LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Quick question on installing Pacesetter LT's

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question on installing Pacesetter LT's

Im gonna install the black coated Long Tube Pacesetter headers with the o2 sensor fittings and stuff on my 93 trans am with auto tranny,was woundering if i need to use the o2 sensors or what? if i dont install them how will it run and how would i cap off the header o2 openings? the car is stock and would like to remove the exhaust system and re-install the stock one when i smog it in a year. Also what bolts do i use? and anything i should worry about when installing them on the car?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

If you install the headers, modifications will have to be made to re install the factory exhaust. You will need to keep your o2 sensors that are in the headers. o2 simulators can be found to delete the rear ones.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

i recently did an install of Pacesetters on my 96 trans am. the same ones you have. You HAVE to use o2 sensors in the front, the ones that go into the headers. if you got the y-pipe with no cats then you should get it tuned to have the rear o2s turned off. back to the front o2s i would suggest getting new ones and a good o2 extension, if you chose to use the kit from pacesetter make sure you extend it on the engine side, otherwise they wont work properly. On these cars if the o2 snesors are screwed up the car will run like crap at idle. As far as the install of the actual header go in from the bottom only takes like 5-10 minutes to get them both in place. i used a percy's gasket and the hardware that came with the headers with no issues. sorry for the novel but this is my experience with installing these.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:39 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

93's don't have rear O2's, do they?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

not sure about 93 i was just throwing that out there
Old 06-26-2008, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

yeah i dont see rear 02 sensors on my 93,and i will be using a summit x pipe,as far as the front o2's do they really need to have an extension? i just figured the stock setup could be stretched? and the bolts on the headers dont have a torque spec right?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Not sure where the bungs are on the Pcaesetters, but there's no way the stock O2 harness would reach on the Hookers. I'm thinking you're probably going to need the extenders. Try Racetronix for the extenders.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:06 PM

94's dont have rear 02 sensors so i would say 93 doesnt. Be careful removing old sensors if you use an open wrench they are easy to round off. spray them with WD-40. I think you can get a special socket to get them off easier. Also watch the sensor on the driver side when dropping headers in place. It is easy to break the plastic end off.

Last edited by 94z 05 hemi; 06-26-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:12 PM

torque on factory bolts are 30 ft lbs but the cheap bolts that came with the headers are pretty soft so dont use a 12 point socket. The 02 wires have to be extended 12 and 24 inches at least.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:41 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Only f-body's with rear O2's are OBD II vehicles 1996 and newer.

The T/A wont run smooth with out O2's. O2's let the computer know if the engine runs rich or lean it also makes fuel injection and emission controll possible.

if using the Pacesetter LT Y-pipe, you can modifie little to fit cats on there for smog test, i dont know how else youll do it if you go with X-pipe unless someone makes cats for X-pipe and you can swap it out that way.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Launching!

i put the coated lt pacesetters in my 93 z. i have an auto, i had to cut my bell housing a little bit. there are no rear o2 sensors on 93's. my driver side o2 sensor was long enough to reach on my drivers side. i lengthened the pass. side about 6-7 inches
Old 06-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Launching!

oh yeah and watch out for the oil pressure sending unit above the oil filter. mine got in a fight with the header and lost
Old 06-26-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GLT1
Im gonna install the black coated Long Tube Pacesetter headers with the o2 sensor fittings and stuff on my 93 trans am with auto tranny,was woundering if i need to use the o2 sensors or what? if i dont install them how will it run and how would i cap off the header o2 openings? the car is stock and would like to remove the exhaust system and re-install the stock one when i smog it in a year. Also what bolts do i use? and anything i should worry about when installing them on the car?
You can try to get the O2 sensors off the stock manifolds, that will be fun. If you can afford it i'd pick up some new ones. You do not cap off O2 sensors hole, you need those. The pacesetters come with bolts and wiring to extend the front O2's. I highly recommend pickign up some D port percy seal 4 good gaskets from autozone/advance, as the pacesetter gaskets suck.

As far as emessions, thats beyond me, if it's a sniffer, i don't see you passing with longtubes, I'm not sure though. If its visual, you'll need a cat, not sure if you could use the stock one or not.

yeah i dont see rear 02 sensors on my 93,and i will be using a summit x pipe,as far as the front o2's do they really need to have an extension? i just figured the stock setup could be stretched? and the bolts on the headers dont have a torque spec right?
See above regarding o2's. Good luck getting a torque wrench in there to put the proper ft lbs, lol.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you go through the trouble of putting the headers on your gonna want to kill yourselg when its time to put the manifolds back in.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Well heres the deal, Im gonna pass emissions before i swap in the headers and once i need to smog it again i will simply put in the stock exhaust back on, So you guys are saying the gaskets that come with the pacesetter headers are no good? then why would they include those?god dammit
Old 06-26-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Well heres the deal, Im gonna pass emissions before i swap in the headers and once i need to smog it again i will simply put in the stock exhaust back on, So you guys are saying the gaskets that come with the pacesetter headers are no good? then why would they include those?god dammit
Uhh...good luck putting the stock manifolds back on, big pita. And yes the pacesetter gaskets are junk, they will work temporarily, but they are paper and they like to adhere to the heads/header ports and blow/burn out.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Rear o2 sensors just verify if the cat is working or not. The car won't run any worse without them it will just show a service engine soon light. The o2 sensor extenders can be found at summit for around 12 bucks a piece, those are a must or they just won't fit.

You can get a cheap mail order tune and pick up a few horsepower with all your mods also. If you're going with an off-road y-pipe you might as well remove your air and egr systems at the same time. Just fab up a small sheet metal plate to cover where the egr system connects to the back of the intake manifold.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
if you go through the trouble of putting the headers on your gonna want to kill yourselg when its time to put the manifolds back in.
hahahaha This guy's been there before! LOL
Old 06-27-2008, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TDavanzo
Rear o2 sensors just verify if the cat is working or not. The car won't run any worse without them it will just show a service engine soon light. The o2 sensor extenders can be found at summit for around 12 bucks a piece, those are a must or they just won't fit.

You can get a cheap mail order tune and pick up a few horsepower with all your mods also. If you're going with an off-road y-pipe you might as well remove your air and egr systems at the same time. Just fab up a small sheet metal plate to cover where the egr system connects to the back of the intake manifold.
Im gona be running a summit x pipe with 304 mufflers dumped.Where can i get this mail tune? any links? also CHAVEZ 885 or anybody know which header gaskets to use from autozone?
Old 06-27-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

everyone always just tells me to use th fel pro manifold gasket. . .*shrugs* it gets the job done!