LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

missfire under load, newbie please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put 100 bucks into new wires and burned up number 6, the third one on the passenger side in two weeks...it can happen, you really have to be careful with the chevy motors and spark plug wires...make sure you take the time to run them in a nice location.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heres How It Went Down

Three weeks ago I replaced the original plugs and wires on my 95 Z28. The car didnt miss at all before I replaced the 14 year old plugs n wires. I replaced them with 8mm Taylor wires and NGK plugs. The car missed like crazy. Found out that the plug wires were arcing all over the place(at each plug end, the distributor, the coil). So I figured that it had to be the wires, so first I wrapped each wire in wire loom, still missed and arced threw the wire loom. Then I pulled the OPTI and checked it for crud inside, clean as the day it was new, still missed and arced. So then I bought a new set of factory 7mm wires, I firgured it had to be the taylor wires were just junk. Guess what? still missed and arced.

So after 3weeks of working on that POS, 1 trip to the Emergency Room (long story!!), and $$$ worth of throwing parts @ it. It turned out to be the brand new NGK T55GPs were junk. The spark wouldnt jump the plug gap all the time so it was just arcing out the wires. 8 new AC Delcos and no more miss. (Good thing cause I was ready 2 sell the bitch) haha...
Old 07-01-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad you fixed your problem

Quick Reply: missfire under load, newbie please help