LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

coil pack conversion? or way toget rid of opti ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coil pack conversion? or way toget rid of opti ?

is the a kit out that would allow me to delete the opti spark system? I am picking um a 93 ta and wana get rid of the opti all together or maybe even go carb while I am at it does anyone offer a kit for this?
Old 07-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.lt1howto.com/articles/coilpack.htm

there you go
Old 07-18-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I would not **** with it. Most kits like the one above still use the optical sensor in the opti. So now really all you have done is complicated the ignition system further! Just put a new gm vented opti in and you will be golden!
Old 07-18-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
I would not **** with it. Most kits like the one above still use the optical sensor in the opti. So now really all you have done is complicated the ignition system further! Just put a new gm vented opti in and you will be golden!
Exactly. The optical sensor is the LT1's cam sensor. You still have to have a functioning opti in place if you want to use a different system. I have heard of people taking the optical sensor and fabbing it inside of a HEI distributor. But why go through all that work. The stock ignition system is more than adequate for most people's needs. If you keep the water pump properly sealed and don't get water on the opti, then there is no reason why an AC Delco opti shouldn't last for 100K+ miles. My OEM opti lasted 140K.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

if your car is stock just keep the opti the way it is, no reason to change.
Now if you have my issues...then thats a different story.
I keep spinning the rotor off the opti, the rotor has a plastic base that has these little cheapo plastic tabs that hold the metal tip of the rotor to the base, those seem to be prone to letting go above 6k rpm
They say the msd opti is good to like 10k rpm but for the same money you can do a ltcc mod and take the spark out of the opti.
IMO the optical sensor portion of the opti is a very good product now the cap and rotor I have a different opinion on those.
So anyway i had issues with the rotor holding up in the opti and went to the ltcc cause i dont want to mess with it anymore, i got a set of low mileage ls2 mitsubishi coil packs and the ltcc, i am waiting for the harness to get in, should be done next weekend and i will be posting a thread with pictures for those interested in the mod.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

i say forget the opti theory in general and go with a sbc carb... thats what iam doing cant stand the issue i had with the opti juss my 2 cents

Quick Reply: coil pack conversion? or way toget rid of opti ?