get one tomorrow if this sound doesn't distinguish it for you. Here is the video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psD8GQZz4gE

I started the car, and then 2 seconds in, I had my brother turn on the a/c. You can see the clutch engage on the far right of the screen, then my brother turned the a/c off right before the clip ends. It used to make this noise intermittently when I had the a/c on but now it makes it pretty much constantly with the a/c on. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-20-2008, 06:51 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I'd say your compressors about had it. Make sure to replace the accumulator(dryer) when you replace the compressor. A lot of people say to replace the exp valve as well but in all the A/C work I've done I haven't seen too many problems with exp valves. O-tubes can clog up a lot easier than exp valve. Depending on what the low and high side pressure #s are when A/C is on, a competent shop can tell you if you have a restriction. If you do then you should have the whole A/C system flushed. A lot of people get away without flushing the A/C system and have problems a couple of years later. A lot depends if you plan on keeping the car for awhile or not.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smokinlt1
Yeah, I'd say your compressors about had it. Make sure to replace the accumulator(dryer) when you replace the compressor. A lot of people say to replace the exp valve as well but in all the A/C work I've done I haven't seen too many problems with exp valves. O-tubes can clog up a lot easier than exp valve. Depending on what the low and high side pressure #s are when A/C is on, a competent shop can tell you if you have a restriction. If you do then you should have the whole A/C system flushed. A lot of people get away without flushing the A/C system and have problems a couple of years later. A lot depends if you plan on keeping the car for awhile or not.
I think GM uses more O-tubes than expansion valves. If my formula didn't have the missing low side line I would have my A/C working too.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

wich part of the line is it cause the lines on top high and low come as a set i tried but couldnt buy one without the other
Old 05-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Well I just got my car back today from the shop, they gave me a free estimate and said that what is wrong is that my belt tensioner is stuck and is not working properly. They said it would be $143.73 to fix. Tensioners aren't that bad to replace yourself correct?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Its easy an the part is less than $30 if i remember right Update just lookes at az its $45
Old 05-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Okay, I got the parts. I'm assuming once you get the serpentine belt off, all you have to do is unbolt the two bolts that hold the tensioner in place correct?

Quick Reply: A/C Question?