LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opinion on mail order tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i cnt seem to find a reputable LT1 dynotuner in the newengland area... i guess im just not researching enough
Old 06-22-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
i cnt seem to find a reputable LT1 dynotuner in the newengland area... i guess im just not researching enough
Truth of it is, most placed dont dyno tune LT1s any more. Down here your looking on a LS1 $500 for a dyno tune, most the soft ware is so out dated for LT1s tuners dont want to mess with it and plus most people getting Lt1s nowadays, their cars barley run and have 20 different things wrong with them. What you could do is get a tune from Bryan Herter, get the car on a dyno and log the runs, send the logs back to him and have him make adjustments.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

They are really not around its pretty frustrating I can imagine. Theres luckiluy a couple around here but from what I see they are very very scarce.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
mail order tuning is very dependant on your thoroughness on the form and the tuner's skill. Just because something is popular does not mean it is good, or even if someone is good that does not mean they put forth the effort to get any more than a few high profile cars tuned well
Most set ups haven't really changed much, over all when I see an LT1 it runs the same combination of parts with few variations. Any one running any thing radical or different, probably safe to say has tunning capabilities. For the most part I bet the guys that have been around long enough have seen just about any off the shelf set up you can think of.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:15 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys- I'd imagine my tune would be pretty simple. Just an LT1 with headers and CAI basically, unless you count throttle body bypass and airfoil, which I'd imagine wouldn't be worth (or maybe not even capable) tuning for.

I'd think combos like that would be easy and safe to do as mail order tunes. They should be sort of dialed in and proven at this point, no?

I'm liking the idea of the one that sends a tuner out to you that you load yourself. They tell me they'll give me around 10hp more than the HPPIII I use now (which will go on ebay).
Old 06-23-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jedimaster71472
Hmm, was it lagging before and needed to be "broken in"?

No, I just wanted a sufficient amount of time, driving in ALL of the conditions that I normally drive in, before I formed an opinion.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't go wrong with Ion from madtuner.com
I have sent pcm to him 4 times and he treats me great... I email or call him with all my dumb questions and he always responds and does't talk to me like i'm a moron...
And he is quick too... I just sent one today and i can bet my paycheck that i'll have it back thursday...
Old 06-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Launching!

Well, I got a call from trifectaperformance.com today and he was very thorough. I think the dude sold me just by his attitude and knowledge.

Thanks to all who contributed

Last edited by jedimaster71472; 06-23-2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: I can has typo?
Old 06-23-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jedimaster71472
Well, I got a call from trifectaperformance.com today and he was very thorough. I think the dude sold me just by his attitude and knowledge.

Thanks to all who contributed
Let us know how you like it. I'm kind of inbetween them and Madtuner. Because I don't really want to take my PCM out and send it in, or have to pay a core charge to have a new one tuned and swap them out. When it comes time, I may just call up Ion, and see if I can take it there to have him tune it, since it's only about an hour and a half away anyways.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

If you have as simple setup a mail order tune is plug in and go. If you have something complex or something that is produces enough power to break stuff than learn to tune or pay someone else. My mailorder tune had basic mistakes that would make my car run terribly, and the worst part about it was that it was simply tuning to quickly and oversight sort of stuff. Had nothing to do with the setup.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Teching In

i got a mail order tune from madz28 and i could tell a difference right off the bat. I have email him a few times and hes alwas wright back. has anyone ever had there car dyno after having a mail order tune. just wounder what kind of gain ya got
Old 06-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

theres a company in provodince ri called ocean state performance. im not shure
how they do with a lt1 but a few years back i ran mustangs at the
track that ran 7.40's. there pretty good. i think theres also a place in hampstead nh that has a dyno. i forget the name and dont know how good they are.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Junkie

My madtuner/madz28 tune is kickass. Ion knows his **** and shipping is lightning fast and his email responses are on point and very quick. And if you call him, he'll pick up and talk to you. Real cool guy. He even took time out on christmas to help me out. I would recommend his services to anyone.