LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hotcam Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Hotcam Springs?

I did a search but couldn't really find what I was looking for. I am going to put a hotcam kit in my car but I hear the springs are relatively weak. I was wanting to know if anyone has used this cam but just reused the springs or purchased different ones? I know there are better performing cams out there but we had one out back in our warehouse and the boss said I could have it. I figure it might be worth a saturday to put it in.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
I did a search but couldn't really find what I was looking for. I am going to put a hotcam kit in my car but I hear the springs are relatively weak. I was wanting to know if anyone has used this cam but just reused the springs or purchased different ones? I know there are better performing cams out there but we had one out back in our warehouse and the boss said I could have it. I figure it might be worth a saturday to put it in.
first off you are correct the springs that come in the kit are only rated to something like .525 lift which is relatively low especially if you upgrade to another cam. this being said they will 'work' with the hotcam but if you ever plan on going to another cam with more lift then i would say spend the extra 174.70 (exactly as it reads on my receipt from summit that includes delivery) the part number is CRN-10308-1 Dual valve springs, they are one of the more commonly used sets and work great for me with a cam that has a total lift of .565 intake and .576 exhaust with a 1.6 rocker.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

nice name btw too, we should have a pony hate section on this site i'd be in their everyday.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
nice name btw too, we should have a pony hate section on this site i'd be in their everyday.
Thanks I appreciate it. I was almost put that on my license plate but I was affraid of getting negative feedback and some mustang junkie cutting my tires at walmart. Also thanks for the imput. I work for a dealer and we had ordered a kit for someone like 2 years ago and he never came to get it. The boss was going to send it back and have to charge it to the shop so I asked him if I could have it, and so now its in my closet. I am waiting to get some lt's and an ory to go with my gmmg before I put the cam in.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
first off you are correct the springs that come in the kit are only rated to something like .525 lift which is relatively low especially if you upgrade to another cam. this being said they will 'work' with the hotcam but if you ever plan on going to another cam with more lift then i would say spend the extra 174.70 (exactly as it reads on my receipt from summit that includes delivery) the part number is CRN-10308-1 Dual valve springs, they are one of the more commonly used sets and work great for me with a cam that has a total lift of .565 intake and .576 exhaust with a 1.6 rocker.
not to hijack the thread,but would those springs work with the stock heads and cam aswell? i'm running aftermarket rocker arms(1.60)
Old 07-24-2008, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Toronto_LT1
not to hijack the thread,but would those springs work with the stock heads and cam aswell? i'm running aftermarket rocker arms(1.60)
i have stock heads, but i cant recall if the heads need any machining to fit the dual valve springs for some reason i think they do, but i honestly couldn't tell you for sure. i just know i have seen that part number come up more than any other for aftermarket spring if you do a search. and of coarse they would work with the cam, unless there is something im missing.

Quick Reply: Hotcam Springs?