LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Auxillary oil pressure port

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Auxillary oil pressure port

I have a question on the auxillary oil passage port, link to pic on shoebox's site.

http://shbox.com/1/aux_oil_port.jpg

1. I'm assuming that my 96 LT1 will have this 1/4 NPT plug sitting in the block
2. Can I use this location as a secondary spot for a separate oil pressure guage?
3. Will the pressure be more accuarate coming off this port or will the factory oil pressure sensor location (drivers side back of the manifold, link to pic:
http://shbox.com/1/oil_pressure_sensor.jpg ) be more accurate for oil pressure.

Ultimately, I would like to keep my factory guage for oil pressure connected to the OEM location and use the auxillary oil port for the aftermarket guage. Opinions appreciated.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 96silverram
I have a question on the auxillary oil passage port, link to pic on shoebox's site.

http://shbox.com/1/aux_oil_port.jpg

1. I'm assuming that my 96 LT1 will have this 1/4 NPT plug sitting in the block
2. Can I use this location as a secondary spot for a separate oil pressure guage?
3. Will the pressure be more accuarate coming off this port or will the factory oil pressure sensor location (drivers side back of the manifold, link to pic:
http://shbox.com/1/oil_pressure_sensor.jpg ) be more accurate for oil pressure.

Ultimately, I would like to keep my factory guage for oil pressure connected to the OEM location and use the auxillary oil port for the aftermarket guage. Opinions appreciated.
Yes, that's where most hook up an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. I think that the accuracy would depend on the gauge.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Maybe I should say, "will the pressure be greater at the auxillary port or the OEM upper location". I thought the oil pressure was a little higher the closer you are to the oil pan. Not sure, but I thought I remember someone saying the OEM location will read less pressure because it sits clear at the top of the block ?
Old 07-23-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe I should say, "will the pressure be greater at the auxillary port or the OEM upper location". I thought the oil pressure was a little higher the closer you are to the oil pan. Not sure, but I thought I remember someone saying the OEM location will read less pressure because it sits clear at the top of the block ?
I think it would read higher.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could always try both. Id be interested to find out Ive always used the lower port with a tester and with the auto meter and my auto meter was damn near the same as a hand held gauge I know my car sits at like 40-50 psi with it there lower when it warms up of course
Old 07-23-2008, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Cold start, my oil pressure is somewhere in the 55-60 range then starts to come down when the motor warms up about 40 ish (It's hard to tell with the factory oil guage, there so in-accurate). I think I'm going to use the auxillary port so I don't have to mess with my OEM oil pressure sensor.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

The normal rule of thumb is 10 psi for every 1000 rpm. If you have more than that, you're fine.

Quick Reply: Auxillary oil pressure port