LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Water Pump Leak Please Help??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Leak Please Help??

Okay i replaced all hoses to the water pump because i thought that might be it instead of investigating further so after i replaced them it continued to leak and i got back under the car and found that it is leaking from this hole on the water pump which i heard it was called a weep hole??? does this mean that the water pump is done? i replaced the thermostat also please help???
here is a picture of what im talking about. also i think its getting into the OPTI because it sputters on my sometimes and i just replaced it lik 15k miles ago. IF it is the pump what is a good pump to get???

Old 05-25-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 94CamaroZ28SS
Okay i replaced all hoses to the water pump because i thought that might be it instead of investigating further so after i replaced them it continued to leak and i got back under the car and found that it is leaking from this hole on the water pump which i heard it was called a weep hole??? does this mean that the water pump is done? i replaced the thermostat also please help???
here is a picture of what im talking about. also i think its getting into the OPTI because it sputters on my sometimes and i just replaced it lik 15k miles ago. IF it is the pump what is a good pump to get???
If you can see, for sure, that coolant is leaking out the weep hole, then yes,
the water pump is bad and needs to be replaced. When the bearings/seals
go bad, water leaks around them and out the weep hole - it's an early warning
device to tell you the pump is about to go out in a bad way.

And yes, the water will leak down onto the Opti (distributor) and, basically,
"flood it". Since you have to replace the water pump, I recommend that
you remove the Opti, open it up and dry it out.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Launching!

And replace the WP sooner than later, as water can eventually cook your opti, which is an expensive part to replace.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as pumps go, I bought a NAPA replacement and the upper tube came COMPLETELY out while I was driving. I stuck it back in with some JB weld in as a temp fix until I could get it home. Took it back and checked the tube on the replacement and one of the tube also turned with little effort. Finally found one that was solid. The only thing good about it was that I was running straight water while trying to diagnose my overheating problem, otherwise it would have been a mess.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same problem...my water pump started going out...it leaked and took out my opti so my car is sitting until next paycheck (working 90 hours this week) then I'm replacing my opti w/ a delphi opti and my water pump w/ a meziere electric water pump that way I don't have to worry about it leaking coolant on my opti again
Old 05-25-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

my new replacement pump leaked from the hole a few days after i installed it(1yr ago) . didnt affect my opti at all. the weep hole doesnt sit directly over the opti. its sits slightly infront of it. but if your engine sputters then you probably are getting water inside the opti. you could also just jam a metal tube in there to direct the coolant away. get a brand new pump not a re manufactured one.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah the car hasnt overheated but i replaced the thermostat with a 180 degree so i think that is what might be keepin it cool and also the water still circulates regardless of the water pump working right? well i went and bought a brand new water pump from AutoZone its a Duralast and i compared it to the Cardone and it seems to be better in appearance and quality. i paid $150 with a lifetime warranty. I was looking at the Electric ones but too expensive for me!!! I am going to be replacing it tomorrow morning. Before i know it i will have replaced all the external parts on my engine and then the motor will be the last to go.......Oh yeah havent replaced the starter or alternator yet maybe i should start saving up now!!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 94CamaroZ28SS
yeah the car hasnt overheated but i replaced the thermostat with a 180 degree so i think that is what might be keepin it cool and also the water still circulates regardless of the water pump working right? well i went and bought a brand new water pump from AutoZone its a Duralast and i compared it to the Cardone and it seems to be better in appearance and quality. i paid $150 with a lifetime warranty. I was looking at the Electric ones but too expensive for me!!! I am going to be replacing it tomorrow morning. Before i know it i will have replaced all the external parts on my engine and then the motor will be the last to go.......Oh yeah havent replaced the starter or alternator yet maybe i should start saving up now!!!!
Alternator? Yep, that's probably next! And don't get an Autozone one, they squeak after a few hundred miles, had to take two back. Guy at the counter actually laughed at me that I was concerned about a squeak.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I replaced the Pump Last Night i started around midnight and finished up around 3 am fully cleaned up and running. The old pump was shot as you can see in the photos i could barely turn it over and the bearings were visable. i think i saved my OPTI i dried it off as best as i could and cleaned all around it. I drove the car all day today and there are no leaks and the car runs cooler because of the 180 Degree thermostat. I am extremely happy it went well. here are photo's of the new pump and the old pump and the front of the motor before i cleaned it all up and got it ready for the new Pump!
Attached Thumbnails Water Pump Leak Please Help??-damion-may-039.jpg   Water Pump Leak Please Help??-damion-may-037.jpg   Water Pump Leak Please Help??-damion-may-036.jpg   Water Pump Leak Please Help??-damion-may-035.jpg   Water Pump Leak Please Help??-damion-may-034.jpg  

Quick Reply: Water Pump Leak Please Help??