LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I'm looking for pics of DIY rear mount turbo installs

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm looking for pics of DIY rear mount turbo installs

Hey guys, My friend just gave me his old turbonetics turbo off of his 86 gn, it is an aftermarket turbo, needs a rebuild and i have no idea what size it is other than it is quite a lot bigger than the stock one. I'm looking for schematics or images of do it yourself rear mount turbo setups. I'd like to attempt one, but really havent had much experience with turbo charger installs, especially the unorthodox rear mount. help me start up this project. thanks
Old 06-05-2008, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind this is from what an STS guy told me, but apparently the rear mount turbos are a bit different than a front mount in the sense that they are engineered to make boost with much cooler exhaust. So you really wouldn't be doing any good by using a front mount turbo.

If you really are compelled to do it though, a google images search turns up a bunch of pics.

It looks like they really neck down the exhaust to get the turbo to spool.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you'll need bigger injectors and fuel pump as well, along with a new tune (for at least the injector upgrade). Getting your exhaust coated chrome will help quite a bit to keep in heat.

Last edited by Formula350; 06-05-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Banned

The turbo sizing is the biggest problem. On an LT1 350 you would want a 60-1 70 trim compressor, and at least a .63 T3 turbine. The stock pistons will lose the ring lands >6 psi and 6 psi won't have longevity.

With that setup on stock cam you will make ~375 RWHP at 6 ~425 RWHP @ 9

The other problem after turbo size is fitting it under car, I used an intercooler and made for a nice setup. The return oil pump is not cheap make SURE to get one rated for high temp oil or you will burn it up quickly and lose the setup.

I would make certain I knew the specs of turbo what worked great on a 3.8 L front mount is not ideaL for a 5.7 rearmount
Old 06-05-2008, 02:01 PM

I was thinking of doing a similiar set-up. I got a ton of help by some posts by a guy named super slow ss and zombie. Step by step with pics & everything. definately worth checking out. Here is the thread-
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/875935-help-custom-rear-mount.html
Old 06-05-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

WOW that looks like a lot of work but im sure its worth it good luck with it

Quick Reply: I'm looking for pics of DIY rear mount turbo installs