LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Just picked up an MSD Opti, would you like my opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A stock Opti and delteq was my first choice before I read that he was ill. I was considering adding an LTCC to the MSD but I really dont think it will be needed....But anything helps I guess...
Old 06-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Launching!

my msd opti works great
Old 06-01-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stuck my MSD opti on two years ago, still no issues here.........
Old 06-01-2008, 06:52 PM
12 Second Club

I would def like to hear since as soon as my insurance check comes in I will be buying a DynaSpark and a UMI Adjustable Torque Bar. If this is better then I will buy it.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good stuff guys, keep it coming.....I like to hear all these replies saying good stuff, especially from those who have had it on there for a little while. This wont just be one of those "I slapped it on and drove, so its good" reviews, I will definitely put a little effort into it and keep it updated as I rack up mileage and run time.

As soon as its back togeather it will be driven nearly everyday, sometimes for some decent trips around the state....Along with the hard track duty every week, so it should be a pretty good real world "what you can expect".
Old 06-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

i had the msd opti for about three months and never gave me a problem,to me the car ran smother in the higher rpm range, wish i didnt sell it but the motor blew eveyone is always need some cash
Old 06-02-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can add something to that last quote that everyone can agree with...

"everyone is in need of a little cash" - "When they own an LT/LS/anything thats worth modding"

It truely is a disease. When I bought my first F-car, I thought I would never touch it. How long did that last? Something like a week.....(It was actually days, the week was the waiting time for the lid/filter )

Nice car btw 95camaro383, Im very partial to the 93-97 Camaros and I can ALMOST see daylight under that front left
Old 06-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I would like your opinion especially considering your qualifications. I have a AC Delco oem replacement opti with Deltec now, but if the Deltec goes bad and there is no support, I will change back to the opti. I've seen a lot of high hp cars using the opti, so it seems that with a few modifications it may not be as bad as everyone thinks. Give it to us straight!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
A stock Opti and delteq was my first choice before I read that he was ill. I was considering adding an LTCC to the MSD but I really dont think it will be needed....But anything helps I guess...
PM me if you get the LTCC. im planning on getting it soon as my next mod, and if you need any coil mounting tips let me know.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by David94TA
Yes, I would like your opinion especially considering your qualifications. I have a AC Delco oem replacement opti with Deltec now, but if the Deltec goes bad and there is no support, I will change back to the opti. I've seen a lot of high hp cars using the opti, so it seems that with a few modifications it may not be as bad as everyone thinks. Give it to us straight!
I actually liked the delteq alot, and right around the time I was going to potentially pick one up.....The service stopped.

And dont worry, straight....not on the rocks.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
PM me if you get the LTCC. im planning on getting it soon as my next mod, and if you need any coil mounting tips let me know.
Definitely, once the MSD is broken in I might look into trying to accumulate some good coils and begin putting one togeather.

And as for mounting the coils, any advice to make it look clean is well appreciated.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
Definitely, once the MSD is broken in I might look into trying to accumulate some good coils and begin putting one togeather.

And as for mounting the coils, any advice to make it look clean is well appreciated.
i have a theory my dad is helping me with thatll mount the same coil brackets the 99+ LS1s use to the VCs, and you can use the 10mm bolts they use.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice, that would most likely the route I would take. Sounds very clean. And we all know the coils RIGHT above the plugs makes for a nice and easy change.

I like your SLP lid there, Id be all over that if I dident already have ram air.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heres a little update (If the mods do not like me bumping a nearly 2 month old thread, then delete and I will repost a new one....)

FINALLY got around to throwing in all the goodies I bought a month ago (I know, I know.... been awhile, been too busy recently to really get on it). As you all know, the point of this post was to give a pretty unbiased review of the MSD billet opti...

Took the first ride earlier today to make sure everything was ok, and just got back from a nice ride about an hour ago. Fired right up on the first time, AND right off the bat, no cranking. The first thing that struck me was how smooth it revved, which would be a more obvious change since my origional opti was crap. But past 4k its felt better than I think I have ever felt it......So either my origional opti was a little off for a real long time and threw no codes.......OR...... This opti has actually made a difference..... I lean torwards the first one, but ya never really do know I guess.

So if you dident want to read through all the BS and skipped right to the end, I will sum it up so far :

The MSD Pro Billet Optispark is a very quality piece, and I think more time on it will only proove to be better. IF it is installed correctly (AND I STRESS THIS, as most of the negative posts I have read have been error on the installers part...but not all) and you locktite those rotor screws/dont pinch that opti gasket you will get your moneys worth.

