LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Most Reliable Injectors????

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95TransAm_ToM
What are the most reliable fuel injectors for a LT1, i have a guy tuning my car and he said LT1s are notorious for eating injectors,
LOL.. first I've heard of it. Considering my stock injectors went 100,000 miles without issues, and the LS6 injectors that replaced them went another 150,000 miles likewise I'd have to disagree. Who is this "tuner"?

im currently working on getting my heads and intake ported, with a custom cam. My injectors i think are already going out on me because she will start no problem when not ran for a while but if i drive it all day, when i go to start her back up, she just turns over the first time, then ill just turn it to off, and it will start right up the second time.
Sounds more like a bad fuel pump... when cold it's probably not that bad, but once it heats up it needs help (like priming the fuel lines with some pressure once, give the coil a change to cool then pumping hard the second time).

Check the pressure on your fuel rails... I'd bet it doesn't hold 41-43psi at idle of if it does rev the engine fairly hard (stab the pedel a bit) and see if it goes up (psi is reference to manifold pressure... going WOT should increase you to idle pressure + as much vaccum as you pull at idle). If the car lags for a second before going hard it's probably a dieing pump.

Injectors can go bad, but I've never seen it on an LT1.

If you decide to go with new injectors and you have a tuner, you may want to look at larger units anyway. Stock ones are really only good to about 400 hp safety...

Ford Racing injectors are very reliable and cheap. Stay away from Accel. RC Engineering injectors are nice but pricey.

If its just a heads/cam LT1 you shouldn't need more than some decent sized Ford racing units. (The green tops are 42# and probably overkill for what you need, I run 38.5# Terminator injectors on 500+hp NA... I'd look at 34-36# for good head room and decen upgrades).
Old 07-12-2008, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by simple
"LT1's notorious for eating injectors" ? thats just ignorant!
...sounds to me like another issue, that may be related to the fuel system!
LOL.. agreed... you beat me to it.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackz93
False. The new body style still has the same connector.
Not quite.

the "body style" is a completely separate issue from the electrical connector.

SN95 and fox-body mustangs used EV1 body style and the Jetronic connectors, just like LT1's.

LS1/LS6 engines then went to the more compact body style (and solenoid) which is known as the EV6 body style... but retained the Jetronic electrical connector.

Terminator engine connectors and newer Mustangs (as well as the newer LSx engines I think) went to the newer connector shape known as US-CAR.

If you have newer injectors than use the USCAR connector and want to use them on a Jettronic harness (like the LTx engines) you need an adapter. Caspers electronics makes adapters that go between the harness and injector, but the real trick set up are the ones I got for my Terminator injectors on my 396 LT1... Ford Racing makes these one-piece plastic adapters that clip onto the injector...very nice. When I got mine they we special order and even the dealers didn't have them in their computer listings... but now the secrets out and any Ford Racing dealer can probably get them for ya. I think they were about $55 for a set (cheaper then the ugly Caspers wire-patches).

So yes, you can get fat or narrow body injectors that plug right into LTx harness... but both body styles can be had with USCAR set ups as well (whcih require adapters).

Jetronic look square/rectangluar.... the USCAR ones are oval/round.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Steve in Seattle
Ford Racing injectors are very reliable and cheap.
BTW, I bought two sets of Terminator engine injectors with <5000 miles on them over ebay a few years back when planning my 396 build. I sent all 16 injectors to a company to have flow-tested so I could build a matched set of ~39# injectors. Guess what I got?

One set of EXACTLY identical max flow rates at 38.5#/hr, and another set with 6 at EXACTLY 38.5# and two at 39#.

The Ford Racing injectors come in standard (+/-5% flow) or a matched set for twice the cost (+/-1% flow)... the terminator take-offs were definitely the later.

Say what you want about Ford vehicles, but their Ford Racing program puts out top-notch injectors.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the only unreliable injectors were the old yellow Accels and the Venoms.

30lbs SVOs are closer to 32lbs on an LT1 at stock pressure and are enough to feeda 480rwhp NA motor if the tune is good.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by simple
"LT1's notorious for eating injectors" ? thats just ignorant!

if he is tuning your car, ask him what the injector duty cycle is, this number will help tell you if you currently have enuf injector or not. he should know this if he is a tuner!

sounds to me like another issue, that may be related to the fuel system!

now all 4th gen f-bodies are notorious for having weak OEM fuel pumps and this becomes very apparent when you start making more power (alot of times at stock power levels also).

you can do an injector leak down test.
a fuel pump leak down test.
and a FPR leak down test.

search for the ways how, i dont feel like typing it out.

a weak fuel pump will do what you are describing!
That would be the reason im on the tech, I wanted some info..... and i got it, thanks a lot, whatever will get me goin with a top end re-build of my LT1, dont wanna go in the wrong direction!!

Last edited by 95TransAm_ToM; 07-13-2008 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Forgot a part
Old 09-13-2008, 09:53 AM
FormerVendor

The stock Multec injector is very unreliable as far as injectors go.

Our rebuilt line of Bosch Design III's are among the most reliable injectors made, with only 1 moving part and a 3 year no questions warranty. Also, the SVO injectors (blue top etc.) were Bosch Design II's, the reason they are tough to find is SVO has switched to the new design III.

We also have the Design II's

For the Design II I can do the 30lb for $189.95 for the set of 8.

For the Design III's:
I can do 24-30lb for $189 for the set , 32-42lb for $269 for the set.

All our sets are flow matched and come with viton o-rings installed

We ship from the US with a flat rate of $11.60

~Rich
Old 09-13-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

not to hijack this thread, but i have 26lb accel injectors that were on the car when i bought it. What exactly is worng with them that EVERYBODY recommends not using them? Just wondering if i need to start saving for quality injectors, thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

[QUOTE=Steve in Seattle;9724801]

Ford Racing injectors are very reliable and cheap. Stay away from Accel. RC Engineering injectors are nice but pricey.[QUOTE=Steve in Seattle;9724801]

Whats wrong with accel injectors?
Old 09-13-2008, 01:59 PM
FormerVendor

The Accel, Trick Flow, Summit, etc. are all the same injector made by a company called standard.

They are just a cheap injector overall, mediocre design, weak coils, inconsistent spray patterns.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:02 PM
FormerVendor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emnax2J4FX4
Old 09-13-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

you guys got any 42lb injectors?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:35 PM
FormerVendor

Sure! We have new Bosch 42's for for $49.95 each.

We have new Lucas 42's for $42.50

We have the Bosch Design II rebuilts for $239.95 for the set of 8.

And the Bosch design III rebuilts for $269.95

All sets are flow matched, Viton o-rings installed, and shipping is a flat $11.60.

~Rich
Old 09-13-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While on the subject of injectors, any know issues with Seimens 36#'s? Part #9267? Interestingly enough, these came out of a LS1 car, and they are taller than the injectors that came out of my LT1?? I thought someone up above posted they would be shorter.

Anyone else running these in a LT1? I hope I won't have issues.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:28 AM
FormerVendor

Siemens Deka injectors are very good.

If they are used we offer our refurbishing service for $15 each for top feed injectors to make sure they are at their best.

Quick Reply: Most Reliable Injectors????