LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help after PS install with pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help after PS install with pics

Hey guys I hope someone can help. I finished my Pacesetter Longtube install this morning. I got them both in, bolted down, and put everything on the top back together. I then got under the car to deal with the Y-pipe and was a little shocked to see that the drivers side header is so high up, that there is no way the y-pipe would go on because the frame rail is in the way. And it isn't by a little. It looks to be about 3/4 of an inch or more too high. Has anybody else had this happen and if so what the hell did you do about it?

As you can see, they were used headers when I bought them and the previous owner had flanges welded on. But the header opening itself is still too high even if the flanges were not there.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont personally have lts but how are your motor mounts because if theyre squashed and you got the typical energy trans mount that can prolly cause this
Old 07-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Teching In

i just got done doing my p.s lt this morning an i just took a pry bar an pushed the header down a lil bit an the y-pipe on the drivers side should have a lil indent where it goes on the header so that it dont hit the frame rails and then mine fits perfectly
Old 07-19-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 97HawkLT1
Hey guys I hope someone can help. I finished my Pacesetter Longtube install this morning. I got them both in, bolted down, and put everything on the top back together. I then got under the car to deal with the Y-pipe and was a little shocked to see that the drivers side header is so high up, that there is no way the y-pipe would go on because the frame rail is in the way. And it isn't by a little. It looks to be about 3/4 of an inch or more too high. Has anybody else had this happen and if so what the hell did you do about it?

As you can see, they were used headers when I bought them and the previous owner had flanges welded on. But the header opening itself is still too high even if the flanges were not there.

what the hell..
Old 07-19-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's only two possibilities, really.. either the motor mounts are shot and the trans mount is good like the above that was posted, causing the engine to be tilted forward more than it should.. or the header is bent/twisted a bit. Or a combination of the two.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Purple95Z28
There's only two possibilities, really.. either the motor mounts are shot and the trans mount is good like the above that was posted, causing the engine to be tilted forward more than it should.. or the header is bent/twisted a bit. Or a combination of the two.
Well I inspected the headers fairly well and I am reasonably sure that they aren't twisted but who knows. However, the motor mounts are original and I do have a new (OE replacement) trans mount so maybe that is it. I guess I will replace the motor mounts and hope for the best. Thanks for the quick reply guys. I will post up with the results when its done.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Launching!

OK no luck finding replacements locally. Autozone wanted $120 EACH and they had to order them. So now I am going to order a pair of Prothane Polyurethane mounts instead. So I probably won't be able to finish this until next weekend.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

You would have more room if it wasn't for those bolt-on collectors, normally, the PS LTs have a slip-on flange & the Ory just slips over the ends, the DS is tricky because of the frame rail, but the notch in the Ory lets it fit once it is slipped into place with some wiggling & slight prying, looks like those Headers were modified & had bolt-on flanges built on them, or am i missing something.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

just get brand new headers,and sell those to someone else.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

he definetly doesnt want to go through the hassle of putting another set of LT's on that car. really looks like motor mounts are causing that.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LM97Z
You would have more room if it wasn't for those bolt-on collectors, normally, the PS LTs have a slip-on flange & the Ory just slips over the ends, the DS is tricky because of the frame rail, but the notch in the Ory lets it fit once it is slipped into place with some wiggling & slight prying, looks like those Headers were modified & had bolt-on flanges built on them, or am i missing something.
I addressed the collectors in the original post. They aren't helping but it wouldn't matter if they were not there.

Originally Posted by GLT1
just get brand new headers,and sell those to someone else.
You want to buy them? I will do 500 shipped

Originally Posted by wickedformula
he definetly doesnt want to go through the hassle of putting another set of LT's on that car. really looks like motor mounts are causing that.
Exactly! New mounts are on order.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Teching In

also do yourself a favor and get all energy suspension mounts, engine and trans, as this will eliminate any possibilities and the stock trans mount is kinda weak anyway
Old 07-21-2008, 10:26 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thtas how the PS are, yea its a tad high but thats why the PS y pipe has a notch in it.

I have first hand experience with just this, I had a 3 bolt flange put on mine so i could run bullets. I had my crossmember notched so I could do this though.

Ill try and find pix.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:23 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the mounts dont solve the problem i would do some BFH in that area.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a big hammer and pound that sumbitch into shape. I had to bend my pipe a little bit and hammer the **** out of the frame.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Launching!

The way it is now, the BFH mod would not suffice. But I am hoping the new mounts will solve the problem. And if not, then I will go to town on the frame rail. AHHHH the joys of owning an LT1
Old 07-22-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As others have mentioned, that's why the Pacesetter Y-pipe has the notch in the driver's side.

Quick Reply: Help after PS install with pics