I will update again when Ive actually put 5k-10k on it.......and by then for sure there will be a few track passes and alot of spirited driving, but as of right now I feel its capable of taking a beating
Old 07-17-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

OEM f t w! Just my $0.02.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll add to this: MSD Opti installed a little over a year ago and almost 8k miles and never a hiccup.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:10 AM
Staging Lane

Ok I'd hate to bring this thread back but I'm adding to everyone's contribution. A couple weeks ago my stock opti shattered into about 30 pieces, I decided to go the MSD route with a Pro-Billet, little did I know what I'd run into.

I had a local shop replace it. When I got it back the car wasn't as lumpy and almost sounded as if it didn't have a cam. I knew something was up but hey I had my car back and running so who gave a ****. About 2 weeks later I was driving home and it stalled on me while going 40mph. I pulled over and tried starting it, nothing. I had it towed home and looked everything over. I couldn't find anything wrong with the motor.

I ended up taking it to a respectful LT1 shop by me. The MSD Pro-Billet wiped itself out within 2 weeks of owning it. The shop said they can salvage it but I'm really leaning towards a GMPP distributor now. Anyone want an MSD? Lol.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PWND3r
Ok I'd hate to bring this thread back but I'm adding to everyone's contribution. A couple weeks ago my stock opti shattered into about 30 pieces, I decided to go the MSD route with a Pro-Billet, little did I know what I'd run into.

I had a local shop replace it. When I got it back the car wasn't as lumpy and almost sounded as if it didn't have a cam. I knew something was up but hey I had my car back and running so who gave a ****. About 2 weeks later I was driving home and it stalled on me while going 40mph. I pulled over and tried starting it, nothing. I had it towed home and looked everything over. I couldn't find anything wrong with the motor.

I ended up taking it to a respectful LT1 shop by me. The MSD Pro-Billet wiped itself out within 2 weeks of owning it. The shop said they can salvage it but I'm really leaning towards a GMPP distributor now. Anyone want an MSD? Lol.

First, your OE Opti shatters, and then your big dollar MSD unit craps out ??!!

Man, that's a "DOUBLE OUCH" !!!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Teching In

Exclamation

I'll jump in on this one. My current motor spins well above 6500. I first blew up two waterpump impellers. Solution, Meziere electric waterpump. Then, it starting eating rotors. I replaced the first one with a brand new OEM opti.

This car sees alot of track time, it held up for awhile. So, I tried the then new, MSD cap and rotor, which I think and thought was a much better product than OEM. It held up for several months of racing, then kaboom! The rotor didn't shatter like OEM's, but just broke out on one end.

I replaced that with a brand spankin' new MSD billet opti. Oh, the Holy Grail! It is a nice piece. It held up fine for a few more months. Then, earlier this year, it blew on me while I was making a pass at strip. The rotor didn't shatter, or even come off. It just popped forward slightly, was rubbing the plastic backing plate, and trashed the optics.

I sent it back, and MSD r&r'ed it for 120. I removed the rotor, and installed it with the LTCC system. I had a few problems with the install, but otherwise I'm real happy with the LTCC.

Bottom line, I would probably stay with an OEM opti, for anything but a radical setup. The MSD cap and rotor are quality products, in my mind. The billet opti is probably a waste of money. I reused mine, because I already had it, and it was cheaper to go that route.

If you are spinning rpm, like I do, I would recommend staying with the OEM optics, and upgrading to the LTCC, if Mr. Rotorman is getting your goat!

I can pull optis in my sleep!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Haha good post, funny about the optis in your sleep....you run em' hard like I do.

I do plan on going with an LTCC at some point and totally removing the rotor, but I held off just to see how the MSD holds up. I think I have something like 2k in a month on mine, so its holding very nicely (lots of 6300 blasts, and a bit of cruising time).

I tend to agree with you on the "if your staying with a mild setup, the regular opti is fine" and it really is fine until you actually start upping the rev points. Thats where you start to run into trouble. My opti actually lasted into my cam setup a little bit, but bit the big one at the track (Im sure it was weakening slowly up until then, but thats when it chose to do the ole' "I'm going to die when I want" code 36 routine.

And the MSD stuff is quality in my mind too, most of the people who complain about the opti have never used of seen it (a couple names come to mind). All this was supposed to be is a nice review and a spot to post results THAT YOU HAVE ACTUALLY HAD with the opti.

Thats one hell of an Impala you got there too How do you like your MSD/LTCC?

Quick Reply: Just picked up an MSD Opti, would you like my opinion?